Cheerful, quiet studio in Wailea - $99/night

Comfortable sofa
Kitchenette with microwave, coffee pot, toaster, blender
Table and chairs for morning breakfast and evening meal - BBQ a  quick walk away
6 drawer dresser - HD TV
Kihei
Condo/Apartment –
1 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 2

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

Noodles91...
Oregon
“First Time Condo Renters, Give This Place a Try!! Cheaper & Better Than Hotels!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

My husband and I rented Karens studio condo for 9 days in July, 2012. This was my first time doing the "condo rental thing" so I had some reservations, but the price was right, the amenities were great, but most of all, Karen was very kind and helpful via phone calls and emails so I figured I'd give it a try. I am very glad I did!!

The directions Karen gives are awesome. You do not need to have GPS to get to her condo if you follow her directions. Our cell phones had died and we had to rely on the paper we printed out which took us right to the condo. We did get a little confused on the parking but the nice security guard helped us out.

The condo itself is cute!! I like the tropical theme going on!!
Karen gives it an extra personal touch and provides everything you could need and then some. She decorates the towels with shell leis that are yours to keep!! She also leaves you a bag of yummy Maui coffee, some starter snacks, and a homemade loaf of banana bread!! I felt spoiled!! NO hotels can top this!!

You enter through a lock box located next to the door. When we left to go anywhere, we just put the key back in the lock box so we knew we would not have to worry about losing it on any beaches or anywhere else. The pool key is separate from the lock box key. The only time we used it was when we went to the pool. Otherwise we also left this safely in the room.

Karen provides everything you need for the beach; one big and one small cooler, boogie boards, noodles, blow up inner tubes, air pump, beach umbrella, beach chairs, several beach towels, beach mat, koozies for drinks, mesh bag for carrying towels, swimsuits, etc.. There was even extra sunscreen and aloe vera lotions which came in very handy when my husband had a nasty sunburn on his feet.

Next is the kitchenette...Stocked with just about everything you need to have a picnic at the beach or BBQ some steaks on the poolside grills. There's a coffee pot, toaster, micro, and fridge. Kitchenette has all utensils, dishes, coffee mugs, coffee filters, platters, foil, plastic wrap, Ziplock bags, dish towels, wine bottle opener, pure Maui cane sugar, creamers, some spices, heck even a nice Hawaiian salad bowl set. We were pleasantly surprised to find the fridge had just about everything we needed to BBQ meats and to make sandwiches; sauces, condiments, pickles, etc... The only thing we had to really shop for was our meats, drinks, fruits and veggies.

To do your dishes, you will need to use the bathroom sink. Karen provides everything needed to do the dishes. (dish soap, washrags, sponge, etc...) What we did was we put a dish towel down next to the sink, washed the dishes in hot water, drained the sink, then rinsed the dishes and air dried them on top of the dish towel on a little silver rack that we found under the kitchenette cupboard.

Keep in mind there is NO stove, so you cannot cook anything too extravagant and cannot cook anything that requires a pot or pan; plan your food menu around BBQing, cold sandwiches or using the microwave and you will be fine. Besides, it's great to be able to BBQ a nice steak and eat by the pool with the waterfall running in the background. ☺

Karen has recently added an electric egg cooker so now you can cook eggs. Yay!!

Next is the bathroom. The bathroom is huge!! There was plenty of space in the bathroom to store our dirty clothes, shoes, hang our towels & swim suits, etc... Anything that I had that was a bit sandy I kept in the bathroom because I did not want to get it on the condo carpet. The tub/shower combo was functional and fine. There is a nice shower caddy for your shampoos and other girly things.The shower head pressure was great and the tub drained well. We never lost hot water. There is a window above the tub/shower which you may want to close while you are showering/using the bathroom because of it's proximity to the front of the condo entrance. Otherwise, anyone around in the other condos and in the parking lot will hear what you are doing. But if you like to sing in the shower and are pretty good at it, leave it open!! We left it open because we enjoyed the nice breeze that would come through while showering, plus it kept the bathroom from fogging up. ☺

The bathroom itself is stocked with just about everything you need!! Shampoo, conditioner, body soap, hair spray, lotions, shaving cream, first aid kit, nail polish remover, contact lens solution, etc..etc...I didn't need to bring ½ of the "girl stuff" that I brought because it was already in the bathroom!! Nice!!

