“Seems that they do not exist anymore” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Sugar Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kihei
Maui Sugar Beach Inn
26 Wailana Place, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Kihei B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Seems that they do not exist anymore”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

If existing, they are well hidden...
Last review is from 2010, all links from their web page are to a certain HotelPlus chain that has nothing in Kihei.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Owatonna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Vary nice a little on the high side for us we have been there three times
over the years and loved it every time, If you spend a little moe and get a ocean
front its well worth the view.
I have benn unemployed for two years and cant aford to go back we have benn going to Maui for 20 years and hope to get back, its are home away form home, best on earth!!
Robin Gilligan

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

I know its been a while since we stayed there but still wanted to leave a review. We rented the entire Inn because it was a large group of us that went for my brothers wedding. It was nice to have separate rooms for all the families and still have the whole place to our self. It was a very short walk to the beach and had a nice clean pool. Yes the owner i hear had lots of rules and seemed kinda strick. we had a "family meeting" when we all got there so she could tell us the rules. I never had any issues with her myself but did hear other in the group say that she had been watching them and saying things. rooms were clean and all had a private room and a pull out sofa, and mini kitchen. Upstairs had a larger kitchen, large living room and several bedrooms. very convinient for us to cook our own food instead of going out to eat.

• Stayed July 2009
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

This place is quite nice, close to the beach and affordable. I would highly recommend it if not for the crazy anal retentive owners. We stayed there for a week and got along great with everyone else who stayed there. At the end of our trip we checked out in the morning, but our flight didn't leave till that night, so we continued to travel around with some people we met from the hostel. However upon checking out in the morning we were told that after we check out we were not allowed again back on the property regardless of the fact that we were driving other people from the hostel around and would be dropping them off again later. We were simply tossed away like strangers after giving this place a week of our business. Regardless we had left a couple bags in one of the peoples rooms that we were hanging out with cause we couldn't fit everything in our vehicle for the day. We pick the stuff up later dropped our new friends off said goodbye and left. SImple. Later the next day after we got home, we got a nasty call from the owner saying that we broke the rules and would be charged an extra $25 for storing our stuff in the peoples room and that we were never welcome back there again. The owner also complained that we had turned the place into a party house even though we were never around and were always respectful of everyone else there. Basically if you're going to stay there you can't have any fun you just use it to sleep and then they'll kick you out at then end without so much as a thanks for your business.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Roseville, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

First of all this is more of a hotel than a hostel. The place is really quite nice. I stayed with a female friend of mine and we had two different female roommates and both were very cool. I had serious issues with the owner however. She's a control freak. One of our roommates met a young man from Austria or Switzerland...I don't remember which but when she was invited to have drinks with the guy and the other couple a few doors down all hell broke loose. She was making drinks (with everyone's permission) and the owner came by. The owner ordered the young lady out of the room stating it was a clear violation of the rules to be in room that was not yours and that she was not to be in someone else's room period. OK...I get the fact that you would not want roommates bringing back friends to a room you were sharing with other persons but that was over the top and seemed like some kind of weird jealousy thing. The next issue I had was my friend and I were not in Hawaii to hang out at the Hostel. We were up at 5 AM packing the car several times. We wanted to get an early start on the road to Hana for example. The owner took exception to the noise because everyone (including us) sleeps with the windows open. She literally told us to "be quite" in a very nasty tone. How do you make your car quiet? The owner obviously has issues and should not be in the hospitality business because she has some serious anger problems. I felt like if we did not walk on egg shells we were going to get the boot. Not a good or relaxing feeling when you are on vacation. If you are looking for a place to crash this may work out you but I would spent the extra dollars and find something a little less regimented....to the owner...let it go...just let it go....

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

As far as hostels go in Maui SUgar Beach is the best for cleanliness and location. The rooms are adequate, as long as you dont mind sharing your living room with fellow roommates. This makes it awkward if you are early risers and want to have breakfast before you head out as the rooms are shared units(expected with a hostel) but the guests actually stay in the living room of the open concept suites so you cant use the kitchen if they are sleeping.
The location is very central and easy to find and get everywhere you need to. The owner is a little on the testy side, lots of rules and notes everywhere reminding you what NOT to do. SHe does her daily and nightly guard like rounds and doesnt mind interupting your time to remind you of her rules. That kind of takes away from the relaxtion and "getaway from it all" feeling.
Overall not a bad place to stay if your travelling solo or as a couple on a budget. I wouldnt exactly say its the best eal in town or anything but fit our needs for sleeping well enough.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I looked on the Internet for a place to stay while I explored the island of Maui, and found the Sugar Beach Inn. I spent a week there and found it the ideal place to stay; more rewarding than I could have imagined. I met wonderful people there from many corners of the world, some of whom I hope to see again in my travels..

The inn was unlike any hostel I have ever visited. It was neat, clean, quiet, and very comfortable. I felt more like I was a guest in a friend's home, rather than in a rented room. The innkeeper went above and beyond the call of duty to make the guests feel welcome. I wish I was back there right now!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Been to Maui Sugar Beach Inn? Share your experiences!