“Not that great” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 99 Activities in Kihei
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Locally owned, Maui Beach Boy's is a fully licensed and insured operated Maui Surf school Based in Kihei Hi. We also offer surfing tours.Also serving the Lahaina area.
SF
11 attraction reviews
“Not that great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I researched everything for the trip and decided on Maui Beach Boys based on reviews on Tripadvisor. My three kids had all had surf lessons before in San Diego and Santa Cruz so I had something to complare this to.
Showed up and were excited to get started since the blonde women who greeted us and the shorter guy with the goatee were so friendly. Internet said mention this ad and get $10 off price of $60 for the 2 hour group lesson. Later found out that everyone who walked by was also given $10 off as a "walk up special." Cash only. Four instructors were sent home since not many customers showed up that morning for the 8 am lesson.
8 am Kids (23 and 16) got rash guards and booties. Dry land lesson was good then off to the water. Got to the water about 820 to 830. Five total in group.
Time in the water was a big disappointment. The kids had a good time but the instructor phil? ricky? spent most of the shortened time with the other three students. Perhaps it was because my kids had surfed before but we were told they would get even better with this lesson.
Anyway, I was taking pictures the whole time and noticed that the instructor wasn't really doing that much with my kids. At 930 I asked my older son where the instructor was. He said the instructor had left to go get water with the other three 2 adults and kid. I went looking for him and at about 945 he was back at the truck getting ready to give another group lesson. Later my son told me he said they were doing ok and just keep practicing and he would be back
So for us the experience was a big rip-off. Lesson was essentially non-existent and much costlier and less productive then 2 other surf schools they had been to.
Perhaps it was just our instructor. I have to say I was in the water a good portion of the morning until about 1230 when they had to return the boards. You are allowed to keep the boards until the Maui Beach Boys leave for the day. Most places let you keep the board the whole rest of the day.
I think the kids and adults who were using a company called maui wave riders (mwr) on their shirts were getting much better group lessons with much more instructor "hands on" time. I would go with them next time.

JBHKihei, Owner at Maui Beach Boys, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
My apologies for not responding sooner, however I would like to do everything I can to make this right with you going forward. My name is John Browne (JB) and the owner of Maui Beach Boys. I encourage you to call me directly at 808-283-7114 so we can discuss your experience and disappointment with our service.
Mahalo,
JB
808-283-7114

Windsor, Canada
“thrilling...for parents and kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Our 4 kids (ages 10, 9 and 6 year old twins) have been looking forward to surfing lessons since we booked our Maui vacation 6 months ago....and Dylan at Maui Beach Boys made their first surfing experience absolutely perfect. All 4 easily got up, riding the waves with no problems at all. I would highly recommend this company - the experience was great fun and very safe - even for the littlest who aren't the strongest swimmers. As excited as the kids were, Mom and Dad were equally thrilled cheering from the beach and taking awesome pictures! Thanks Dylan for a memorable experience for the whole family!

JBMBB, Owner at Maui Beach Boys, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
mahalo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Thanks Carlos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Words of advise for those visiting Maui and wanting to learn to surf:

1. Look for Carlos at Maui Beach Boys
2. Do it at the beginning of the trip, not the end
3. If you're really interested but you don't know how to swim:
- (a) don't listen to your hotel concierge
- (b) look for Carlos of Maui Beach Boys and he'll look after you

I can swim but my wife and bro, who can't, wanted to learn with me. Unfortunately, that was our last day in Maui. All hotel concierge we spoke to advised us against surfing if you can't swim. The spot in Kihei where we were at had waist-high water.

Hey Carlos - i still want a rash guard with the MBB logo on it :)

Thanks again!!!

“Maui Surf Lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011 via mobile

My kids 12 & 14 just had a lesson with Augustino, this will definitely be the highlight of their trip!! These guys are awesome from start to finish. So much fun we went back again just to rent the boards so they could surf!

Regina, Canada
“SICK!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Dillon rocked the house as an instructor...very positive, encouraging, and fun! What an awesome experience. Very organized and friendly crew with good equipment. Full of good advice.
The Founds of Saskatchewan