Next is the studio. You have a little table and chairs.The table has extendable sides if you require more room. We did due to our needing space for our computers and extending the table worked out great. It gave us enough room to eat and to compute.
The dresser had plenty of room for our clothes. There are plenty of hangers in the closet for any clothes that need hanging up. Nightstands have a drawer for your bedside personal items. The couch and extra chair are comfy.

The ceiling fan and A/C work great. We tried to use the A/C as little as possible to save Karen some $$. We made sure to power both the fan and A/C down when we were not in the condo. At night you can cool the studio by opening up the Lanai patio door, turning on the ceiling fan, opening up the front door, window above the front door, and bathroom window and letting the breeze flow through.

TV and DVD player are a nice addition and work great. There are plenty of cable channels to browse through and watch. I enjoyed the local Hawaiian channels.

The queen sized bed was clean and crisp. No bedbugs. It has lots of pillows and has a foam topper. We slept A-OK! If you need extra blankets they are up in the top closet shelf.

We absolutely LOVED the lanai!! There's a table and chairs out there to sit on and enjoy your morning coffee while watching the variety of birds visit you. The birds WILL come right up to the ledge of the lanai and tweet at you!! Every morning we sat down out there and were pleasantly greeted by cardinals, doves, and other different colored birds.There's also cute tiny little green colored lizards that live in one of the pots on the lanai that will pop out from time to time and also visit you.

Karen has pots of assorted fresh herbs and spices growing that you can use for BBQing. We loved just walking up to the pots and sniffing the different varieties.

A stackable washer and dryer are located inside the lanai storage area. Karen provides the laundry detergent and dryer sheets. What a great convenience to have as it enabled us to pack less clothing and just re-wash stuff while we were there.

The internet ROCKS!! It's fast, free and stays connected!! My husband and I are people who do 98% of their work online and so when we stay somewhere, having a good internet connection is always a wonderful blessing.

There is a nice pool, spa and BBQ area almost directly across from the condo with lounge chairs, tables with shaded umbrellas, bathrooms, etc...This pool is more for kids and families. On the other side of the condo complex is a bigger, "quiet" pool, also with the same amenities. Both pools close at 10 PM.

Nearby are some of the ritziest hotels and beaches in Maui. You can literally walk to the Shops at Wailea and grab some goodies at the ABC store, have shaved ice at the ice cream place, have a nice lunch or happy hour meal at the various restaurants, or just browse around!! Wailea beach has some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen!! We enjoyed walking the grounds of the Grand Wailea Hotel. Ulua beach is a mile away with excellent "right off the beach" beginner snorkeling. Go early in the morning to get a parking spot and to be able to snorkel before the winds pick up.

NOTE: During the first of the month if on a weekday, or the first Monday after the first of the month at 11:45 AM, the Tsunami Sirens DO go off!!! This is their monthly testing. If you are on any of the beaches, you WILL hear it. I was on Ulua beach in the water when the sirens went off and about got the scare of my life!! Thankfully it was just a test.

If you need anything bigger like groceries, etc...Kihei is about a 5-7 minute drive away. There you will find Safeway, Longs Drugs, gas stations and lots of different restaurants and shops. There are some good eats and shops located right across from the beach!! We would go to the shaved ice place on the main road that fronts the beach, grab a shaved ice, and then walk across to the beach to watch the sunset. Gorgeous.

We were lucky enough to meet Karen while we were there. She's a super nice lady. Very helpful and very down to earth!! She gave us a peek inside her adjoining 1 bedroom condo. It's beautiful!! She rents out the 1 bedroom as well. If you have family or friends and all of you want to go to Maui, I would suggest renting both units together. She offers special rates to rent both sides as a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo. You could split the price and save way more money than renting a hotel room, plus the 1 bedroom has a full kitchen that everyone could share! From the prices I have seen online, her rates are BETTER than anyone else in the area, something very hard to find in pricey Wailea.

I would definitely return again and rent from Karen. I like all of the extras she provides and the feeling of having a little "home" to come back to while on vacation. ☺

5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: Friendliness of condo owner and of the extra goodies provided inside the condo.
Liked least: The noisy full-time neighbors below the condo. Fortunately they go to bed early.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Happycustomer
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 for a stay in June 2012
5 of 5 stars Value 4 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A FlipKey verified reviewer
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 for a stay in June 2012
5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
from
$99
Night
Week
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Owner
Karen M
1 8082143886
Speaks English
Listed since : Feb 2012
Response Rate: 90 %
Response Time: Within a few hours
Calendar Updated: 8 days ago
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing