“One room great, other room not so nice” 4 of 5 stars

Castle Kamaole Sands
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2695 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #32 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
San Francisco, California
“One room great, other room not so nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We really liked Kamaole Sands. The pools were great -- our toddler loved the toddler pool and the main big pool. Nice that they have a family hot tub as well as a no-kids hot tub. The beach across the road was calm and shallow for our little one. We saw dolphins and whales really close to that beach (we were there mid March).

We stayed in 2 different rooms. The first had a bad smell and no beach towels provided. The second room was much nicer and had lots of beach towels. (It was our choice to switch rooms).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Fort Mcmurray
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

as mentioned by many others, the security gastopo can ruin a great holiday. this can be common at other complexes but it made for a much less enjoyable holiday. sitting on our deck ...me and my wife having a very quiet glass of wine and at 10:30 pm we received a call saying they were getting noise complaints,,,a crock for sure but it puts you in a defensive mode during a time you want to unwind. nisy kids at pool by day and bed time at 10....

WVancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My family or extended family have been staying at this resort for years and have had a great time. Great property with tons of rolling lawns, generous pool and roomy units. However, I can honestly say that I will NEVER stay at this resort again. And the one reason for this is because of the on -site out- of- control POOL NAZI. I have never seen so many rules and regulations for what you cannot do in a pool. No balls? Really?! No snorkels? Come on. I have overheard so may people complaining about the same thing. This woman (whomever she is...an owner I suspect) has taken her role on the counsel WAY too seriously and has now managed to make what was a fun pool experience, into an over regulated nightmare for the kids of the renters staying here. Let's be clear...it IS the renters that keep this place running. I feel sorry for the owners here because I think if they knew the extent of the crazy of this woman, they would have her replaced asap. Chow Kam Sands....I'm on to other resorts that actually embrace children having fun. And I plan on passing this info along to all my friends back home that frequent the Kihei area annually.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Have stayed in many condos every yr since childhood & have conservative expectations but this one rates a 2 out of 10.

Pros:
The grounds and facilities at the resort were amazing,
Location is great
Reserved parking was helpful
Air conditioner in bedroom worked well
Nice Lanai & padio chairs

Cons:
Rental process was annoying no online or credit card reqd 2 bank money orders + 2 registered del (add $90)

Unit overall wasn't clean or stocked (not even a square of toilet tissue to be found).
Overall very dated in every way, collection of mismatched yard sale-like old dirty smelly furniture & pillows, old hard bed, total of 5 stained old towels in the whole unit & filthy carpet in bedroom. Lights burned out in every bathroom && tho it seems minor the bathroom medicine cabinet in master was hung backwards/upside down with the corner of the mirror creating a hazard (deep cut).

Kitchen chopped apart leaving no storage with small collection of dirty mismatched chipped dishes Broken appliances (blender, mach) all kitchen wear sitting out in open tray/basket (HIGHLY unsanitary) & general kitchen appliances stored directly on floor tucked under table in diningroom directly where they sprayed for bugs (unsanitary & dangerous)..

NO internet in unit as described (confirmed with both office & provider)

We would stay atthe resort but never in this unit ... the price is low for but should be approx $80/nt CDN max) ... stay knowing you need to clean & bring your own "everything"

Room Tip: Look at the pics provided carefully & up close. Read the reviews & when in doubt call the re...
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked a condo in Kameole Sands and asked to be near a friend's unit. Although they could not confirm the room location until arrival- they did indeed put us near our friends. Unfortunately the friends were unable to get to Maui and so offered us their unit. Although we committed and signed a contract for the initial unit - the manager Paul was most understanding and accommodating and managed to re rent the unit allowing us to stay at our friends. He was so considerate and stated that Castle tries to make the hospitality and experience at KS a pleasant one. And they do. The staff we encountered were professional and efficient. The grounds, pool area and public spaces are immaculate. Location is perfect for beaches and restaurants. A very pleasant experience and we will come back. Thanks Paul, Sophie and staff.

