“room needs some freshening up, but view was awesome” 3 of 5 stars

Maui Lu Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   575 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
A TripAdvisor Member
“room needs some freshening up, but view was awesome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2003

The staff were great, Jane was very helpfull, forgot the guys name, but he was helpfull too. We up graded to an ocean view room. The view was awesome to say the least. The room needed new carpeting, and some paint, but it was clean. The beds were comfortable, and the maid brought fresh towels every day. Never saw any bugs, but did see a lizard. The swimming pool was nice, but the water was cold. Had to look real hard to find the burned out buildings everyone seemed so concerned about. Why they don't knock them down I don't know, maybe it's just their lay back attitude. Like the guy in the motel 6 commercials says when you turn out the lights all hotel rooms look the same. I would stay there again. Maui is so beautiful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2003

I too am one that read all the reviews before going to stay at the Maui Lu. I was worried as to what we might find there. My wife and I go to Hawaii a couple of times a year and try to save as much as possible on the accomodations. I thought we had gotten a great price when I booked our stay there. We stayed on the top floor of the Maui Lu with the garden view. Yes the room was run down and the buildings are in need of repair, but we were not there to spend our entire time in the room. The only insects that we found in the room at all was some of the small sugar ants in the bathroom, but let me tell you I have stayed at a number of 4 and 5 star places in Hawaii and have had the same thing in the rooms. I talked with some of the staff about the place needing repairs and found out the Aston is fight with the state of Hawaii about doing any repairs, seem they aways want to keep things as is instead of improving... The grounds are very very beautiful at the Maui Lu and is a quite palce to stay. So if you are looking for all the plush then stay away, if you are looking for a place that is quite with beautiful grounds and some place to rest at night then stay in the Maui Lu...

toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2003

We stayed in the Maui Lu with much trepidation this past summer. We were going to be staying five nights at the Westin Maui on points but needed to stay somewhere for two nights prior. Not wanting to spend a lot of money especially since we got in so late the first night we decided to check the Maui Lu out. Overall I have to say it was as bad as people say but also acceptable for the price as long as you can get it dirt cheap. There was definitely the bad. Like the first night I was biten by ants all night and was itchy all over. We asked to be moved to another room the next day and they were very accomodating. We ended up on the second floor and although I did see ants in the bathroom at least they did not journey into the bedroom. The rooms are definitely worn and tired but for budget accomodations and budget prices it was acceptable. The pool was so murky that you cannot see your feet and if you dropped something in it and tried to retrieve it good luck. My husband joked that there are bodies in there that have not been found.
The pool did not seem dirty just very murky. I think the filtration system needs repair like the rest of the resort. They do offer nice towels for the pool at the activities centre. What I did like about the Maui Lu besides the location is its spacious well kept grounds. With two kids it gave them plenty of room to roam. I also liked the microwave, breakfast tables and free coffee that they gave in the mornings. Our family would go to the local supermarket and come back with breakfast items and eat them on the tables sipping good coffee and enjoying the ocean view. So would I stay here again? Only if they can gurantee that I will not get a ground floor room and I got a super cheap rate. I would however stay at the Westin Maui on points.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2003

Got the room through Priceline.Com. They represented it as a two star facility. It was just for one night prior to our departure. I agree with most of the "negative" reviews. I think the surley receptionist woman saw that we booked through Priceline and gave us a room on the first floor (#102) that looks out to a stone wall. The bathroom was clean, everything else was very dirty. The A/C worked, saw no bugs. The staff came over right away to extract the key that broke in the lock before we even got into the room.

What really surprised us is that in the morning the parking lot was actually half full. We were afraid that all the scary stuff about theft and disclaimer forms you had to sign upon check in meant that we were the very last guest at this tired and unmaintained facility.

The 12 oclock check out is actually nice, we got breakfast down the road and toured the sugar museum before packing up.

My biggest problem is how Priceline represented the facility, and I have already let them know. I am sure, after the dozer is done, there will be a nicer place here since they sit on a lot of valuable acerage.
Oh yes, I don't consider myself a snob but this place is no bargain at any price.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2003

This hotel is nothing fancy, but it's decent. Like everyone else, I was pretty scared when I read the reviews...especially the one where the guy said the hotel caught on fire. The building that was boarded up was NOT the one that guests stay in, so you don't have to worry about that.
The room was always clean and we really liked the location. I did not find any bugs, stains, insects, or anything of that sort in the room. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a decent/average place to stay...especially if you're on a budget becuase I would rather stay in an average hotel and use my extra money to do fun activities such as parasailing, jet skiing, snorkling, etc, than stay at an expensive hotel and have to limit my activities. I would stay at the Maui Lu again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2003

I've read all the bad reviews here and figured it was just from people who expected too much from a bargain hotel. Boy was I wrong.

I recently stayed here for 4 nights. Upon arrival, I upgraded to the oceanfront rooms as recommended. I was on the ground floor and the hotel gave me this paper warning of possible thefts/attacks by keeping the door open. I also had to sign a form saying since I did not want to pay to use the safe the hotel was not responsible for any thefts that occurred. Not the best way to start out.

I drove to the ocean building and had trouble fitting my midsize car in the parking spots. When I got to the room, I was in shock.

The sliding door opened onto the ocean, but the door did not seal completely allowing both cockroaches and centipedes to crawl unobstructed into the room. I actually had to ask the housekeeper to remove the cockroches trapped between the screen and the door. When the centipede came into the room, I had to contact the front desk.

They were accomodating and moved me to the next floor up. The doors sealed, and not as many bugs in the room. The bottoms of the furniture did look like they were rotting, and the wall paper was peeling off the walls. There was also mold in the shower area.

I realize this is a tropical location, and these things are actually common place, but I take many business trips to Maui and they just seemed to really stand out at this hotel. I have stayed at other bargain hotels here without these types of warnings, or problems.

While the price was definitely tempting, I know I will not stay here again, until they do some serious cleaning and renovation.

College Park, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2003

We had a great time at the Maui Lu Resort during the week of September 6. We stayed at the garden view room and yes: it is simple and the carpet was full of stains and the mattress too. I tried not to look closely. But the sheets and towels were clean, and the bathroom too.
The staff was really friendly. We didn't spend a lot of time inside our room, because when we were at the hotel we would stay outside. The grounds were really well kept and we could always smell the trees with the white flowers (I don't know it's name). We used the pool which was clean and mostly only for us. It was very quiet and peaceful. The location was great: close to great and affordable restaurants and we drove everywhere around the island... Since we were most interested in beaches, South Maui was perfect, full of good swimming beaches. The sunset in front of the hotel is really awsome... We also enjoyed our complimentary copy of the Honolulu Adverstiser and the complimentary coffee every morning... If I go back I would definetely stay at the Maui Lu. It was perfect for what we paid for....

Been to Maui Lu Resort? Share your experiences!