“Cheap and just right for the money” 3 of 5 stars

Days Inn Maui Oceanfront
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2980 S. Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
San Francisco
“Cheap and just right for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed here at the end of July for a couple of nights because we decided last minute to take an earlier flight to Maui. Nabbed a great deal by bidding on priceline at a rate much less than the $89 minus Triple AAA discount. Here's a summary of our two night stay~

Pros:
1) Polite staff
2) Free parking but parking spaces are tight
3) Hotel price is less than most dinners you'd pay for a couple's night out
4) Hotel sits right on beach and takes less than a minute from your room to get there
5) Laundry room facility/coffee maker/mini fridge (if you're too lazy to make coffee--they have complimentary coffee at the office every morning)
6) Complimentary internet use (office computer but no printer)
7) Heard other guests rave about the great restaurant at base of hotel (too expensive for our budget)
8) Fairly good restaurant next door at Mana Kai (we only went for the half off appetizers at happy hour from 3-7pn and $6 for spicy tuna rolls was sooo worth it! One drink per person minimum so we bought the $5 mai tais)

Cons:
1) Hotel's exterior/interior is pretty dated
2) TV is old
3) Window faux wood blind slats were broken-we had to manually fix slat so folks couldn't peek from the outside
4) Tile floor took some getting used to
5) Room is smaller than most hotels
6) Bathroom looks like it's from the 70s
7) Bed has some type of memory foam layer that I didn't care for

Overall, I'd come back to Days Inn because you can't beat the price. Should know my husband and I can adapt to almost anything (except Aston Maui Lu).

Room Tip: If you don't bid through priceline but gt through a different site--make sure to mention your AA...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
porsche4jay, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Maui Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
First of all I want to thank everyone who wrote a reveiw of their experience at our hotel. On behalf of the new ownership of the Days Inn Maui Oceanfront I would like to aplogize to all guests who experienced one problem or another. Please know that our main priority is you, our loyal guests. The hotel was just bought by our company in the middle of June, 2012 and we assure all our guests that we will work hard to provide you with the best service, quality and accommodations each and every time you stay at our Days Inn & Suites Maui Oceanfront Inn hotel.

We have plans to update and renovate many areas of property and even though our rooms might be small in size, we promise you that our staff will go over and byond what is needed to make sure your stay is comfortable and satisfactory. We encourage each and every guest to contact management each time they have an issue or complaint to insure those issues and complaints are resolved to your expectations.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to serving your accommodation needs in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I'll start with the positives! It is a great location. It is right on the beach. There are two outstanding restaurants on each side. The bed is very comfortable. The staff is very nice, friendly and helpful. A good note; there are new owners and they do plan on updating it so maybe by the time you go, it'll be nicer :)

Now, the only reason I gave anything above a "1" is because of the above mentioned! The first room we went in was upstairs, 2nd floor. We wobbled up the stairs with our luggage and opened our door and much to our surprise..it was not cleaned at all. The beds were still unmade and nothing clean. We wobbled back down the stairs with luggage, back to the office. With apologies, we were given another room which was right beside the restaurant which shared the tiny parking lot (another issue).
We sat our luggage down and attempted to close the blinds so we could go to bed...nope, they were broken. They would not close. We went to the bathroom to discover that the shower stall (no tub) was old and cracked and had no light in the shower stall at all. There are no ledges, shelf or anything for which to put shampoo, soap or anything. We had to set items in the floor. The only light in the bathroom is over the sink.
The floor had a spill which had not been cleaned which became even more evident that floor had not been mopped at all because when I got to the bed, my feet were black! I carried a wash cloth and towel to the bedside to clean my feet (which by the way, only one wash cloth is placed in the room each day!)
We called Priceline to ask them to get us another motel since we paid them for the reservation. They would not accommodate us AT ALL- I will not use them again!!
We went back to the office and they told us they were booked and could not move us. We were forced to sleep in the room with broken shades until morning when the manager came in.
He took us to 3 rooms, all of which had broken showers, no lights in the shower stalls, and all needed paint and general upkeep! The hair dryers looked antique! A box on the wall with a hose that looked like a vacuum hose. Finally found a room with blinds that would shut for privacy and since we already paid priceline, we had to stay. The third day I bought bleach and cleaned the floors by hand down on my knees with a towel!
The rooms on the restaurant side are noisy late at night when those who are a little too happy are leaving, and the other side is a public access to the beach right beside our door! As you step out of our door, there are scuba lessons about 15 ft away. If you pay more for the "ocean front" room, the restaurant uses your patio to seat dining guest and there is only "people view" instead of "ocean view".
Parking! Oh My Goodness!! The spaces are so small you can hardly get out of the car! and the restaurant takes up the parking so you have to park in the gravel parking lot for public access on the other side. Which we ended up liking better, because you are able to get in and out of your car without squeezing it in or denting the other car.
If you want cheap, right on the ocean, go for it! If you want anything nice at all, DO NOT go to this one!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Lethbridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I have just stayed three days at the Maui days inn oceanfront hotel and only did so because we decided to extend our honeymoon three extra days and the condo we had rented already had new renters coming in. The reason I had chosen to rent this place is 1. because I had got it on hotels.com for 85 dollars and night and 2. because it had a 3.6 out of 5 star user rating and so I thought it would be not bad. From the moment my wife and I walked into our room we were greeted with the smell of mildew, and it was strong. We promptly looked around our dark, small but fairly clean room and then left to Safeway to buy and air freshening candle. Trying to sleep in any time past 5 a.m. is a real chore at this place. The first night we did not sleep with the a/c on since it was one of the noisiest ones I've ever heard but then were awakened at 2 am by the sound of a dying cat. By 5 am all you can hear is very noisy birds and the sound of the people and their children next door. The second night we tried to sleep with the a/c because at least it was a constant noise and hoped it would drown out the other noises. It did help quite a bit but still found it hard to sleep past about 6 am since the sun shone through our broken slatted blinds. By the final night we kept the a/c on and I had hung up beach towels across the windows to make curtains and we were able to sleep until 8 am like we wanted.
I will not be coming back here, and recommend that you spend the extra 15-30 bucks a night a get some place better.
I will mention that the staff were very nice and did let us have a late checkout of 2 pm but other than the staff the accommodations were not good at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Those who wrote any bad reviews of the Days Inn in S. Kihei are just overly picky!! My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to experience Maui for 2 weeks and Days inn became home for us!! Super clean! Right on the beach, next to a five star restaraunt! The only downside is the size of room. But, if one doesn't over pack then you're good to go!! Days Inn is a bit out of the way but truly the best! The staff is amazing!! Make sure to experience hana road!! Also, oceans down the street always has great concerts there! And local boys has the best shaved ice, must try it in Lahaina!! Hope this helps!!