Room Tip: Buildings facing inner courtyard and pool area are lovely. A bit more energetic at times with a nit...
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I honeymooned in 1984 at Kamaole Sands and we chose to come back here 29 years later and I am so happy we did. We stayed in unit 5-308 which was the same building that we stayed at back in 1984. I didn't know what to expect and after reading some of the reviews I was very apprehensive about booking here. I could not get a vrbo.com room as they were all reserved so a homeowner recommended I call Castle directly. I thought well if all of the rooms are booked on vrbo.com, it must be okay. I worked with 2 wonderful reservation agents, Judy and Sophie Jo, explained to them that I was a little nervous about renting there because of the reviews, but the place had a lot of sentimental value to us. They were wonderful to work with! They emailed me back immediately when I had questions and even mid-stay to make sure I was happy with the accomodations. I had asked for a room on an upper floor with somewhat of a view, I didn't want to look at a parking lot. I got exactly what I asked for. Now, it is an older property, just like me and my husband, but it has so much charm. We had a unit that was a bit outdated, had popcorn ceiling and some tile issues in the bathroom, BUT, I didn't care! Our king sized bed was very comfy and we had air conditioning in our bedroom, which was wonderful on a couple hot days. The tradewinds kept the unit in the kitchen and living room very cool. Our lanai looked over the pool and the beautiful grounds. The grounds are gorgeous, the landscape staff was constantly working on them. The pool was beautiful, but we didn't go more than once because the walk to Kam III beach was great. We went to Walmart and bought a cooler, some cheap snorkeling gear and a boogie board for less than $50 and used the heck out of them, The unit has 2 beach chairs and 4 big beach towels which were very convenient. The park at Kam III was awesome, we watched whales from there everyday. Our first night, we did not know what was going on, lots of people were carrying their chairs and blankets along with a bottle of wine, and were rushing across the street. We thought, maybe there was going to be fireworks or a concert, we didn't know what it was. Well, it was the sunset! The view was spectacular and this little park was so clean and family friendly. We joined in and for 10 nights we watched the sunset along with everyone else. We never felt that we had to be off of our lanai by 10:00 or that the security was too tight, actually, I found the staff to be wonderful. One security guard saw me carrying a bag of trash and looking for a dumpster and he rushed over and took it from me and said that he would take care of it, he said I was on vacation! How nice of him. I then figured out where the trash chute was. Now, I know Kamaole Sands is older, but I cannot wait to book my next trip there. It is on the very south side of Kihei and I liked that we couldn't hear any road noise from Kihei Road but we could walk everywhere. I am now looking at going back in November and I cannot wait - thank you Castle Kamaole Sands, we had the best vacation of our lives.

Room Tip: Communicate with the reservation agents with what you want, they are great to deal with.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CRHHNL, Manager at Castle Kamaole Sands, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent trip to Kamaole Sands.
I appreciate all your comments and am pleased that you had a wonderful time. I will share your note with all our staff.
Warm regards and aloha from the staff and management of Kamaole Sands,
Paul Gomez
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We rented 3 condos for a family trip over a year ago. While we requested they be close to each other, 1 ended up being on other side:( But in the end - that condo worked how better for the family with 3 small children. We loved the gas grills and outdoor seating area - we grilled 2 or 3 nights while there. Kam 3 beach was just across the street, and we love that beach. I will say parking is a little crazy - you have an assigned spot, and the facility is rather parking nazish. But shouldn't be an issue for most. If I were to return, I would probably book through VRBO and pick my condo, to ensure I have a true ocean view. One of our units did not have oceanview, but was supposed to. Air conditioning in 1 or more of the units had a timer on it.. that was frustrating. Air could only run a limited time and then you had to reset it. But we were so happy to be in hawaii, all the little things didn't matter much. We have always stayed a week - but plan on staying at least 10 days next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Castle Kamaole Sands? Share your experiences!