“Hale Hui Kai #201 is delightful” 5 of 5 stars

Hale Hui Kai Condominium
2994 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #25 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
San Clemente, California
“Hale Hui Kai #201 is delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We had a fabulous stay at the Hale Hui Kai and thoroughly enjoyed being in a property that was right on the best beach in the world. The unit was furnished beautifully and had all the amenities including wireless access. The manager for this unit is terrific, helpful and respectful. The unit is very clean and well maintained. The front garden location is like being in a tree house - you can just walk 100 yards and be on the beach from there. Wonderful contrast. Writing this has prompted me to rebook this for the near future.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Beware. I was there with severl others and with the excption of the location of the complex, we have nothing positive to say about our stay, the building, the owner of our unit (#208), the on site property manager or the Assoc. To begin with, our unit was very noisey. The untit all share a common walkway, which is covered. The bedrooms, which I am told include all or most, have windows that open directly on the walkway (if you want privacy, keep your windows and blinds closed). SInce our unit, and many others, did not have A/C, in order to allow any kind of ventiulation and cool off the bedrooms, we kept our windows cracked. The problem with this is that the windows are the old louvered type. When they are cracked open, anyone walking down the common hallway can see in. If they are closed, the unit was very uncomforatble with little or no venitaltion. At night, eveyone can hear eveything going on not only in the hall but also in others bedrooms. When we were there, there was a very young child that cried into the wee hours of the morning. Several neighbors complained. One night, after 4 days of very little sleep and the onsite property manager who was very unresponsive to our complaints of the noise, I knocked on one of the units doors at about 1:00 am and asked that they turn thier bedboom tv volume down. In our unit, there are even signs posted cautioning tenants to be aware the neighbors here eveything going on in the bedrooms and I mean eveything. In addtion to the noise, although our unit appeared to be recently remodeled, it was full of ants, large cock roaches. On the first night, I walked into the kitchen and found a cock roach about 6" ling and wide sitting on the floor. We are very clean and there was no food out for them to feast on. It went down hill from there. When we spoke to the onsite manager and the representative from the real esate company, we were given one trap for the cock roaches and told that was all we could have. After a big battle, we were finally given two more but even that was not enough. My sonicare tooth brush had to be tossed out as did several of my shoes that had been stored on the bedroom floor after finding them infested with small ants. Again I spoke to the onstie manager, the head of the real estate company with no results. I was told the real esate company spoke with the owner of the unit as well as the HOA president about the problems we had to see if they might offer us something for our troubles. After severl calls and emails that went unretruned, I finally got my respose. They did not do anything. I can assure you that in talking with others that stayed there, we are not the only ones that experieced the same problems and terrible service. We even got yelled at, severl times, for tracking sand (they must not realized that the condo is located only steps away from the beach) on the common area walkway, for storing a BBQ, which we only used on the beach, on our deck (not visible to others), for parking both of our cars in the parking lot. On the day we left, the onsite property manager, whom I was told was watching us on the security cameras, came out to my car, and blocked me from leaving. When I opended my window to find out what was happening, he came up to my window and began shouting at me about how they only allowed back in parking only. As I tried to explain, had I backed into the stall, I would have been unable to load my car with the lugguage and groceries that I was moving from that hoprrible place to the new place I had found to stay at before leaving for home. I could not wait to leave and will never be back again. By far the worst place I have ever stayed at. We will NEVER be back and want anyone who stays there to know what they are getting into before they end up there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We have just returned from spending a month in Maui, in unit #201 at Hale Hui Kai. We are a mature couple ( late 50's) and friends also joined us for the first 2 weeks. Our condo was at the back of the unit, so we didn't have an ocean view, but our lanai was really private overlooking beautiful gardens and tall palms which made it always cool. We loved our stay, the condo was really well equipped, clean and spacious, lots of room for 4. The main selling feature for us was the proximity to a fabulous beach, as it was so nice to just walk through the open walk way to the beach area. It is all open plan so you do hear people, but it was quiet at night. The unit was clean, well managed and everyone was friendly. It really felt like a home from home. We hope to return in 2013!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back may be noisier, but because we chose a garden view we were able to stay longer. Fa...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

If you like listening to what your neighbor is saying or hearing that baby crying all night then by all means this is the place to stay. If you can tolerate children yelling and running in the hallways then again, this is the place to stay. Unfortunately this older property is not conducive to privacy and solitude due to its older construction and open-air design. We were unable to park both of our cars in the much too small and inadequate parking lot and had to park across the street. It does have a lovely location, however, the problems listed previously make it a place I would not want to return to.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle,WA.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

This place is filled with kids running around. The noise problem is tremendous as to the closed in position of the condos. All the bedrooms are open to the hallway, thus you hear babies crying and kids yelling at all hours. Parking your car..good luck if you can find a parking stall.. You have to park your car off property across the street in an unprotected spot..

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed at this condo in Kihei after spending a few years staying in Kanapali. This unit was clean and fairly well equipped (unit 211) but had a few things that would have made it nicer. The second bedroom was to be a king size bed but was in fact a large daybed that was not very comfortable. It took us a day or so to figure out how to stop the coffee pot from overflowing all over the counter. You have to push the pot up against a wall to have enough pressure to trigger the drain. Furniture was comfortable. The real selling feature was the wrap around lanai that faced directly toward the ocean and went around to both bedrooms. The sunsets from here were spectacular.

The biggest annoyance were the actual condo rules. The pool was open from 9:00am to dusk and you weren't allowed any pool toys for the kids, no splashing, no games, etc. we found that quite restrictive. The laundry closed at 8:30 pm and didn't open till 8:30am. This meant you had to do laundry in the daytime and in our case we had to hang around the condo all day to get a machine and we felt we lost a day of our holiday. The trash dumping chute was also locked up during the same hours. I came up from the beach and left 2 slightly sandy footprints outside our door and the next morning I had a citation hanging on my door reminding me of the rule about keeping the sand on the beach. There were some lounge chairs on the grassy area at the front that overlooked the ocean. They would have been nie to sit in from time to time but the "regulars" came out as early as 6:30am and put towels across the chairs to save them until they were ready to come and sit in mid morning. That reminded me of a resort in Mexico we stayed at once.

The parking lot is also small, best suited for small cars.

All in all, it was an ok experience but the place would be better suited for older folks.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed in unit 201 and could not ask for a better place to celebrate a 60th birthday. The condo was "fully equipped" with all the amenities for indoors and a bonus with the amenities for the beach. You need only to bring yourself and a swim suit. The condo has been beautifully updated and is very clean. We had a garden view, but were just steps from the beach. We enjoyed our walks on the beach in the morning and sitting on the patio in the evening for the most spectacular sunsets. Restaurants and shops are within walking distance. We highly recommend this condo and cannot wait to return. Mahalo to the owners for sharing their beautiful home and mahalo to Martha for managing their property with such care and ease.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hale Hui Kai Condominium? Share your experiences!