“I almost don't want this kept secret out!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hale Hui Kai Condominium to your Saves list
Hale Hui Kai Condominium
2994 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #28 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
“I almost don't want this kept secret out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in condo 301 with my inlaws and it was perfect! We had enough space, 2 beautiful bathrooms and a spacious kitchen.

The complex itself has beautiful gardens and is right on a beautiful long sandy beach. In just 2 short snorkel trips we saw 6 or 7 turtles. Sarantos is right next door with a great breakfast and dinner and 5 palms is next to that with very fresh sushi, great drinks. Both are right on the sand with amazing views. Between that and the small general store next door we did not need a car for anything.

It is so nice to spend all day at the beach with chairs, umbrellas and towels just right upstairs is in the condo. The beach itself is so lovely. A long sandy beach with great snorkeling and boogie boarding. It's condo living with a hotel feel to it with 2 restaurants next door.

I almost did not want to write the review because I don't want this special place to get out into the world!

One of the best trips to Maui I have had (I have been here 5 times in the last 8 years) thanks to the Hale Hui Kai!

• Stayed December 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We spent a week in unit #202. Let me start with the only negatives. There is no AC and the master bedroom was the hottest room in the unit, but I was so busy all day that lying on top of the bed in a mininum of clothing I slept fine. One morning the recyling company made a ridiculous amount of noise, not just banging but shreiking with laughter. Never heard any neighbours. The unit is in the back so no views, except the empty house next door, but the beach is just a few steps away.
The unit is completely equipped with top of the line stuff. The dishwasher was silent. Beach chairs, umbrella, mats, noodles, beach toys and snorkel gear for 2 was all provided. There were lots of books and movies provided as well as board games. A keypad entry means no keys to keep track of or get wet. The premises is extremely well maintained.
Ah - the beach. We travelled all over the island and swam at and snorkelled on just about every beach on the island and there is no better beach than Keawakapu beach. The sand is soft, the beach is fairly wide and very long. Big Beach was better for bodysurfing, Cove Beach for surfing lessons, Ho'okipa for surfing. The fish at Ahi Ahi bay are tame and mile 14 on the Lanai road has crazy coral, but Keawakapu is still the best all around. The wind picks up in the heat of the day, but mornings and sunsets are magnificent.
Restaurants within walking distance are pretty pricey, but a short drive up S. Kihei gets you to cheaper ones and Safeway has a great deli/take out.
Finally, my son even got scuba training right out front from Scuba Luv who operate out of the Mana Kai next door.
Read the other reviews, there is a reason why they say they have returned for 14 or 24 times!
And I did see a bug on the stairs - once.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
El Cerrito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent a week in Hale Hui Kai in unit #201. There is so much that is great about this condo and complex, that I feel bad giving it only three stars. But at the end of the day, both my partner and I, just didn't enjoy it that way we have other Maui condos.

First the Awesome. You can not beat the location of the complex. It sits ocean front on one of the most beautiful beaches in Maui. Its within easy walking distance to a couple good restaurants and happy hour sushi beachfront at the Five Palms.

The condo itself is renovated with beautiful finishes. The kitchen is beautiful granite, the bathrooms have glass vessel sinks and hand laid tiles. The beds were new and comfortable (firm). There was an Lanai, surrounded by greenery with lavish settees and all sorts of beach chairs, umbrellas etc, available for you to use.

The not so great. Most of the units in the building do not have AC and the layout of the property doesn't help the condos cool off. My partner didn't think it was that hot, but I was uncomfortable at night. Because there is no AC, you want to keep the windows open but the windows in the bedrooms face the hallway which we found to be very loud in the early am. This was exacerbated by our neighbors who were travelling with very young (read screaming) children. Certainly not anyone's fault, but it is what it is.

The condos on the Northside of the building, including ours, lacked natural light or any kind of view. The Lanai was pretty, but just beyond the greenery is an alleyway into a restaurant and there were trucks coming and going. The condo even had carpet (beautiful and clean) but it seemed out of place.

I think this complex might be a great fit for some families. If you want luxurious finishes, a great location, and a nice flat screen TV for kids...it meets all those criteria. For us, it just didn't provide the beach airy feeling we're looking for when we rent a condo on the beach. In the end we wished we stayed somewhere less upgraded but with a better view. There are some ocean facing units with AC in the complex, but the pricing on them seemed out of place with ocean front properties just .5 mile north.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

My wife and I have vacationed at Hale Hui Kai 14 times since 1999. Its location on Keawakapu Beach is perfect, due in part to the fact that most of the structures on this beach are private homes as opposed to big resorts. The condos are all very clean and comfortable. We like the laid-back atmosphere, and have always found the staff and property manager friendly and helpful. We have referred many friends to HHK, and they have all been delighted with their experience.
Having read bluelight2104's negative review, I noticed a couple of things. I've never personally had any trouble with insects at any of the units, except once in 1999 after too many days of leaving fruit to ripen on the counter, after which ants showed up until I removed the fruit. We too enjoy grilling, but understand that a grill on the lanai can be a huge fire danger.
HHK management asks that all people returning from the beach rinse their feet at the provided foot-shower before entering the property, and we personally appreciate other guests leaving the sand on the beach instead of dragging it into the condos.
Another thing that we absolutely love about the Hale Hui Kai are the immaculate gardens that are lovingly tended to by Skye. They are beautiful and lush, a real tropical oasis!
We always feel like family when we vacation at HHK, and love everything about the place!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

