“Quite good stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Coast Hotel

You added Maui Coast Hotel to your Saves list
Maui Coast Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2259 South Kihei Road, Across the Street From Kamaole Beach I, Kihei, Maui, HI 96753   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
New York
“Quite good stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed there for 5 days in this June. It is a wonderful stay. The food in the Spicy Restaurant is great, recommend the breakfast special. The parking lot is spacious.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

This is a great hotel , although its not on the beach the beach is right across the street.
Very clean rooms, Best bed I have ever slept in at a hotel. Can't say anything negative about this hotel. Would definately stay again

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I am surprised this was given 3 stars. It was a very nice hotel, and that the price was extremely reasonable was a bonus. It was clean, modern, and close to the beach. The pool was really nice too. I cannot think of a bad thing to say about this hotel. I highly recommend it.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We just returned from one week at the Maui Coast Hotel.
It has just been refurbished and couldn't be nicer. We were automatically upgraded from a King Room to a One Bedroom King Suite. This hotel is not on the ocean but is across the street from a park located right on the beach, just a short walk. I negotiated a great price two weeks before our stay for a hotel-breakfast-car package which worked out to be very reasonable. The whole staff was very accomodating and friendly which really enhanced our stay. They have live music around the pool in the evening which is nice if there are not a lot of kids. We arrived just before the Labor Day weekend so only had to deal with it for a couple of days, then things were quiet. The beds are new and great, and the cleaning staff does an excellent job. We asked for an easy access room as I have arthritis and were given a room close to the elevators, just a short stroll to the pool. I'd skip the restaurant 'Spices' except for breakfast which was passable. There are lots of places to eat nearby, Cafe O'lei, Fred's & Sensi were all great. I'd stay again in a heartbeat.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

It is not often that I give a hotel 5 bubbles on ALL aspects of the stay. The Maui Coast Hotel lived up to this ranking and then some!

We chose Kihei because we were going to be leaving on dive charters at 6 in the morning and did not want to drive all the way in from Lahaina. Wailea is nice but we were not looking for the big over priced resort experience. We were on Maui to do things not just hang out at a resort. All the recent reviews of the Maui Coast were great so we decided to go with the hotel. The hotel was running a stay 4 nights get the 5th night free promotion.

Upon pulling up to the hotel, the open air lobby was beautiful and had a very welcoming feeling. We were early and our room was not yet available. They offered to hold our luggage for the hour or so till the room was ready, but we just left it in out trunk and went grocery shopping. We figured having some drinks, muffins, and munchies was a benefit since we were on Maui for 7 days. (We had already spent 4 nights on the big island)

The halls in this hotel are very long but there is a mid hotel elevator so you can park on the area near your room without having to walk the distance of the hotel. There are three computers in the lobby for free guest use. In room internet has a charge, but we had our Verizon card so did not need to access their in room internet. There are guest laundry rooms on every other floor which was very nice as we needed to do mid trip laundry. Also we were able to wash clothes after diving and sightseeing. Washers and Dryers are free, just either bring your own detergent, or buy theirs.

The pool area while not a resort pool is very nice. It is framed by palm trees, tiki torches at night, two hot tubs, a free form pool, and poolside bar / grill. We never had a problem finding somewhere to lounge. During the earlier part of the day the pool area can be hot without much breeze, but during the afternoons when the trade winds pick up it is wonderful. We felt hanging out at the beach in the morning when the winds were low and at the pool in the afternoon when the winds were higher were perfect. (When we were not out doing all the things that Maui has to offer.) We did not eat at the restaurant but did have a round of drinks poolside. There was live music poolside in the evening. We thought we would stop in and listen, but reality is by nightfall we were pretty tired since we were active early each day. Though the hotel does not have a direct water view (though it appears some of the higher level rooms at the front of the hotel might.) it is right across from King Kamole II Beach and just a two minute drive from King Kamole III / Kihei Boat Ramp. (Dive and fishing charters)

The hotel offers free shuttle service within Kihei and Wailea, but we did not need to use it. The few nights we went out for cocktails we were able to walk easily to several restaurants. There were many good dining options for reasonable prices available in Kihei. (You can see my other reviews.) Free parking is available though many of the spots are very small but there was plenty of parking available.

The front desk staff was wonderful. You check your pool towels out from them, and after a couple of visits, they get to know you. I have rave reviews for Edwin, who was working during the day each day. I lost my room key several times and also requested pool towels each day. After the first couple of visits to the front desk he knew our room number and names. He also had a wonderful bubbly personality that really added a glow to the hotel.

