“Wonderful! Great aloha charm :)” 5 of 5 stars

Maui Lu Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   575 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful! Great aloha charm :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

My boyfriend and I went in December during the off season as part of one of expedia's deals, and I was a bit worried after reading these reviews. Needless to say, it was wonderful! We got moved to a room right on the beach upon check-in, and we both had a great time. I don't need a super luxury resort, and honestly, we spent most of our time out and about and on the beach, but this place was a great home-base. The room was clean and well kept; the only critter we saw was a friendly gecko in our room. The staff was always super nice and friendly, and was always helpful.

This place has such a wonderful old-hawaii charm and ambiance- not your average bland condo-esque cookie cutter hotel! If you want some charm of old-fashioned Aloha, this will not fail to please! I'd definitely stay there again! I've uploaded some pictures from our stay as well.

• Liked — traditional hawaiian architecture, aloha charm, quiet, great beach and views
  • Disliked — not super fancy/luxury (a little dingy, but not dirty or unkempt), but that didn't bother us
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Maui Lu for our honeymoon, and I have to say.... We absolutely loved it! We stayed in the oceanfront building 400, room 404. No other resort in all of Maui has a building as close to the ocean as this one is! We kept the windows open all the time and fell asleep and woke up to the sound of the ocean. We decided to stay on the bottom floor instead of the top and we are very glad we did. All we had to do was open the sliding glass door, walk about 20 feet, and jump in the ocean! I got up every morning to go for a swim in the private cove we had. Hardly anyone ever there, warm, clear water with a small coral garden about 100 yards out and still only about 4 feet of water! The cove also had a freshwater shower which came in real handy. If you want somthing alittle bigger to play on than the cove, there is a huge stretch of beach about 100 feet to the right of the cove. There was also a long grassy area covered with palm trees right outside our glass door which helped make sunsets amazing.

From our room we had views of the harbor across the bay, the island of Lanai, and Molokini Crater. Our room was very clean when we got there and remained clean everyday as it was visited by room service who provided new glasses, towels, and vacumed daily. We also received a complimentery bottle of champange and bottles of water upon arriving at the hotel. The hotel is located on the far west side of Kihei, which in our opinion is the best town on the island ( yes we visited almost all of them and they are all very nice but Kihei is the best ). The hotel is secluded, but just a short drive away from shopping, restaurants, and some of the most amazing beaches we have ever seen.

We visited the rest of the hotel one day, and even though we didnt go into the rooms, the grounds were very beautiful. Green grass, plants and palm trees everywhere you looked. The buildings are old looking on the outside but thats the point of the hotel.... To give you that old school Polynesian feel. We went swimming in the pool which is very large with sloping sides which made getting out kinda difficult. The pool was cold but refreshing since it was hot out.

The parking lot on the oceanfront side was small and difficult to manuver, but there is an overflow lot right across the street. The lot also had a garden hose which allowed me to wash our jeep after the road to Hana. Our room also had a small refrigerator which was a good place to store groceries for the week we were there. The top shelf of the fridge was a freezer which we kept ice trays in. Next to the Fridge was a small safe which we stored valuables when we went out. There is also a small cable T.V. on the dresser which gave you access to many channels. A small gecko would come out at night and say hi. Watching him was very entertaining.

We read all of the bad reviews prior to our trip and are so glad that we paid them no heed. We appreciated their concerns, but honestly, in the building we statyed in, they were completely unfounded. One women pointed out that part of the hotel is boarded up, and yes, one building off to the side is boarded up and no longer functioning..... but so what! Is anyone staying in that building? No! Anyways I cannot speak for the cleanliness or bugs or whatever in the other buildings because we did not see the inside of them, but trust me, I can guarantee if you stay in the 400 building you will not be dissapointed in any way, shape, or form. If you're looking for a huge, 10 story resort with a bunch of pools, tennis courts, saunas, and all the charm of a busy shopping mall, then this place is not for you. But if you want absoulute peace and quiet, away from all the hustle and bustle of town, then this hotel is defenitely for you.

Anyways, hope this helps you in deciding where to stay. We are coming back to Maui for our 1 year anniversary and we will definetely be staying at the Aston Maui Lu again. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me anytime at www.greekness1@hotmail.com.

