“Mad about Mana Kai Maui” 5 of 5 stars

Save 15% OFF
Ranked #21 of 63 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Mad about Mana Kai Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2006

I first visited this amazing place when my brother lived up the road and I scopped out this diamond in the rough! Every year since II have returned to stay at the mana kai maui. It is by far the best beach on the entire island. Great for long walks and plus just 10 minutes down your beach are the $500+ a night resorts, guess what, they were ripped off! We are savvy travalers. If you book 7+ nights here sometime you will receive a free night. WOW! chech out hawaiiconnections[--]for more great deals.

Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

Our family of three stayed at the Mana Kai during Spring Break and are thrilled to have found a place on Maui we can call home. We stayed in a 2-bedroom "Superior" beach front unit that was in a word awesome. "Superior" means updated within the last five years with high end appliances, granite countertops, etc. First off, I doubt that a finer view from a balcony could be found on all Maui -- spectacular. Everything was ultra clean and wonderfully maintained. Kitchen was fully stocked for our cooking needs. The proximity to the beach cannot be overstated . . . it's right there, a few steps away, perfect for snorkeling, bodysurfing, boogieboarding. As far as the reviews concerning Kihei's lack of charm, well, I'm absolutely not a shopper -- couldn't care about that stuff in the least. We did make the very short drive to The Shops at Wailea to get some Kauai Pie ice cream from Lappert's. If you're into shopping, all your needs can certainly be satisfied there. Lastly, we stayed at the Grand Wailea (big luxury resort) a few years ago and I was so utterly disappointed that I had sworn off Maui. Horribly expensive (even for a dark, no-frills patio view room), and if you didn't have your beach towel draped over a lounge chair by 7:30 a.m., well, you weren't going to get a chair that day! And because there was no kitchen in the room, of course, all meals had to be taken out adding to more expense (plus, it gets awfully tiresome eating in restaraunts all the time). Although the Mana Kai doesn't have the whoop--dee--doo waterslides the Grand Wailea offers, in every other respect, it's got the GW all beat at about half the price. We paid $210 a night for 4 nights and $270 for three -- for what we enjoyed, quite a bargain!

• Stayed April 2006
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

Okay, we stayed at the Mana Kai from March 31 - April 7th, 2006. We did not find this hotel to be dirty as per the below review, it was very clean. Yes, I agree that the ladies at the front desk were horrible - we were treated so poorly by them it wasn't even funny - I don't think they even know how to smile... but, we didn't let it bother us, we had very little to do with them anyways.

We stayed on the 4th floor in a condo facing the ocean/beach. Our unit was very clean and although the noise from the pool below could be quite loud at times from children yelling, we didn't mind - hey, the kids are having fun and we're all on vacation here - I was nine years old at one point too (sadly, longer ago than I'd like to admit).

Here's my review:
- 5 Palms restaurant is fantastic. My husband and I went there for dinner on our last evening - service was some of the best we've ever had, food was outstanding.
- Lobby - under construction, but I'm sure they'll be finished soon (even though it was supposed to finished by the end of March I think).
- Front desk ladies - horrible, awful, rude and nasty. But, I didn't go there to see them. Whatever.
- Any other staff I encountered: friendly, gracious, accomodating
- Room/Condo: exceptionally clean and well maintained. Full kitchen, comfortable bed, nice couch, good TV, large lanai, great view.. wonderful to fall asleep and wake up with the sound of the waves crashing. "Another day in paradise" we said to one another when we awoke each morning.
- Location: awesome. Kihei is a nice town, don't be afraid, it's not the 'hood'. We found it to have clean beaches and safe streets. The hotel itself is located on a long, beautiful beach. We really enjoyed the snorkelling, suntanning, walking and relaxing.

Overall, great place. Good value for your money. I have already recommended this hotel to other people. Go, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed April 2006
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

I read the the April 5 review and could not help but respond. Here are some specifics of why my family had such a bad experience with the Mana Kai:
1) When we checked in the receptionist was HORRIBLY rude.
2) When we tried to get to our room the elevator was broken. The hallway carpets were disgustingly dirty and reeked (I mean REEKED) liked urine.
3) Our room was very, very dirty. The bedspread had a very large brown stain on it. We saw several cockroaches running in the room.
4) It was VERY noisy! No, it was not the sound of pounding waves that we heard. It was the sound of drunk teenagers running around in the parking lot. We complained to management and they took no action. All night long these tweakers kids yelled in the parking lot. It was scary!
5) The hotel was run down and in desperate need of a makeover!
6) Kihei IS a dirty town with NO charm. If your idea of a beautiful Hawaiian vacation is dirty beaches, lots of traffic, run down accommodations and lots and lots of strip malls than you may enjoy Kihei. However, Maui has so much more to offer. Kihei is known as a spot that budget conscious families stay. However, just because you don't have very much money it doesn't mean that you are stuck in Kihei. And, believe me, if you have money you are NOT staying in Kihei.

