“Different take on fish tacos and I liked it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 143 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Description: Welcome to Coconut's Fish Cafe, located in the center of Kihei. Coconut's Fish Cafe serves up Maui's finest food with exciting dishes and unique ambiance. At Coconut's Fish Cafe, every dish is created using only the freshest, finest ingredients. We never use microwaves and everything is cooked to order. We serve only the choicest cuts of seafood. Whether you choose to dine at our one-of-a-kind surfboard tables or take-out, our authentic menu and atmosphere make us a must-stop dining experience.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Different take on fish tacos and I liked it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We all ordered the fish tacos and an order of french fries. I will start by saying the my kids raved about the fries, so that kept them happy.

The tacos were more like a tostada. Definitely knife and fork eating. You get two per order and that would feed two people for lunch. They do add quite a few ingredients but they taste very fresh and don't mask the fish, which is the whole point of fish tacos.

Probably around $9 for an order of fish tacos. A bit pricey, but if you split it with someone, its very reasonable.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
N. Cali
“Unusual Fish Tacos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We are big fans of Jawz Tacos, which used to be in the same shopping center. We were dubious but our first visit to Coconuts was a big success. The fish tacos come with a bevy of delicious toppings, and are truly tostadas not tacos! So big they can't be picked up! They come two to an order, and my wife and I each took one home. The restaurant is bright, pleasant, and energetic! The line moves quickly, with the chef/owner circulating making sure everyone is happy. We will be back soon! Highly recommend this one. Reasonable prices, with quality food.

Los Angeles, CA
“Interesting fish tacos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

LIke the atmosphere of this restaurant. Very casual and good for families. Fish tacos had lots of ingredients that made it interesting and flavorful. My son also got the steak sandwich, which was very good. Not a cheap restaurant, but a good value.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Love the fish burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

So juicy and and so big in portion!!! Delicious!
I usually don't like fish burger as they are either dry or fried. This is the best I've ever had!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“No Hype this place is Awsome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Went there for an early dinner as we have been craving fish tacos for a while. We had some at the Four Seasons pool on our first day in Maui at the bar where we are staying and thought they were dry and overpriced (well that goes without saying at this hotel)
So that left us with a huge craving for some good local fish tacos.

So we drove down to Kihei which is about ten minutes from Wailea and wow. What a great decision we made. Their Fish Tacos are the best we've ever had !!! They are huge. They use corn tortillas which are better and healthier and lots of fish. For the price it makes you wonder where they get their fish from but it sure tasted fresh. I don't think anyone on Maui gives those kinds of proportions for that price. But hey I'm not one to complain. We also had their New England Clam Chowder which was excellent as well. Lots of fish in it as well and not as heavy as traditional New England Chowder as theirs has no heavy cream base.
My kids had the Garlic Steak sandwich and you cannot go wrong with that either. The bread they use for the sandwich is soft and fantastic.
I spoke to the owners son in law and he basically told me in a nutshell they work 12 to 14 hours a day and everything is made fresh!!
Now that's what I want to hear and trust me with the kind of volume they are doing you have no choice but to work hard and prepare daily.
In the end my wife and I thought that this along with Giovanni's Fish
Tuck in Oahu may have been the tastiest and freshest meals we had while in our month long trip to Hawaii. And that includes all the fancy meals at the Swanky Hotels were staying at.
Heed my advice. Drive to Kihei and go to Coconuts Fish Tacos. You will be very happy that you did!!!!!