“The Best Experience and PADI Certification with B&B Scuba” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 99 Activities in Kihei
Type: Water sports, Adventure
Kinnelon, New Jersey, United States
3 attraction reviews
“The Best Experience and PADI Certification with B&B Scuba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Aloha,
Our family spent 2 1/2 weeks in Hawai'i in the begining of April, 2013. Prior to our trip I looked into several dive shops on the island and selected B&B on Maui as I felt the most comfortable with the information Brad provided and the step by step training that would be conducted for my family to become certified divers. My wife, two children and I are new to diving however we are avid boated for the past 25 years and felt this would be the next step enjoying vacations and boating as a family. Upon our arrival to Maui we stopped in to introduce ourselves and were warmly greeted with an Aloha and welcome. We discussed the times we needed to arrive at the shop and at the boat ramp. We were set for our class and open water dives.

We met Jose on Tuesday and he was able to provide the necessary equipment needed to start the day. I must say Jose kept us vey focused and calm while also having fun during our class session and open water dives on the beach. There were a couple of time I said to myself, what the hell am I getting into, but Jose was there to keep me and my wife calm. My 14 year old daughter and 12 year old son were another story. They were like fish in the water. No problems what so ever and they listened to what Jose said. They waited for us at 35 ft under the water while we were attempting to equalize and get down. Too funny. We all thanked Jose for all the time he spent with us that day.

Day two started out meeting Capt. Dan, Stan, Dave, Billy, and Eric, at the boat ramp at 5:45am. We understand that B&B leaves early for several reasons, 1st they prefer to go out early so everyone enjoys the dives with no others boats around, 2nd you get to complete your dives and get back to boat ramp by 10:30am so you have the rest of the day to enjoy Maui. 3rd, Going early usually provides calm waters as the trade winds have not kick up yet, 4th and most importantly all dive boats have limited time at the boat ramp to drop in and trailer out their boats, so make sure you are there when they tell you or you will miss the best time of your life. As a boater I respect that. So get there early!

Any nervousness we had was gone by the time we left the ramp. These guys were the Bomb! They were relaxed and very funny while ensuring our safety first and foremost. You can't ask for more that that. They definitely love their job. Capt. Dan and Dave had us laughing so much our cheeks hurt. We arrived at Molokini crater by 6:30 and prepped for our dives. There were 12 divers on board and 3 dive masters, so we broke into 3 groups of 4 which was perfect as were we just getting our certification. Stan, Our dive master was great with us while we were diving, he showed us a variety of underwater life that we would have not notice on our own. He also kept us together during the dive just in case we needed any assistance. Our second dive took us to another location where we saw sea turtles and other species of fish. What an awesome time. After we were done the crew served us home made sandwiches on thick cut Hawaiian sweet bread, fresh cut Pineapple, and homemade chocolate chip cookies that Brad's wife Blessie made and we was it down with Passion Guava juice. We could have stayed all day. Way a way to end a perfect morning. I highly recommend B&B Scuba when you are diving on Maui! We can't wait to go back to Maui and dive with B&B Scuba.

We would like to thank you all for person attention you provided as well as the homemade food by Blessie and one hell of a nice dive boat (which is brand new) you provided to our family and fellow divers. There is something to be said about Hawaiian hospitality and comraderie you guys have.

Mahalo,
Bob, Ilene, Madison and Ethan
From NJ

9 attraction reviews
“Hilarious instructors, small teams, and a fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've gone scuba in Thailand which is pretty amazing. Although Hawaii/Maui couldn't hope to compete, the guys at B&B were a lot of fun. They made my siblings all feel welcome, many of whom were doing scuba for the first time. We saw morays, heard whales, and watched shrimp crawl in our instructor's mouth! Molokini (sp???) Crater was really neat. Turtles were also in abundance. At various points we also saw white-tipped reef sharks sleeping in their caves.