My husband and I spend 3 weeks in Maui. We stayed at 8 different hotels all around the island. We stayed at some very, very expensive hotels and some more budget concious hotels. I can say from honest experience that Kihei is the dirtiest town that we saw. We LOVED every other hotel that we stayed at. If you are looking for a good clean budget hotel on a beautiful beach than stay at the Mauian in Napali. This is a very cool funky hotel right on a beautiful clean beach. If you are looking for unique accommodations on a peaceful and private side of the island than try the Hamoa Bay Bungalows in Hana. This bungalow is like a 5 star tree house for a small price tag.

I have no ax to grind. Unlike some of the other reviewers who just stayed at the Mana Kai I saw many different hotels on all sides of the island and wanted to offer some informative advice to others before they book their trip. I can HONESTLY say that I did not like the Mana Kai or Kihei. At this price level you can stay at many other hotels that are much nicer. Please don't take this advice personally....

• Stayed March 2004
Riverside, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2006

I just had to respond to the review dated March 31. I have stayed at the Mana Kai on several occasions over the last seven years. My husband and I and our children ages 12 and 8 love the Mana Kai. I consider myself to be very finicky when it comes to cleanliness and I have NEVER had an issue with this at the ManaKai. The rooms and linens have always been very clean and the grounds are impeccable. No, its not a five star resort, but the accomodations are very comfortable, and the view and location are second to none. As far as the noise is concerned, there may be some slight noise from the hotel room area, which is over the parking area but from the condo , I guess you could consider the pounding surf noisy.....but its music to my ears!!! The boogie boarding, snorkling and beach walking are unsurpassed from this area. And yes, Kihei may be a bit bitnik, but thats the charm of it. Crime??? I'm sure it happens, it does everywhere, but we have never had an incident, in fact, when my husband lost his wallet at the Akina beach area on one of our trips, we found that someone had turned it in(undisturbed) to the Kihei police office. Unbelievable actually!!

Anyway, I'm sure we could all gripe about one thing or another when we go somewhere on vacation. I don't know what happend to the previous family to cause them to write such a scathing review, but to knock every aspect of the resort and town ........lends me to believe that they have an axe to grind. I respect reviews that are subjective to problems, not objective to every negative aspect that they can possibly think of.

Just wanted to give some perspective to help those that may be considering or already have a trip planned to Kihei and/or the Mana Kai. You won't be dissapointed! Aloha!

• Stayed July 2005
Truckee, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2006

I cannot imagine a worse hotel than the Mana Kai! The staff was rude, the hotel was sooo dirty, the elevator was broken, the rooms was run down, smelly and covered in stains! Nobody in their right mind would sleep on those sheets! The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. It was sooo noisy I could not sleep. I could not wait to leave this hotel! We had a group of 6 couples with us and we all had the same experience. I cannot believe that some people like this hotel! I find this so shocking! Kihei in general is run down, dirty, poor and filled with crime. Why would anyone come all the way to maui to stay in kihei is beyond me! Yuck, yuck, yuck! Do NOT stay at this hotel! If you are looking for a budget hotel on the beach and in a nice area than stay at one of the budget hotels in Napali. This area is lovely and affordable and close to shopping and activities. Do not stay in Kihei. It is like a big strip mall filled with dirty beaches and cheap hotels. Compared to the other hotels in this area the Mana Kai is nice--but that is not saying much!

• Stayed March 2004
Vancouver B.C
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

We have just returned from a great family holiday at the Mana Kai. We stayed in room 606 that we rented from the owners off the internet. Had the condo from March 8th till the 22nd 2006. The Mana Kai is an older building that is being up-dated. Since the units have different owners some have had upgrades, which ours did. The units are 2br, 1br, and a hotel room. We had a 2br condo which had a great view down the beach. Some people find the hotel-type room small so look into what you are booking. The pool is a nice size and we swam in it almost every day, but with the wonderful beach right there we spent most of our time swimming in the ocean. The snorkeling was nice, easy for first timers and we saw turtles and many fish. The lawn area is great for anyone who likes to lay in the sun. Friendly staff and the grounds are tidy and clean. Our kids, ages 17 and 11 enjoyed the waves for boogie boarding and the tide pools. It was so nice not to have to pack the car up and drive to a beach somewhere. The balconys on the condo units are large enough dining on, which we did all the time. We have been to Maui 4 times and this is the best we have seen yet. Yes it is an older building and renovations are happening, but we never were bothered by any noise. We loved the Mana Kai and understand why people return here year after year. We will be doing the same.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Mana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!