“Another view of the Mana Kai........” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Winter Special - Save 30%
Ranked #14 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
USA
“Another view of the Mana Kai........”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

I read the the April 5 review and could not help but respond. Here are some specifics of why my family had such a bad experience with the Mana Kai:
1) When we checked in the receptionist was HORRIBLY rude.
2) When we tried to get to our room the elevator was broken. The hallway carpets were disgustingly dirty and reeked (I mean REEKED) liked urine.
3) Our room was very, very dirty. The bedspread had a very large brown stain on it. We saw several cockroaches running in the room.
4) It was VERY noisy! No, it was not the sound of pounding waves that we heard. It was the sound of drunk teenagers running around in the parking lot. We complained to management and they took no action. All night long these tweakers kids yelled in the parking lot. It was scary!
5) The hotel was run down and in desperate need of a makeover!
6) Kihei IS a dirty town with NO charm. If your idea of a beautiful Hawaiian vacation is dirty beaches, lots of traffic, run down accommodations and lots and lots of strip malls than you may enjoy Kihei. However, Maui has so much more to offer. Kihei is known as a spot that budget conscious families stay. However, just because you don't have very much money it doesn't mean that you are stuck in Kihei. And, believe me, if you have money you are NOT staying in Kihei.

My husband and I spend 3 weeks in Maui. We stayed at 8 different hotels all around the island. We stayed at some very, very expensive hotels and some more budget concious hotels. I can say from honest experience that Kihei is the dirtiest town that we saw. We LOVED every other hotel that we stayed at. If you are looking for a good clean budget hotel on a beautiful beach than stay at the Mauian in Napali. This is a very cool funky hotel right on a beautiful clean beach. If you are looking for unique accommodations on a peaceful and private side of the island than try the Hamoa Bay Bungalows in Hana. This bungalow is like a 5 star tree house for a small price tag.

I have no ax to grind. Unlike some of the other reviewers who just stayed at the Mana Kai I saw many different hotels on all sides of the island and wanted to offer some informative advice to others before they book their trip. I can HONESTLY say that I did not like the Mana Kai or Kihei. At this price level you can stay at many other hotels that are much nicer. Please don't take this advice personally....

• Stayed March 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Riverside, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2006

I just had to respond to the review dated March 31. I have stayed at the Mana Kai on several occasions over the last seven years. My husband and I and our children ages 12 and 8 love the Mana Kai. I consider myself to be very finicky when it comes to cleanliness and I have NEVER had an issue with this at the ManaKai. The rooms and linens have always been very clean and the grounds are impeccable. No, its not a five star resort, but the accomodations are very comfortable, and the view and location are second to none. As far as the noise is concerned, there may be some slight noise from the hotel room area, which is over the parking area but from the condo , I guess you could consider the pounding surf noisy.....but its music to my ears!!! The boogie boarding, snorkling and beach walking are unsurpassed from this area. And yes, Kihei may be a bit bitnik, but thats the charm of it. Crime??? I'm sure it happens, it does everywhere, but we have never had an incident, in fact, when my husband lost his wallet at the Akina beach area on one of our trips, we found that someone had turned it in(undisturbed) to the Kihei police office. Unbelievable actually!!

Anyway, I'm sure we could all gripe about one thing or another when we go somewhere on vacation. I don't know what happend to the previous family to cause them to write such a scathing review, but to knock every aspect of the resort and town ........lends me to believe that they have an axe to grind. I respect reviews that are subjective to problems, not objective to every negative aspect that they can possibly think of.

Just wanted to give some perspective to help those that may be considering or already have a trip planned to Kihei and/or the Mana Kai. You won't be dissapointed! Aloha!