• Liked — The location.... Literally 20 feet from the beach!
  • Disliked — The oceanfront parking lot. Small and hard to manuver.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Aston Maui Lu as part of our
Pleasant Hawaiian package in February 2006 President's Weekend. This hotel is a 2-stars hotel and it shows. The bathroom is old/dirty...and so is the carpet. However we were out and about by 7am every morning so we basically come back to the hotel at night for bath/bed. If you just want a basic hotel
and will be exploring Maui most of the time, this is decent/OK.

Maui is beautiful has a whole lotta places to explore, so you shouldn't coop up in your hotel with a "view" anyways. Beware: our friends stayed at the Maui Seaside Hotel near the aiport and
got bitten by bed bugs!! so stay away from that hotel!

one more note, Breakfast at Kihei Cafe is da best! yum yum...try the french toast with coconut syrup!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

My husband booked this hotel for 2 nights. After that we were booked at The Westin in West Maui. I looked up the hotel on Trip Advisor and saw the negative reviews. Was happily surprised when we got there. The grounds are lovely. The room was near the pool so a short walk. The pool was too cold for me, but the kids liked it and my husband swam in it. It's like a large cement pond so we stayed near the steps because the kids, 3 and 5, couldn't get up the slippery angled sides to get out. It was slick everywhere and I had to keep a hand on the 3 year old when he was on the steps.
The room was large and clean enough. The only roach (small) I saw was when I got up in the night and turned on the light and it quickly scurried under furniture.
Hotel worked for us great because we were gone all day in Kehei and just needed somewhere to sleep.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool too cold, no frills
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

Aston Maui Lu Resort was a very nice hotel. I was so scared to stay here from all the bad reviews I read. I was shocked how nice it was. The hotel is older. In fact, it was the first hotel in Maui and is listed as historical. Just think of all the famous people that stayed here.

I cannot explain how happy we were with our room location, the view, and the quietness.The rooms are older looking, but our room 307 garden view was very clean. I was expecting the room to look like a dump, but was very nice. No dirt, clean beds and floors, very comfortable beds and extra pillows. We never saw any bugs or lizards like others claim. Even if you did, it's an tropical island even the nice hotels probably have lizards .You can hear the birds singing all the time in the trees. You wake up to the birds singing.

The grounds are kept up very nice and palm trees everywhere. Very close to the beach from are Garden view and your very close to shops and restaurants, about 2 miles down the street. This hotel is in the perfect location, its away from all the crazy restaurants and the madness. Hotel has lots of parking.

The employees were very, very nice to us. They also feed two stay cats that you will see in the garden.
Im so sad, this hotel is going to be torn down soon. It's such a cool hotel. I quess it was bought out and going be made into timeshares.

The only bad part of this hotel is they have regular keys and the locks are a pane.

I would stay here again no problem. Just keep in mind, it's older but still kept in good condition. I almost didn't stay here with all the bad reviews, im so glade I didn't listen to these people. I would have mist out in an awesome hotel.

Feel free to email,
Bdadylash@aol.com

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — Doors
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

This was our 2nd stay. Years ago we were beach side and had no complaints. This time around we stayed gardenside. This place is in desperate need for a renovation. The grounds are well kept and clean, but the rooms are getting run down. It's not brutal, yet. You get what you pay for, shop around. If your renting a car, which you really should, consider a bed and breakfast. Don't expect much, it's basic. If you want a relaxing and low key vacation stay in Kehei.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

Upon arrival to the Aston Maui Lu, the room was not "ready" (it was 5 p.m. in the evening). Housekeeping was sent and we waited in the lobby. Once we were given the "okay", we were handed 4 towels and given a map to our room. When we entered the room, the first hint of trouble was the mold on the walls and carpet, blood on the night stand, cockroach on the wall, and horrific smell of the outdated, filthy room. My husband immediately called the front desk and someone came to show us another room which was almost just a bad. We had our 2 children with us who were exhausted with a 6 hour time difference and had just flown for 13 hours. We declined the other room and instead started calling every hotel on Maui looking for another hotel, to no avail. Unfortunately, we were forced to stay there for an entire night. The comforters and pillows smelled of urine. We check out at 5 a.m the next morning. I told the desk again of the condition of the room and was given the business card of a "manger" to email a complaint to. We drove away with my daughter asking when we were going to see "paradise".

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — filthy room, uncaring staff
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Maui Lu Resort? Share your experiences!