“First food truck experience didn't disappoint” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 148 Restaurants in Kihei
Alpharetta, Georgia
“First food truck experience didn't disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The truck was in Lahaina for 4th of July. I enjoyed my spicy onion hot dog. I was in the mood for something different. I'm glad I tried it.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Menlo Park
“A food truck worth searching for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I found these guys at the Fourth Friday event in Kihei. I've sampled quite a few tasty treats among the trucks over the years, but this was a rare one that I really lusted after the day after. I had the Lilikoi Tropix dog and my buddy had the Sweet Maui Onion. They were huge and delicious. An interesting twist on dogs without completely ruining the basic dog experience. Loved the way they inserted the dog into the bun - nothing escapes or hits your shirt! Bravo!

I will definitely hunt down the truck and try the other varieties!

ps - I also enjoyed interacting with the younger 'helpers' who were manning the front of house and practicing their math skills!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ksilva0007, Owner at Sumo Dogs, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Mahalo Christopher for the awesome review! Glad you loved our Maui Style twist on the ever infamous hotdog. We really strive to create that kind of an experience you had when you tried our SUMO DOGS! Were Happy we got to make your taste buds Happy! lol.

Ill be sure to let those little helpers know you loved their service... :)

P.S. please link up with us on FB if you haven't yet. We post all of our whereabouts' on there. Aloha!
Chandler, Arizona
“Awesome Sumo Dogs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I've traveled all the way from Arizona and tried one at the Maui Swap Meet. This was the BEST Hot dog I've ever had, they have 4 different selections Upcountry Guava, Maui Mango, Lilikoi Tropix and Spicy Maui Onion. I've tried them ALL and they are all delicious. The owners provides excellent service. I can't wait to return to Maui and grab another onolicious Sumo Dog!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pukalani, Maui
“Just as good as Puka Dogs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you ever had a Puka Dog on Kauai, this is pretty much the Maui version and it is just as good. Sumo Dogs is in the same restaurant as Just Wing It in Kihei and for $8.99, you get a sumo dog with two sides which are kim chee and potato mac salad. The potato mac salad was good but the kim chee tasted like it was drowned in salt. You have the option to get 2 of the same sides so I think I will just get the salad as my side next time. The Upcountry Guava Dog was very good and you have the option to create your own dog. If you have the chance to visit their store or food truck, definitely make a stop here.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ksilva0007, Owner at Sumo Dogs, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Hey Mauiguy808,

Thanks for sharing your experience at SUMO DOGS and the aloha! As you can probably tell we are finally getting settled into our trip advisor page. We really didn't even know we had one...lol. Just wanted to say mahalo and let you know we recently closed our shop down in The Piilani shopping center but reopened our second Lunch Wagon in Kihei (down the Street) You'll see us in the South Side Feed Lot next to the Maui Batting Cages on Piilani Highway. Hope to see you soon!
Tokyo, Japan
“What I wouldn't give for a Sumo Dog right now!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I am an American currently in Japan for a little over 2 years now and the hot dogs here just aren't the same as back home. So, I was thrilled when I spotted the Sumo Dog food truck at the Maui Swap Meet during our vacation recently. I had the Spicy Maui Onion dog which featured sumo garlic sauce, maui onion mustard, and spicy onion sauce. It was soooo good I had to sit down so I could fully savor the moment. And the bread was unlike any hot dog bun I've ever had. It's like a mini loaf of bread that perfectly complements the dog with an opening that precisely fits the dog with condiments.

Visited November 2013
Ksilva0007, Owner at Sumo Dogs, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Aloha Pugmama-san

I know your all the way in Japan and were all the way here on Maui but thank you for sharing your aloha with us, here on Tripadvisor. Since you and your husband last visited us we have grown to two full time lunch wagon locations (not just on the weekends anymore...=)). Honestly one of our dreams is to open up shop up there in Japan!

Mahalo

PS sorry so late to reply, we finally settled into our actual trip advisor page recently...=)