“Clean, comfortable, convenient & friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Maui Lu Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   575 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
Amarillo, Texas
“Clean, comfortable, convenient & friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Maui Lu is in a great central location for exploring the Island, and a good home base to come back to each night! If you are looking for a fancy resort, it is not for you. The place is obviously old, things don't all look "perfect", but it is generally well maintained, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and spacious, and everything was in working order. The king sized bed was comfortable, the shower was good, there is a hair dryer, room safe, refrigerator, coffee maker, and a good sized lanai to relax on. What more do you need? We were on the garden side this time, across the street from the ocean. The grounds are peaceful, and the pool area is nice and clean. There are grills available near the pool, as well as a laundry room. We stayed here in 2005 in an oceanfront room. There you have a beautiful view, the sound of the waves, and a nice little private beach area right outside the rooms! This trip, we walked across the street and enjoyed that at sunset! If you are not expecting a ritzy, updated, perfect resort - the Maui Lu is a good place to relax after a day of fun in Paradise!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Laupahoehoe, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I just typed in "cheap hotel maui" and this was the least expensive...it is extremely run-down...when my boyfriend & I pulled up, there is a delapidated building right up front...I was like, Oh No!!! This CAN'T be it!!!! Well...thankfully, it wasn't...but, the hotel itself wasn't in that much better condition. Wood paneling falling off the outside of the rooms, abandoned shopping carts in the parking lot, patchy grass on the front lawn, and for some reason it REALLY bugged me that they never swept our front door area. Inside our room we had ants in the bathroom, and there was a little framed picture on the bathroom wall, the glass looked like it hadn't been cleaned in YEARS, which was gross. Dirty walls as well in the bathroom and room. It was also disconcerting to get home Saturday evening after a day of sightseeing to see a police officer with two hotel guests reporting a burglary.
Also, our hotel room phone rang at 7am each morning....which was a bummer!!!
This being said, it WAS the cheapest room I could find. And the staff was very nice. We didn't use the pool but it looked nice and clean. Also, the hotel is right across the street from a nice stretch of beach.
All in all, I would not call this place a "Resort", more of a motel!!!!

KiheiPauls, Manager at Maui Lu Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Aloha

I appreciate our guest comments. Sometimes, it is important to put the comments into context so that readers get a fair and unbiased perspective.

Maui Lu is an "old" hotel built in the 1960's. There is a building on property waiting on County permitting to be torn down. All shopping carts belong to the local stores and somehow some find their way to the property. The carts are then picked up and returned to the stores. We actually have 28 acres of land with probably half of that covered in grass. Our sprinklers run pretty much all day long. Kihei is an extremely windy area as evidenced by the giant wind turbins on the mountain. Entries and lanais are swept on a regular basis, but it is impossible to keep these area spotless. Today, Kihei was blessed with "Hawaiian Snow" from the burning cane fields blown by the ever present tradewinds. The black ashes were everywhere - just part of living in paradise. We have not had any breakins. Our policy is to advise our guests to call the Police to report missing items that might have been lost in the car or any place. The Police report is valuable to our guests so that they can turn the report into their Insurance company.

I do have to say that the little picture you mentioned will come down:)

Mahalo

Woodhaven, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband & I had a wonderful time at the Maui Lu. The staff was super friendly, our room (which was ocean view) was clean & neat, the views were perfect & our little private beach was just what we needed during our stay. To hear nothing but waves crashing at night was just delightful. The location is great; restaurants, surfing lessons, gift shops, etc are all about 5 to 10 minutes away by car. If you're in a pinch, there's a delicious Korean restaurant within walking distance. I would definitely come back to the Maui Lu; we couldn't have asked for a better time in Maui!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a MUST!!!
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very friendly and polite staff. Location is best walking distance to beach. Free coffee and wifi from lobby. If you hire a car (everybody does it in Maui) Kihei is the best location because you are in the middle of the island and you can wander in 3-4 days all over the places. Very good value for money (for Maui).
On the other hand room are a little bit worn out but who cares you are in a paradise and the garden view is fantastic,

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
fla
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

As you walk in the door the first thing you notice is dirty stained carpet. I refused to take off my shoes until I got into bed, I felt the rug would stain my socks. Cobwebs were hanging off the ceiling. Seriously, the general manager has to take a walk through his hotel and ask 'would I want to stay in this room'. We were disappointed and will not return.

KiheiPauls, Manager at Maui Lu Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Aloha

I took your advice and walked through several rooms. We do have some rooms needing the carpet replaced, mainly in the entries. We are in the process of replacing all of the carpet. The existing carpet isn't dirty, it is just worn out in the entries in some of the rooms. We have an outside carpet cleaner clean all of our carpets on a regular schedule. We will avoid using the identified rooms.

Thank you for your constructive criticism.

New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in June and loved our stay. We stayed in the beach front building on the second floor with a full view on the ocean & a little private beach to the property. The hotel is in great need of some renovation but it is very clean and the personnel is very friendly. On Sunday & on Thursday night, they have a Luau that for which you can reserve a place for a fee. And they also have a travel agent desk by the reception service by a very friendly lady that can book all of your outings & adventure escapade on the island.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and would love to return someday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lombard, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Landed late on a Saturday and just wanted a bed. Knew the reviews were bad but thought I'd get a clean bed and that's all I wanted. Check in was a little disorganized but got the job done. While I was there she got a call from a room to register several additional cars. Got to the room and it was as bad as other reviews. Everything was run down and there was a distinct mildew odor. Not a big deal. The sheets appeared snowy white and were actually very soft. Went to sleep and then about 2:30am (hmmm - isn't that shortly after the bars close?) all heck broke loose. Couldn't believe the DH remained asleep. There were at least 5 distinct loud/shouting voices and who knows how many others. Managed a reasonable sleep. Several days later my credit card was cancelled for fraud. Now I'm a reasonable person and have absolutely no proof or even anything that occured to make me know this but I just do. Something happened here to compromise my credit card. Thank goodness the Marriott Courtyard at the airport is open now. I'll gladly pay the extra $$ for a bed after a late night flight.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Maui Lu Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Aloha Travelers,

I am very sorry you were disturbed late at night. I am also very sorry your credit card was cancelled. Unfortunately, Maui Lu cannot control your credit card or all people on Maui especially on a July 4th weekend. Maui Lu does have Security and our front desk is open 24/7, so there was a way to resolve the noise problem. Our hotel and all hotels are extremely careful with guest credit card information. We deal with thousands of guests and we make sure we abide by all laws pertaining to personal guest information. You should be able to contact your credit card company to see exactly what happened to your credit card.

I hope we are all above pointing fingers and making assumptions without proof because travelers and hotel operators depend on the comments on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

Paul Schow

Been to Maui Lu Resort? Share your experiences!