My wife and I have had the pleasure of travelling to resorts in the Continental USA, Mexico and Central Europe, but every year in late October through the end of November, we return to the Hale Hui Kai in South Kehei, Maui. This condo is celebrating it's 40th year and this year will mark our 24th straight return to the Hale Hui Kai. Why? This condo unit is situated right on Keawakapu Beach, mere steps from your unit. The beach is uncrowded and you can walk for hours along the sandy ocean shores. The unit has a small pool, suited for children or for that quick refeshing dip, after tanning on the grassy and well maintained front lawn of the unit looked after by Ben Little (Manager) and Skye Etassami. The entire complex is also well maintained by Ben and his crew, who strive to keep everything running efficiently.
There is parking available for one car per unit with additional parking available across the street if needed. There are shopping carts and luggage racks available to bring your needs from your car to your unit with elevator access at both ends of the condo unit for those people on the second or third floors. Laundry facilities are available on all floors at a nominal charge, with change available from Leslie, (on-site rental office) and are open from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm. The laundry rooms also act as a small library should you wish to read a book.
Most of the units have undergone extensive upgrades (check which ones with Leslie) and you will find all of the amenities for a self contained unit that you will need. There are shops and restaurants (including two next door) if you would prefer to dine out. My wife and I treat our unit as our own "home away from home" and enjoy all that the Hale Hui Kai has to offer for a relaxing, stress-free vacation. Maintenance problems? Leaky toilet? Bugs? Simply talk to Ben and the matter is resolved within hours. Ben has always been there for us.
Noise? The units are basically open air refreshed and noise does travel within the close confines of the open air walkway and your open windows at night. There are signs advising visitors about the quiet hour (10 pm) and sometimes your are awakened by those that forget their noise travels. However, this is not the norm and if we have been awakened, we simply roll over and go back to sleep in paradise. We are on vacation, not on a timetable.
My wife and I would highly recommend the Hale Hui Kai for those people wishing to visit Maui and relax in one of the best condo units right on the ocean for a relatively modest cost. If you are seeking the night life, catered dinners, maid service and buffet breakfasts, then I would suggest elsewhere, but if you like your home to be in paradise, then this is the place for you to visit and why we return every year. We look foward to our return and meeting with Ben once again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are hotter during the day, the odd numbers are in all day shade and are cooler...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Having stayed at the Hale Hui Kai many times over the past 8 years, I felt compelled to post this.
The Hale Hui Kai is a very unique property, sitting at the end of one of the most gloriously unknown beaches on Maui. The beach is uncrowded, due to it's length and the fact it is lined with extravagant houses.
We have stayed in units on the first floor, the second floor and the third. We have traveled as a couple, with grandparents and with our five children. Due to private ownership, every unit we have stayed in has had it's own intepretation of the 'Aloha Spirit'. The complex was built in the 1970's as a representation of 'old' Hawaii....with an open air courtyard, tropical gardens, louvered windows to provide eco-friendly air-conditioning and the feeling, that the 'beach' is where it is at. Most of the units have been completly renovated... with lots of tile, marble and glass.
Each time we return, we look forward to Leslie, who is the manager in charge of bookings and helping out the guests. She always has time for our questions and offers many ideas for our vacation that only someone who lives on the island would know. Any problems that we have had, have always been sorted out. She is a delight to deal with! When she is off duty, there is also resident manager.
The Hale Hui Kai is absolutly the best value for your dollar if you are looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit on the beach! That being said, of course it is appealing to families. Actually Maui prides itself, in being appealing to families.....not to mention everyone else on the planet.
Is this complex for everyone......no.
It is not a six star resort...although they are within walking distance. It does not have a fabulous pool, but with such an amazing beach...I have actually never even been in the pool. Is everything shiny and new....no....but there is a Four Seasons down the beach that asks $500 for a garden view room if this is important. It can, have noisy guests...but honestly I have been disturbed at Marriotts, Hiltons, Hyatts, etc.....
I think this complex is best suited for the kind of traveller that leaves his fast-paced, stressed -out life on the plane....can roll with the waves and allows the Maui breezes to calm his soul! Aloha.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We had a fabulous stay at the Hale Hui Kai and thoroughly enjoyed being in a property that was right on the best beach in the world. The unit was furnished beautifully and had all the amenities including wireless access. The manager for this unit is terrific, helpful and respectful. The unit is very clean and well maintained. The front garden location is like being in a tree house - you can just walk 100 yards and be on the beach from there. Wonderful contrast. Writing this has prompted me to rebook this for the near future.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hale Hui Kai Condominium? Share your experiences!