“Amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Kayak and Outrigger Canoe Snorkel Tours. Surf Lessons, SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) Hawaiian Paddle Sports offers a private alternative for Ocean Activities on Maui! If going out on crowded, diesel burring boat isn't your idea for ocean activities and you'd rather avoid going out with one of Large Kayak Companies or Surf Schools perhaps we are what you are looking for! We focus on attention to detail and the over all guest experience. Guide operated, Hawaiian Paddle Sports sets the bar for ocean activities on Maui. Whale Watching and Sea Turtle Snorkel Tours on Hawaiian Outrigger Canoes, Ocean Kayaks. We also offer "Guaranteed To Surf" Surfing Lessons or Stand Up Paddle Boards. All of our tours/lessons are Private.
St. Catharines, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Took a kayak trip with Andrew and it was a fabulous day. Although early on it looked like the weather might not cooperate, we got out safely and had a long experience up close to a mom and baby humpback whale. It was incredible to be that close. Lots of education about the whales was provided and a clear respect for these beautiful animals was clear. Saw lots of other whales breaching a little further off. Then had a great snorkel, saw some lovely coral and swam with 4 sea turtles. I wish I was staying in Maui longer so I could do this again.

Pukalani, Hawaii, United States
“Lived on Maui over 12 years & This Has Been The Best Excursion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

A friend and I did the Outrigger Canoe Whale Watching tour. There were many things that made this trip exceptional:

The guides knowledge of Hawaiian culture and customs was elegantly blended into the experience.

Being in the outrigger canoe is such a difference experience than being in a plastic kayak. For one you're much higher above the water which provides a better viewing, easier to turn around and such. Also the efficiency of being in one boat allowed us to cover more ground and get a much closer, real close, view of the whales. There was also some instruction on how to paddle, in that I mean, how hold a paddle, paddle in sequence with everyone else, paddle efficiently, this was all taught with Hawaiian customs interlaced. As a complete novice, I came away feeling like I now had some skills.

The whales - I see them all the time from the road but it is such a different experience when you get that close. The experience of everything in your head stopping and having your complete attention drawn to these magnificent creatures is beyond words. We saw them breaching and doing most everything else they do. We were so close you can hear the whales singing above the water. I had many questions about the whales and our guide welcomed every one of them.

Not only is this an amazing attraction for tourist but great for those who live here and this is coming from someone who surfs a lot and has sea kayaked extensively here in Hawaii. I look forward to taking my visitors coming next month on a Hawaiian Paddle Sports trip, for me there is no other choice.

Edmonton
12 attraction reviews
“Fantastic experience - love Hawaiian Paddle Sports”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I found Hawaiian Paddle Sports from its ratings on Trip Advisor. The amazing reviews were definitely consistent with our experience.

My boyfriend, two friends and I booked a kayak / whale watching tour. Donnie was our guide and he was fantastic. We started at 7am and were about 20 minutes early. Donnie was there and ready to go. He had us on the water by 7 on a beautiful morning. We did see whales and turtles. Unfortunately the whales were not as active as we had expected (given the activity I saw from the beach in days before I expected to see a bit more activity but luck of the draw for that day). We had to search for them a bit. The whales were a tad shy that morning. :)

Donnie was so knowledgable and told us lots of information about the whales. You could feel how genuine he was in his enthusiasm to make sure we enjoyed ourselves and had a good time. I felt a little sea sick on the kayak (but I have pretty regular motion sickness) but I would definitely do this again. It was so great having a smaller and private group just for us. It was definitely worth the price. Donnie also took us snorkelling during our paddle. All the gear was great and the company so professional. It is evident how much the company cares about the ocean and the sealife we were keeping our eyes open for.

I was very impressed by how easy it was to book with them (Tim) and with our experience. Donnie also gave us some fun photos of our paddle/snorkel plus some great tips for activities and places to eat on Maui. We took some of his advice and found our favourite places during our trip thanks to him and Tim.

My boyfriend and friend also booked a surf lesson with Tim after our great experience on the sea kayak. Tim directed them to and met them at a perfect place to learn to surf. It was away from crowded areas where many of the other companies were teaching groups of students. It was much less crowded and they had so much fun and a great experience. Tim also gave a tip for lunch down the road afterwards and it was fantastic.

I hope to return to Maui in the next few years and I will definitely book with Hawaiian Paddle Sports again. Well done and best of luck to HPS. I strongly recommend them to anyone wanting to be active on the water.

Chicago, IL
4 attraction reviews
“This is a must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spent the morning with Chelsey on our very first SUP experience. It was fabulous! Not only did my husband and I get up immediately with Chelsey's great instruction but we also managed to see whales up close as well as turtles! She gave a good amount of education and you can tell this is a company that respects the ocean and strives to encourage others to do the same. We got quite a workout and had a blast while doing it! I highly recommend them! If you want personal service with competitive rates you can't go wrong here! We would definitely do it again. Mahalo!

Calgary, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing time doing the outrigger canoe whale watching!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Dan and I took the Outrigger Canoe Whale Watching tour this morning and it was absolutely amazing. Tim was a wonderful guide who taught us a lot about Hawaiin culture, history and of course all about the whales. We were so fortunate to see all kinds of whales, even seeing them breach fairly close to us. There is no comparison to going on a boat to do whale watching....this is simply the best. Because there is no boat motor sound, you can hear the whales breathing and see them at their level instead of looking from above. The tour starts around 7 a.m. Which is the best time of the day. We kept our safe distance from the whales but they came to us, probably getting as close as 20 yards away. I highly recommend this and it is worth the price to have this kind of experience. Thank you again Tim for helping me check off this item from my bucket list!