• Stayed August 2011

Graham, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I visited Maui for our third time in March. We usually stay in condos but found that everything was booked for Spring Break (we usually visit in May). We were very excited about the prices offered by the Days Inn but also very cautious because it was so much cheaper than we've paid in the past! This hotel has a lot of mixed reviews, so I called to speak with an employee directly before booking. I simply told her of some of the reviews and explained to her my concerns. She was very honest with me in saying that the rooms were very small, but clean. The only time we are EVER in our room when we visit Maui is to shower and sleep, so we decided to give it a go. The room is indeed small, and the shower was even smaller, but overall it was comfortable enough for the two of us. It gets rather stuffy at times (there is a window unit AC), which made the sandy floor feel sticky because of the sand. However, for the price, we thought we had a steal! The beach is amazing and the nearby restaurants were fantastic. I would recommend this hotel for low maintenance couples who don't mind close quarters and are in Maui to enjoy the island! We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor room, but there were upper story (2) rooms as well. I would suggest requ...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Pella, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I selected Days Inn Maui Oceanfront due to the lower cost. As another reviewer stated, I thought maybe the poor reviews were the exception. I also was wrong. The first staff person I met was rather high-strung and appeared very nervous about doing his job. I didn't see him the rest of the week and wonder if he still works there. Apart from that initial meeting, all the other staff I dealt with were friendly and professional.
When I entered the room, I was immediately struck by the pungent stench of mold/mildew. The room was hot and stuffy and the air conditioner and ceiling fan (which was mounted directly above the bed a couple feet in front of the air conditioner and had only one speed) were not on. When I turned the air conditioner on, it made a banging sound that was very loud and disturbing. Further, it was mounted in the wall directly above the head of the bed, which became an issue later. I finally thought I could check the front face of the conditioner, thinking that maybe it was loose. I forgot that the ceiling fan was right there running at high speed until I got hit full force on the ear. I complained to the front desk about the noise and they said they'd have maintenance check it the next day. When I got back in the next day, no more noise. I assumed it had been fixed. But then a maintenance guy came to the door and told me that it wasn't making any noise when he was there earlier. I figured it took care of itself until it started banging again in the middle of the night. I complained again and they replaced the unit. This was much better, quieter and the room didn't smell as bad with the new unit. But the the ceiling fan started rocking back and forth, which it didn't do before they changed the air conditioner. It was bad enough that I didn't use it again after that. A couple hours later I noticed that the new air conditioner dripped directly onto the pillow of the bed, which was completely soaked through by the time I noticed the drip. So I removed the pillow and moved the bed up against the bathroom wall. I complained again and they replaced the unit again, this time with an older model that didn't cool as well and that smelled badly of mold and mildew. Now all that said, I didn't expect to spend a lot of time in the room. But the problems made it difficult to sleep, which in turn detracted somewhat from the vacation. Some of the positives of the hotel: near the beach, friendly staff, easy to find. I'll go back to Maui, but I'll pay more and I'll stay somewere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Everyone is on a budget of sorts. We had read some of the reviews and thought some of the negative reviews must be "sour grapes." Boy, was I wrong. Yes the Motel is close to a beautiful beach, but then again so are most of the other hotels.
The main problem, appears to me, to be a total indifference to normal good business practices.
We personally experienced: noisy room (both adjoining rooms and parking lot with garbage dumpsters) , window blinds that were non-functioning (broken slats); The queen sized bed was more like a full bed; room itself was dark and "musty"; no electric outlet in bathroom; bathroom was in need of a serious cleaning and up-date; windows and window screens were so dirty that you could bearly see outside; we had a second floor room and the stairwell steep and narrow at night it was very poorly lit; the ceiling fan, over the bed, was off kilter and wobbled to the point that we did not use it very often for fear that it would fall; air conditioner was very noisy;no real closet space just a small wall opening (30" wide) with a worn cheap curtain. Even the room supplies were the cheapest I have ever seen in a motel chain, tissues, TP, etc. The houskeeping was a joke.
I could go on-and-on but if you read some of the other reviews you'll get the picture.
It really is a shame that a well known company like Day's Inn would tolorate allowing their name to be connected with a franchise owner who is obviously not putting any monies back into his property. You get the feeling that the 1% is once again ripping off the 99%.

Room Tip: Find another motel!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Days Inn Maui Oceanfront? Share your experiences!