“Sugar Beach is ok” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   145 North Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #27 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
“Sugar Beach is ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2005

Our second time at Sugar Beach. I could stay in a shack in Maui and be happy, but the oceanfront condo is very nice. Fell asleep in the comfy bed to the sound of the surf. You never heard the neighbors though the place was full. Only problems were the small flies that came around the lanai in the evening and of course got into the unit. Also the hot water took about 10 minutes to get to the 2nd floor so many showers started up cold. The unit was very well equipped with everything we needed. We only needed to purchase food. The barbecue grills were a nice touch.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
seattle wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2005

My wife and I spent 5 days at sugar beach. upon our arrival we were very tired from the long plane ride so we decided to take a nap. after about ten minuts in bed we noticed!! FLEA BITES!!!! I had about ten my wife had five or six.. needless to say we were upset. after speaking to the manager we found out that the upkeep of individual condos was the responsibility of the owners, not the resort, fortunatly he was very understanding and upgraded us to a fantastic spotless oceanfront condo, when you arrive at sugar beach take a close look at your room (really close) after the rough start, things were fine, I recomened only the oceanfront rooms these 1 bed. condos sell for upwards of $500,000 and are more likely to be well maintained , having been to maui three times i would recomend sugar beach but.....BE CAREFUL!

• Stayed December 2005
sugar grove, illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

This Condo was wonderful. A very nice place at a great bargin price. Contained everything we needed. Best central location on Maui. Great views of the ocean and the mountains form our laini. Especially liked the Bar B Que station by the pool. People gatherd there in the evening to cook and visit. Met some great people there. Loved walking on the beach each day. The little Bar/Restaurant has terrific food and there is a grocery on the premises. Would definately stay here again! If you want to tour the Road to Hana, take the Outstanding "Hidden Adventure Jeep tour". They drive you in a jeep and provide an outstanding, fun loving guide that takes you to all the greatest spots and teaches you everything about the culture, history and fauna of Hawaii. Fun Fun Fun!

• Stayed November 2005
Brier Hill, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2005

My wife and I recently spent our honeymoon in Hawaii. We stayed at the Sugar Beach Resort for the Maui part of our stay (Oct 9 - 16). We booked it through a local Blue Sky Tours travel agent. I could not have picked a better place to stay. First the location is perfect. you are a reasonable drive to just about everything on the island. also, it is about 20 steps from the beach (yes that close!). Second, the facility is excellent. The grounds are nice and well kept. everyone is friendly. there is a store that is very conveinent, a place in the lobby that will book activities for you at discounted prices, and a bar which is one of the most interesting bars on the island. Finally, the condo - (im pretty sure it was unit 336) It was not 5 star high class, but neither was the price. It was very nice though, much better than a hotel room. Everything was neat and clean and it was supplied with everything we needed (except food of course). Housekeeping came around more than we needed. The ONLY complaint I might have is that it smelled a little musty when you first walked in but it was nothing that bothered us for long (not even worth mentioning really). Besides you just open the large sliding glass doors and smell that refreshing ocean air and... oh sorry back to reality. anyway I would definately recommend the Sugar Beach Resort to anyone going to Maui, I know I will definately go back!

• Stayed October 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

We enjoyed every day in Maui. Who wouldn't. We went for 8 nights Sept 3rd thru the 11th. We were a bit leary after reading reviews but went with a positive attitude. I would recommend getting an oceanfront unit. We did not, we thought about changing after we arrived but figured it would be a hastle. We were not unhappy. We had a great view of the ocean from our lanai and the pool/garden area. We were on the 3rd floor. Condos are great because they have a separate bedroom from the living room. Bathroom/shower area could use some work but it was clean. Condo was a good size. you do not have a maid to clean the room. Recycling is a must here. It was very very windy at times but I guess that happens at Sugar Beach. If someone has allergies or hates wind, this is not the place for you especially when they burn the sugarcane. When they burn the cane, it smells like fire. Our room was at the end of the building near the store so I think it was windier but all in all it was a great place to stay. We had no problems. Condo had everything you would need and more. You can book trips in the lobby where you check in but also check out the place next to it which is an Expedia store. This is not a 5 star resort but that is not what you expect if you go here. I would definately return. It really is a good location to get all over the island. We were able to visit everything from the top to the bottom. I am picky and would return in a second. Have a great trip. Aloha!

• Stayed September 2005
Edmonds, Wa. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

Though I did a great deal of research on the Sugar Beach Resort, I must tell you that our visit exceeded any expectations I had.

My husband, 10 year old son and I spent 10 days in Room 230, last month. Our room was lovely, we had every amenity you could think of (including a trunkload of beach toys to play with), plus were a stones-throw from the beachfront. The property was very quiet (if you want action, it is five minutes away by car, or 40 min to Lahaina)and the staff were very helpful, and nice. We enjoyed shopping, and meeting up with new friends at the BBQ pit (very clean)- though eating at the Sand-witch (deli on the property) was a nice treat too.

This is a place that I would highly recommend-as long as you rent a car too. There are many places to go just a short drive away. You cannot beat the price (just compare). If we come to Maui again, Sugar Beach will be our condo of choice.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

Affordable, very convenient and nice location. Close to shops, airport and
10 feet from the beach. Perrrfect for what and my family was looking for.
We stayed at Suite 424 from 19SEP to 26SEP. Everything is in order from the laundry machine, kitchen, showers except for the sofa bed. It's old but the kids enjoyed sleeping on it anyway because of the sound of the waves when they open the lanai in the morning. So relaxing overlooking the ocean, the molokoni and kaholawee islands. LOVE THE SUNSET overlooking the coast of Lahaina, we would definitely come back to Sugar Beach resort again. My daughter says she enjoyed her vacation and telling me to get the same unit when we come back. Mahalo to the staff and the maintenance crew. They are courteous and always around maintaining the resort's cleanliness. Again thank you for the memories. Might consider buying one of the units if one is available.
ALOHA AND MAHALO SUGAR BEACH RESORT.......

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Sugar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!