“Good but there are better choices in Kihei” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 143 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Description: Welcome to Coconut's Fish Cafe, located in the center of Kihei. Coconut's Fish Cafe serves up Maui's finest food with exciting dishes and unique ambiance. At Coconut's Fish Cafe, every dish is created using only the freshest, finest ingredients. We never use microwaves and everything is cooked to order. We serve only the choicest cuts of seafood. Whether you choose to dine at our one-of-a-kind surfboard tables or take-out, our authentic menu and atmosphere make us a must-stop dining experience.
Maryland
“Good but there are better choices in Kihei”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We ate here during our last visit based on T/A recommendations. The food was good but there are many better choices in the area. Better tasting food and better prices.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
“Life Changer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

For 31 years I never thought about fish, never tried it or wanted anything to do with it, but thanks to Coconut's that's all changed. After 2 years of living 5 minutes away from this place I finally decided to give it a try and oh - my - god.

Thanks to Coconut's fish tacos my every waking moment is consumed with thoughts like: Ooh is Coconut's open yet? Have I been there too many times this week? Who can I send to go get me some food. Maybe I can pin all my hair under my hat and wear sunglasses and go back. Oh my god I want their tacos. Must go to Coconut's and so on and so forth.

Bliss, love, and joy are what their tacos taste like. They are soooooooooooooo good you won't want to eat anything else the rest of the day so you can taste the flavors in your mouth indefinitely, and they do linger for quite a while.

One does not simply eat their fish tacos, they experience their fish tacos. You will find your face and hands covered in sauce but you will be too blissed out to care. You savor every delicious bite and let it take you away to a happy place you didn't even know existed. It truly is a trip in itself.

In addition, the service is as good as the food. Go. Now.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Great casual dining and takeout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Highly recommend this casual stop for both lunch and dinner. Fantastic food for the price. Recommend the fish and chips and fish tacos (island style). Good portions. The young owner was very welcoming and took the time to greet us and expressed his gratitude, i.e. superb hospitality and service! Recommend getting there before 6pm since this seems to be a very popular place for visitors and locals alike. Definitely a keeper.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Littleton, New Hampshire
“Fantastic! A go to place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you spend any time on Maui you just have to eat here! We went twice and would have gone a few more times if it had been a bit closer to where we were staying. Coconut's Fish Cafe is in the Azeka shopping plaza/mall in Kihei. You place your order at a small counter and then go find a place to sit. There are lots of inside and outside tables, but depending on the time of day it can get crowded. We noticed when we went, that the turnover was about consistent with the number of people looking for tables. Your order gets delivered kitchen to table. One time I had the Fish Burger, which was outstanding, a little messy as everything you sometimes get on the side, was on the sandwich. It was a delicious experience. The fish & chips was also great with one piece of Ono & one piece of Mahi-Mahi. We also had a bowl of seafood chowder (New England style), we really should have ordered the "cup" to share, which would have been more than enough. What everyone raves about, and our California friends agreed are the fish tacos, this is another experience altogether. On one of our visits Mike Phillips made the rounds to each and every table making sure that he had happy customers. He wasn't disappointed. If you're going to Maui, put Coconuts high on your list. If you go early in your stay, we can almost guarantee you will go back before you leave - it is that good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Messy but so good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I loved my fish tacos - it came with 2 for almost $12 but I was so full, it was ridiculous. I would have eaten just one and been happy. I loved the nuanced flavour -- however, I read one review that asked how much I tasted the fish and I have to admit that I didn't taste a lot of fish. However, it tasted really really good. Mango, salsa, coleslaw on top with a crispy corn tortilla. I was recommended to eat them with my hands to get the "full flavour" so I did. It was incredibly messy. But there were lots of napkins, so no big deal. The hot sauces there aren't really hot and I didn't think they added anything - I preferred the tacos straight-up. It was one of my favourite meals in Maui. Better, in fact, than the "other" fish taco place (although I didn't have the tacos there so that might be the reason?). I didn't have to wait long, either, as I arrived JUST before a lunch rush.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere