“Outrigger does it Again!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #22 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Mahopac, New York
“Outrigger does it Again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is the third Outrigger we've stayed at and it did not disappoint. First, the location is fantastic and I can't emphasize that enough. You are so close to beautiful beaches, attractions, shopping and restaurants there is no need to drive far distances once situated. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient. We had a second floor unit and it was beautifully decorated, had great appliances and several upgrades. The lanai was spacious and it was quiet outside.
One thing to note, we were initially checked into a different unit for the first night. At first I overlooked the lack of pride the owner took in maintaining the unit. Everything appeared original, it was screaming for a paint job and the overall decor and furniture resembled the uniform color of oatmeal. (unit 2204). There were other issues too but after a rough night with a poorly working AC unit in the bedroom I expressed my frustrations to the front desk and they were responsive and offered us a different unit which we loved. So, as other reviewers have mentioned, units can differ and if you have issues with yours- speak up!

Room Tip: If you prefer a second floor unit there aren't elevators so be prepared to haul your luggage and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Aloha Heidi D and Mahalo for sharing your observations of our property with the Trip Advisor readers. We are pleased to hear that you found the location to be well suited for your vacation plans. I am also happy that you noticed the efforts of the Home Owners Assocaition as they are very proud of their slice of paradise and they mean to be good stewards of this 10 acre property. Additionally, and equally important, was your comments about the staff. Although we strive to get it right from the beginning, if by chance the unit selected for you does not live up to your expectations, we usually have some other options for you to consider and I am pleased that the staff found a unit that you loved. Finally, we like the feedback about our units as it is very usefully information for the owner and we will use this to better the expertience for others. With your favorable review, we look forward to your next visit with us. Mahalo. Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nice surprise. Beautiful large condos, friendly staff and a Wailea address at a great value. Try this resort you will love it. Grounds immaculate, and so peaceful and quiet. These condos are fully stocked, clean, beautiful lanai's with BBQ, table chairs. Has everything you could possibly need. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: All are great and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Aloha John D. We are so pleased to hear your kind words as it is our goal to exceed our guest expectations. You recognized many things that are important to us and we know these are the elements of a very nice vacation. You also recognized the great value of our property and we agree that it is a 'Wailea property at a Kihei price'. We look forward to your return visit. Mahalo. Matt
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprise how nice Outrigger Palms was. We were greeted with a friendly, helpful staff and had an oceanview condo. This condo had a fully stocked kitchen and beach chairs, mats and umbrella's were provided. You are close to everything with many great beaches. I would suggest Wailea Beach, Makena State Park Beach. This place is quiet we normally go to Kannapali but after visiting Kannapali we all agreen Wailea feels more like a vacation. Kannapali have tons of people everywhere. You are better off just visiting Kannapalai. The condo was big and spacious and just a great feeling all around. Couples, Kids would all love this place

Room Tip: try to get a ocean view room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Mahalo for taking the time to comment about your recent stay here with us. We certainly appreciate your kind words and others will value your recommendations. I believe that you have captured some key points about our hospitality, our accommodations as well as the Wailea Resort. Mahalo for sharing this with the Trip Advisor readers.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

As a first-time visitor, it's always difficult to choose a home base; you're faced with choosing a home away from home in a place you've never visited before. My husband and I have traveled alot, and we've made some good and some not-so-good choices. For us, the Outrigger Palms at Wailea was a very good choice.

The location, on the border betweem Wailea's swanky resorts and Kihei's more beachy downscale condos and hotels, was central to everything we wanted to do on Maui. The immediate neighborhood was upscale and gorgeously landscaped, and we felt very moved in, like locals, within the first day.

Everything we wanted to do was a short drive away, from the history of Lahaina to snorkeling and whale watching tours out of Ma'alaea Harbor. Great restaurants were plentiful, but so were less costly family friendly choices in Kehei.

In a condo development as large as the Palms, I'm sure the individual units vary, so I can only tell you about the experience in our particular unit - #404. Through Orbitz, we booked a package deal - airfare, condo and rental car. Our package included a one bedroom/two bath garden view unit. A few days after booking we were advised that a one bedroom was unavailable, but the Palms would offer a two-bedroom for the same price. No problem there. Because A/C is only included in the master bedroom, I called after booking to request A/C throughout the condo. There's an additional charge of $20/day, but to keep peace with the hubby I felt the extra cost was worth it. When I called about the A/C I mentioned that we were celebrating my husband's 50th birthday and our 20th anniversary. I'm guessing this is why when we checked in, our condo was not garden view, but ocean view.

The condo itself was lovely. #404 is a 2nd floor condo (no elevator - be prepared to carry luggage up a flight of stairs - with a wonderful lanai (patio) overlooking the grounds. We were just steps to the pool and hot tub, and made good use of each.