As for the room it was great. We booked a standard king room, but were upgraded to a Junior Suite as this was an anniversary trip. The standard rooms also seemed very nice. The larger room adds a sitting area, and bigger bathroom, about 150 SF. The descriptions of the rooms online are spot on, no exaggerations. Nice balcony with two chairs. We were on the 4th floor, and though our balcony faced the parking lot the trees and vegetation made it a pleasant view. Never any noise from the parking lot. The hotel had one of the most comfortable beds of any hotel I have stayed in. The refrigerator, wet bar, and microwave were great to have. The bathroom was well designed, spacious, had a large soaking tub / shower combo. Also a neat feature that I had not seen before, there was some kind of defogging heater in the mirror that kept the back lit and center portions of the mirror heated so they did not fog. Too Cool! Bathroom was well stocked with toiletries and blow dryer. Room had a nice iron, plenty of plugs, and a nice work desk and plenty of closet and drawer space. The only thing that would be nice to see in the room – a swivel on the TV – it was a bit hard to watch from the bed, but easy to watch from the couch. (Also you could not watch TV and work at the desk.) This is a very minor nit picky item…..nothing major! The curtains do an excellent job of blocking out all the light. The AC worked well and had the ability to keep the blower motor on for white noise. There was a ceiling fan over the bed. Rooms were quiet.

Housekeeping did a wonderful job of keeping the rooms clean. It seemed that no matter what time of day you walked the halls there were always housekeepers around. Any time you called and asked for the staff to clean your room at a certain time, it seemed to be promptly taken care of.

A+ Maui Coast Hotel – We will be back someday! Thanks Edwin for a great job. The hotel had the feel of a small resort and though the grounds were not at lush as our stay at the Sheraton on Kaanapali, the room and facilities had it all over the Sheraton for alot less money.

Waipahu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

My husband, 2 1/2 yr. old daughter, and I, just returned from our Labor Day weekend getaway to Maui. I chose this hotel because it was recently renovated and there was a reasonable price for Kamaaina (Hawaii residents). We enjoyed our stay! The rooms were beautifully updated (although it was my first time there so I can't compare to what it looked liked before), the carpets were CLEAN, the beds were super comfy, the bathroom was a little small (they need sliding doors) but it was nicely updated & clean, closet to store luggage & hang some clothes, had a microwave & refrigerator, 37" flat panel tv, a/c, and ceiling fan (which was over one bed and we put my husband there as he is always hot).

I paid a kamaaina rate of $119/nt which is a true winner considering they offer free parking (which had lots but some were so tight that some took up 2 spaces), free use of the washer & dryer (had 2 of each on floors 2, 4, & 6) which worked out great for me because my daughter was sick & I could wash her clothes when it got dirty. The only thing you would have to buy is detergent & dryer sheets (which was available in the vending machine in the washroom but I bought from Longs as it was a few cents cheaper). And while I was washing the clothes, I took advantage of the free use of the computer stations they have in the lobby (there's 3). As long as you're a guest there, there was nothing needed to use the computers. If it was open, you just walk up and click away. It was so convenient!

All in all, it was a nice hotel and we would definitely stay there again but we don't know when we would go back as Maui itself was a bore. We wanted a last trip before baby #2 comes in Nov. and so we took our daughter to the Maui Ocean Center, Sugar Cane Train in Lahaina, and she fed some goats at Surfing Goat Dairy. Other than that, there was not much to see & do on Maui (oh we did check out Iao Valley which was nice). My husband & I already did Haleakala in 2000 (won't do it again) and we weren't gonna take that long trip to Hana (there's nothing there anyway) so we found it a bore. If I wasn't pregnant & we didn't take our daughter with us, we would probably do the zip line (as there isn't any on Oahu) but that's about it. We live on Oahu and when we want to get away for an island trip, we'd rather go to the Big Island or Kauai. I really don't know what the Maui locals mean when they told some other tourists that they would probably see them soon as Maui is so addicting. But hey, if you've never been to Maui before and wanna check it out, go ahead. But, in my opinion, keep the Big Island & Kauai in mind.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We stayed here last week for 3 days. I really loved this hotel. First, the rooms were newly redone. Second, it was really clean and quiet. THE BED was the best bed I've ever slept on - seriously! Even though in Hawaii you'd love an ocean view (which I got at another hotel later), the mountain view room was just fine with me! It was close to everything, a 2 min drive to Wailea beaches, and laundry on floors 2,4, and 6 were great! We actually really missed this hotel when we got to the Sheraton. We loved the Sheraton too but they have totally different vibes and this was really low-key and not bombarded by other guests. Do yourself a favor, save a lot of money and stay here!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Maui Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!