“Hilarious instructors, small teams, and a fun time” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 99 Activities in Kihei
Type: Water sports, Adventure
9 attraction reviews
“Hilarious instructors, small teams, and a fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've gone scuba in Thailand which is pretty amazing. Although Hawaii/Maui couldn't hope to compete, the guys at B&B were a lot of fun. They made my siblings all feel welcome, many of whom were doing scuba for the first time. We saw morays, heard whales, and watched shrimp crawl in our instructor's mouth! Molokini (sp???) Crater was really neat. Turtles were also in abundance. At various points we also saw white-tipped reef sharks sleeping in their caves.

One thing they did better was make us get up at a god-awful hour. At first I was a tad annoyed, but it was more than worth it. Molokini crater was empty and I have it on good authority that it is usually crawling with hundreds to thousands of divers and snorkelers.

Visited April 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Top notch, extremely professional operation. I hadn't dove in a few years and my girl friend needed to get certified, they gave us a private class the first day and then allowed her to finish up her certification on the boat the next morning. The owner finished up her skills test at the beginning of the dive as everyone else was getting in the water so she was able to join the group on the dives. He then stayed with her the entire time to make sure she was comfortable. Staff took pictures and gave us a copy of them to take home. I'll be back!

Visited December 2012
Redmond, Washington, United States
“Be Very Careful With Your Personal Information Here!! Don't Use Your Credit Card”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The customer is always right! Not at this joint. Their front desk person made an honest mistake and misbooked my dive date. I called on a Friday and said I want to dive "tomorrow". Maybe he thought the current date was Saturday? Maybe he misheard me? I wanted to dive on Saturday morning and he accidentally booked me for Sunday.

I showed up at 5:30am at the ramp on Saturday morning and B & B was nowhere to be found. I talked to another boat and they told me "No B & B today". They volunteered to take me out and I had a great time. I talked to the owner of B & B later that day (on Saturday) and we discussed what happened. No harm, no foul.... all's well that ends well, right? Their guy that answered the phone made a mistake. It happens. We're human.

But no!! I arrive home to find a charge for the missed dive on my credit card bill. "How the hell did they get my credit card number? Oh yea, I verbally gave it to them as a deposit when I rented a $15 set of snorkel gear". They then took that credit card number and used it to charge a fictitious dive that was never scheduled. Naturally, I cancelled the charge with my credit card company as B & B never received my signature or my authorizaton to charge $143. Now, I'm pissed, but this should take care of it. Again, No...... Every time the credit card company went back to B & B, they responded with some other piece of 'documentation' that attempted to make the case that I had agreed to a Sunday dive and that I had authorized the credit card charge. Morons. Here's why.

That 'documentation' they provided to the credit card company could not have existed in the form sent to the CC company prior to my challenge of the credit card charge because I told the owner on Saturday that I was not going on Sunday as I had just done a dive. Hmmmm... I wonder where these log entries provided months later came from then??

Finally, the smart people at the credit card company looked at the documentation B & B fed them and saw that I had never signed anything and in their words, "This 'proof' provided by B & B is dubious at best". They credited my account for the charge.

On the day this happened, if the owner had just taken the position (even if he didn't believe it), "Our mistake, we'd love to see you again in the future", then I'd still be a customer (even after their screw-up). Instead, he tried to make a federal case out it and seemingly engaged in some highly questionable use of my credit card number that had been provided for a $15 snorkel deposit. Really? Really?

Having seen the owner's responses below to the other bad reviews, I can already predict his response. "Not our mistake. We are always right. Customer was wrong." Yep, 'wrong' customers love to show up at 5:30am in the dark just to screw with the scuba company and 'wrong' customers love to take their time to make up stories and post them on these review sites.

Visited October 2012
BVarney, Owner at B&B Scuba, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
there is 2 sides to everything and to bash us for your error is wrong. You booked on a Sunday and showed up on Sat. and we were not there as we were closed for maintenance and were not taking any bookings. YOU elected to go with another operator knowing we had a 48 hr. cancellation policy. All of this was documented and that is why your card dispute was reversed.
Mound, Minnesota, United States
“Great Crew and Boat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

During our recent trip to Maui my daughter and I spent the morning with Brad and his crew diving the shoreline area of Maui. While the boat and equipment are great, Brad and his staff did a great job at making sure our needs were taken care of and answered any questions we had regarding the upcoming dives. Dave was our divemaster and he was very knowledgeable and took the time to point out many of subtilities of our dive. I highly recommend B&B Scuba and will use them next time I am back in Maui.

Visited April 2013
Longview, Washington
“Great dive company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been diving for 25 years and my husband just got certified in September B&B is the best company to dive with on Maui and I've tried the others !! they just aren't the same I have never felt unsafe they have great staff, equipment and the new boat is so cool and fast !

Been to B&B Scuba? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage B&B Scuba, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.