We had no use for the 2nd bedroom, but if you do, it's a nice sized room with a murphy bed. If you've got kids they'd love it. Both bathrooms are very nice. The 2nd bathroom - which my husband got by default, is a very traditional 3-piece with sink/toilet/tub/shower. The master bathroom in our unit had a big old bathtub sort of in the bedroom, A little weird, but also kind of cool. It had a huge marble countertop with a sink, as well as a separate room with the toilet and walkin shower.

The kitchen. What can I say about the kitchen? I'm a cook, and I really like a nice kitchen, so I'm torn here. Every single thing I needed to make a cocktail, breakfast, lunch, was close at hand. The appliances are a million years old, and yet everything worked perfectly. What I'm trying to say is, don't be put off by an 80's kitchen. The fridge is old, the oven/microwave even older, but they all function well. The dishwasher is newer, and also works well.

Sheets are good; towels are good and ample. Pillows are less than wonderful, but I'm picky and I travel with my own, so I don't care. And my husband, who is blissfully less picky, slept like a baby.

Lastly, and probably of no interest to anyone but me and the hubby, the birdwatching on the property is surprisingly good, with 10 or 12 new to us birds running around the grounds. More importantly to most of you, the concierge at the condo was wonderful, finding us luau tickets at a moment's notice. The pool was just lovely, and even when the pool area was busy the pool itself felt very private.

Bottom line: Great location, great condo, great vacation. If I could have my cats shipped here, and if I could win the lotttey, I'd never move!

Room Tip: We really liked the 2nd floor, as it seemed more private.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and Mahalo for providing a very thorough review of our resort, our individually owned accommodations along with your kind words of support. I believe that you have done a good job in capturing some key points about what we offer. A word of clarification for the Trip Advisor readers... generally speaking our second bedroom has twin beds which can be pushed together to a King (if requested) and all of our condos have sofa sleeper... and so you are correct in that we are a great property for families as our 2 bedroom unit can accommodate up to 6 persons. We were thrilled that you chose our property for your birthday/anniversary celebration and look forward to your second visit.
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Let's face it, this is not a four or five-star lodging. But, it's spacious and quiet. Just down the street from the Four Seasons so the location is superb. We drove a short distance to hangout at the beach at the Four Seasons (public). As long as your expectations are realistic, you'll love staying at this condo. That said, if you're looking for more activities, you should stay closer to Ka'anapali.
Do not miss sunrise at Haleakala and be sure to bundle up. I was there at the end of April and there was still ice on the ground. I did not do research before hand and was dressed only in t-shirts and shorts while others were wearing down coats.

Room Tip: No need to pay extra for an "ocean view" room since the view is obstructed due to other st...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt S, General Manager at Palms at Wailea, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to post a review of your stay here at the Outrigger Palms of Wailea. I am pleased that you appreciated the exellent value of our spacious accomadations along with the tranguility of our beautiful property within the Wailea Resort. Most of our guests love coming back to our little oasis after a long day enjoying all that Maui has to offer and so we agree that the location is superb. Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your insight as well as your advice about appropriate attire on the top of Haleakala as most don't know that it can even snow up there as it is 10,000 feet above sea level. Again, thank your for your review and we look forward to your return visit.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed in condo 1604 for 3 nights while on Maui. This is a beautiful condo and the owners have thought of almost anything you could need. The open concept living and dining area is sunken with a lanai off the living room part. The kitchen windows also can be opend to it and there are bar stools as well asa table with four chairs. The lanai off the bedroom has two loung chairs and a storage bin with beach mats and chairs.
Two bathrooms one with a shower and the master bath with a tub and shower. The master aslo have his and her sinks and a separate toilet stall. Ample closet room if you are staying for a while and need to bring tons of stuff.
The kitchen is full sized and has everythign you need, including a dishwasher.
There is a short drive or walk to the beach, but we didn't find it to be a hassle at all.
VERY friendly desk service as well.
The only problem I found at all, was the master bath toilet wasn't perfectly clean and a bit of dust in the corners.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to write your very thorough review of your accomadations here at the Outrigger Palms of Wailea. Along with the owner of this condominium, we are so pleased to hear your kind words. Addtionally, and equally imprortant, you recognized that the staff here enjoy what they do as it is fun to be part of a pleasant vacation and we are honored that you chose our property. Please let us know in advance when you would like to return so that we can continue to provide the excellent service for you.
Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The insides are extremely dated for what they charged per night. However the location, grounds, and pool were all 5 star. Beach was 5-10 minute walk, grocery was 8 minute drive, restaurants were 5-10 minutes away. I would probably stay here again, just wish either the rates were a little lower to reflect the insides or the upgraded the insides. Unit #1301.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aloha and Mahalo for taking time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor readers. However, it is important for readers to note that Outrigger Hotels and Resorts does not manage #1301.

Been to Palms at Wailea? Share your experiences!