“Excellent views, great great and a fun time” 5 of 5 stars

Visit like an insider
$73*
and up
Parsippany, New Jersey, United States
“Excellent views, great great and a fun time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I went on the Pali Coast kayak tour a couple of weeks ago. We met with our guide, Dan, around 7 am and were delighted to learn that we were the only couple going out for the day. Dan was great. He was a cool guy and made the trip fun. He knew what he was doing and was very professional. He made my wife, who isn't the best swimmer, feel very comfortable with her surroundings. We kayaked down the beautiful Maui coast and from time stumbled upon some sea turtles which was pretty exciting. After kayaking we went back to the beach and had a delicious meal (sandwiches w/ chips and drinks).

Overall a very memorable experience and I recommend it to anyone visiting the island who wants to spend a half day on the ocean water taking in some picture perfect views.

San Diego, California
“South Shore Explorer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked the South Shore Explorer kayak/snorkel package two weeks ago (Aug. 9, 2013) and it was pretty awesome. It was my first time snorkeling--ever--while this was my boyfriend's second or third time. He actually went to Maui in 2011 and did the Pali Sea Cliff tour with South Pacific Kayaks, which is why we decided to go with them this time. Anyhow, despite my newbie-ness, everything came pretty easy and our super cool tour guide Garrett instructed us pretty well (for the record, I DO have kayak experience so for me that part wasn't very difficult anyway).

As for the tour guide: Garrett was funny and seemed to really know what he was talking about--whether it was about the island, the fish, some Hawaiian history or about the million dollar real estate you'll be seeing off the coastline. Fortunately, our group, which consisted of two other couples, were pretty friendly & talkative, too. I feel that your group could also affect your experience. Try coming out of your shell and bonding during the short tour!

The tour itself: Luckily, the waters were pretty clear even though we arrived not long after Flossie. The online description of a hearty paddle is no joke; while it isn't extremely hard, I did get tired after paddling a few miles + the first snorkel spot. We started at Makena Landing and I believe we paddled towards Kihei. While we did see a lot of sea turtles (pretty cool!), we didn't get to see many fish. Plus, the waters were not as crystal clear as I expected. Clear, but nothing like the magazine shots. At the beginning, Garrett did say he wasn't sure if he'd take us towards Kihei or more south--so afterwards, we wondered if south would have been better.

Nonetheless, the tour was great for a first timer like me. We stayed out there for about 3 hours, with 2 or 3 snorkel locations. Garrett brought his coolerbag & provided some snackbars & refreshments (super chilled water or juices) while we were out in the open water. Afterwards, we all sat and talked s'more while eating the provided deli sandwiches & chips. Nothing fancy for lunch, but the quaintness felt more sincere. He had a huge basket full of chips/cookes and he let us take a bunch of extras for the road + the extra drinks = bonus!

We are planning to go back to Maui for a wedding next May and quite possibly will book with them again (Pali sea cliff for me!), uh so, yes I do recommend!

“Great kayak tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Garrett was an amazing guide. He's very knowledgable about the geography, history, and marine life around Maui, and makena landing. We were upgraded for free because the other tour was full. Garrett our guide explained the kayak process very well. We will definitely come back!!

9 attraction reviews
“Fun trip to great snorkel spots.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took a South Pacific Kayak snorkel tour a few years ago, and it was the highlight of our trip to Maui. This time we did the south shore explorer, and our guide was Johnny, and it was a great experience again. Johnny was very friendly, and grew up in Maui, so he knew the area very well. He was able to locate the best snorkel spots (4 of them) and made the trip very enjoyable. We saw a sea turtle within about 2 minutes of snorkeling, and many more. The kayaking wasn't difficult, as he paced it well. He even gave us great recommendations for other things to do, and his contact information in case we had questions later. It felt more like kayak-snorkeling with a friend from the area. We highly recommend this trip. Also, fewer people seem to do the long trip, so if you are able to paddle a bit, and would prefer smaller groups (it was just us and Johnny) I recommend the south shore explorer. If your guide is as helpful as Johnny, they will tailor the whole thing to what you want to do. Book online and you even get a discount.

“Worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had an amazing kayak and snorkeling experience with Kelly. He was very patient and knowledgeable. I had always been afraid to snorkel and he encouraged me to try it, and I did! Amazing views of sea turtles!

Visited July 2013