One thing they did better was make us get up at a god-awful hour. At first I was a tad annoyed, but it was more than worth it. Molokini crater was empty and I have it on good authority that it is usually crawling with hundreds to thousands of divers and snorkelers.

Chicago, Illinois
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Top notch, extremely professional operation. I hadn't dove in a few years and my girl friend needed to get certified, they gave us a private class the first day and then allowed her to finish up her certification on the boat the next morning. The owner finished up her skills test at the beginning of the dive as everyone else was getting in the water so she was able to join the group on the dives. He then stayed with her the entire time to make sure she was comfortable. Staff took pictures and gave us a copy of them to take home. I'll be back!

Visited December 2012
Redmond, Washington, United States
“Be Very Careful With Your Personal Information Here!! Don't Use Your Credit Card”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The customer is always right! Not at this joint. Their front desk person made an honest mistake and misbooked my dive date. I called on a Friday and said I want to dive "tomorrow". Maybe he thought the current date was Saturday? Maybe he misheard me? I wanted to dive on Saturday morning and he accidentally booked me for Sunday.

I showed up at 5:30am at the ramp on Saturday morning and B & B was nowhere to be found. I talked to another boat and they told me "No B & B today". They volunteered to take me out and I had a great time. I talked to the owner of B & B later that day (on Saturday) and we discussed what happened. No harm, no foul.... all's well that ends well, right? Their guy that answered the phone made a mistake. It happens. We're human.

But no!! I arrive home to find a charge for the missed dive on my credit card bill. "How the hell did they get my credit card number? Oh yea, I verbally gave it to them as a deposit when I rented a $15 set of snorkel gear". They then took that credit card number and used it to charge a fictitious dive that was never scheduled. Naturally, I cancelled the charge with my credit card company as B & B never received my signature or my authorizaton to charge $143. Now, I'm pissed, but this should take care of it. Again, No...... Every time the credit card company went back to B & B, they responded with some other piece of 'documentation' that attempted to make the case that I had agreed to a Sunday dive and that I had authorized the credit card charge. Morons. Here's why.

That 'documentation' they provided to the credit card company could not have existed in the form sent to the CC company prior to my challenge of the credit card charge because I told the owner on Saturday that I was not going on Sunday as I had just done a dive. Hmmmm... I wonder where these log entries provided months later came from then??

Finally, the smart people at the credit card company looked at the documentation B & B fed them and saw that I had never signed anything and in their words, "This 'proof' provided by B & B is dubious at best". They credited my account for the charge.

On the day this happened, if the owner had just taken the position (even if he didn't believe it), "Our mistake, we'd love to see you again in the future", then I'd still be a customer (even after their screw-up). Instead, he tried to make a federal case out it and seemingly engaged in some highly questionable use of my credit card number that had been provided for a $15 snorkel deposit. Really? Really?

Having seen the owner's responses below to the other bad reviews, I can already predict his response. "Not our mistake. We are always right. Customer was wrong." Yep, 'wrong' customers love to show up at 5:30am in the dark just to screw with the scuba company and 'wrong' customers love to take their time to make up stories and post them on these review sites.

Visited October 2012
BVarney, Owner at B&B Scuba, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
there is 2 sides to everything and to bash us for your error is wrong. You booked on a Sunday and showed up on Sat. and we were not there as we were closed for maintenance and were not taking any bookings. YOU elected to go with another operator knowing we had a 48 hr. cancellation policy. All of this was documented and that is why your card dispute was reversed.
Mound, Minnesota, United States
“Great Crew and Boat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

During our recent trip to Maui my daughter and I spent the morning with Brad and his crew diving the shoreline area of Maui. While the boat and equipment are great, Brad and his staff did a great job at making sure our needs were taken care of and answered any questions we had regarding the upcoming dives. Dave was our divemaster and he was very knowledgeable and took the time to point out many of subtilities of our dive. I highly recommend B&B Scuba and will use them next time I am back in Maui.

Visited April 2013

Been to B&B Scuba? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage B&B Scuba, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.