“Best Sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had never had sushi so fresh. It was like eating butter it was so tender. I don't think we will ever be the same eating sushi back home. It just won't compare! You do have to make reservations since seating is limited. Some have commented on the prices being very high and we found it to be very reasonable. $55 total for a Rainbow roll, Spicy Tuna roll, Red Snapper and Toro Tuna with tea and a beer. It is about the same if not less than what we pay in Atlanta at a nice sushi restaurant which doesn't even come close to the same quality as this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nelson
“Always a winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We have eaten here a number of times and it is always a winner. Simple and fresh - plain and simple. Fish the way it is meant to be, from the ocean to your plate. Very quaint, small intimate setting where you will get to know your fellow diners. Just oustanding.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Best sushi bar in Kihei”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you like a traditional style sushi, this is the spot in Kihei. Very small and intimate place, basically just a bar area with few tables. Great chef and the most amazing fish selection.

It is a choice spot for local connoisseurs and given that this is a rather tiny space it fills up pretty quickly, so reservations are required and it is a good idea to do it at least a day or two in advance.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Best sushi on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This place has the best sushi on Maui. In fact it was probably the best sushi we have had outside of Japan.

Visited March 2013
Candy Land
“F for effort A for freshness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

F for effort A for freshness.

the fish is the star not the way its run. they almost didn't let us in which would of caused a seen. making reservations a week in advance for 7:30 we arrived on time to the loaded Koiso. a lady asked if we had a reservation and told her yes and gave her the name. we were asked to wait outside and complied. they have live music outside on the Saturday we dined and tables and we had beer in the car so no problem. you can byob to the outside waiting area. saw a threesome walkin and get tourned away. I wouldn't try walking in without the res.

after more then 15 minutes for other diners to clear we see inside is getting empty. the lady speaks to the sushi chef and we can blatantly see he is waving no to her. she comes outside apologetically and says you don't have reservation so sorry. knowing this was coming I said we do have reservations and I made it with you last Saturday. the lady says not so, " I dont work on Saturdays ". this is funny cause it is a Saturday. she goes back inside talks to the chef again and he's still waving no to her for us to see. she comes out again and says you don't have reservation we only have two at this time but they will accomadate us.

feeling lucky to get our seats for our reservation they still had 4 chairs left throughout the night. why would they send the other threesome away, IDK. the atmosphere is nil and the sound of cooking Hamachi Kama is the ambiance highlight. the carpet needs to me replaced, no chance on cleaning it. the sign board of specials is more fun to look at then the display case of raw fish. I doubt we would return just for the way they run their business.

fishing for fresh fish, this is a good choice. another place that sells uni at only 9 dollars. others in town will run you in the 10 dollar and over range. the torro at only 14 dollars had me worried on the quality for the lower price. it was the best I've had on Maui thus far. not as pretty as I like it but definitely holding the oily pleasure you like in this piece. only saw it offered as nigiri tonight. the aji is always fun and some extra salt ordering the ikura was the last of the raw items. a couple of veggie rolls with gobo and avacado were done well for our non fishy eater. 5 dollar miso soups, a very small hamachi kama at 15 dollars, 2 small and 2 large Sapporo beers rang in an acceptable $163 tab. looking at my pics I left out an order of ankimo (monk fish liver).

my dining partners don't get to travel as frequently as I do, due to work schedules and family. this may be the best they can get in a while and wont be returning. we have another small bar in town without this hype but its getting there on a gradual climb. I don't see me looking for another experience either finding better sushi bars all over Asia without any hassle and another fave in town closer to home. putting this one as a been there done that. I would recommend if you desire the higher quality and don't care about how you may get treated.

• Visited March 2013