• Stayed July 2005
Truckee, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2006

I cannot imagine a worse hotel than the Mana Kai! The staff was rude, the hotel was sooo dirty, the elevator was broken, the rooms was run down, smelly and covered in stains! Nobody in their right mind would sleep on those sheets! The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. It was sooo noisy I could not sleep. I could not wait to leave this hotel! We had a group of 6 couples with us and we all had the same experience. I cannot believe that some people like this hotel! I find this so shocking! Kihei in general is run down, dirty, poor and filled with crime. Why would anyone come all the way to maui to stay in kihei is beyond me! Yuck, yuck, yuck! Do NOT stay at this hotel! If you are looking for a budget hotel on the beach and in a nice area than stay at one of the budget hotels in Napali. This area is lovely and affordable and close to shopping and activities. Do not stay in Kihei. It is like a big strip mall filled with dirty beaches and cheap hotels. Compared to the other hotels in this area the Mana Kai is nice--but that is not saying much!

• Stayed March 2004
Vancouver B.C
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

We have just returned from a great family holiday at the Mana Kai. We stayed in room 606 that we rented from the owners off the internet. Had the condo from March 8th till the 22nd 2006. The Mana Kai is an older building that is being up-dated. Since the units have different owners some have had upgrades, which ours did. The units are 2br, 1br, and a hotel room. We had a 2br condo which had a great view down the beach. Some people find the hotel-type room small so look into what you are booking. The pool is a nice size and we swam in it almost every day, but with the wonderful beach right there we spent most of our time swimming in the ocean. The snorkeling was nice, easy for first timers and we saw turtles and many fish. The lawn area is great for anyone who likes to lay in the sun. Friendly staff and the grounds are tidy and clean. Our kids, ages 17 and 11 enjoyed the waves for boogie boarding and the tide pools. It was so nice not to have to pack the car up and drive to a beach somewhere. The balconys on the condo units are large enough dining on, which we did all the time. We have been to Maui 4 times and this is the best we have seen yet. Yes it is an older building and renovations are happening, but we never were bothered by any noise. We loved the Mana Kai and understand why people return here year after year. We will be doing the same.

• Stayed March 2006
Yorkville, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

We just returned from 2 weeks in Maui. During that time we spent 2 separate 2 nights stays at the Mana Kai. One stay on the 7th floor and one on the 5th floor. We were a party of 5 adults and with the 2 bedroom unit were were comfortable. The views and beach are postcard material. Yes, the lobby is under construction, but I wasn't gonna spend any time there anyway. The staff was accommodating and the general store was convenient for a few "essentials" on the first night in town. If there was any disappointment it would be that the property and the units we stayed in are showing their age, but it seems that the renovation is in progress. The carpets were old, bathroom fixtures were worn, but I could overlook that for a good location and the best beach access around.

• Stayed March 2006
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2006

We returned to the Mana Kai because we really liked it on our first visit 7 years ago. We rented a one-bedroom condo with ocean view. We found it just as nice as before with its own balcony, comfortable beds, well-equipped kitchen, all basic amenities. We appreciated the good-sized pool and the easy access to a sandy beach as well as the proximity to Wailea and its nice oceanfront walkway. Each condo has a reserved parking space. The resort is in the midst of a major upgrade project (the lobby was totally under construction) which should make the place even nicer (though, most likely, a bit pricier). Also, we enjoyed the Five Palms restaurant on the premises with tasty food, good service and great atmosphere. Minor picks: only two beach towels supplied, batteries in DVD player remote were dead, kitchen lacked scissors and icecream scoop. Rooms are all non-smoking but smoking is allowed on the balconies so, if you are a non-smoker like us, be prepared for smoke smell from nearby balconies.

Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2006

Stayed in one of the condo "B" units on the second floor at the end of January 2006. The room I had was very nice - it had been remodelled in the last couple of years. The Mana Kai building, itself, is under rennovation. The "general store" (shop) on the first floor was empty, and construction crews were working in it during the day. There's a lot of construction NOISE from 8 to 5. The elevators and lobby were lined with plywood walls, but the resturant was operating as usual. But really who cares... I wasn't in the room that much during the day, and the beach there is great! (Nice sand with a few rocky spots here and there - see sunset photo.) You can run arond bare foot all day and night if you want. You can also walk to the Kihei boat ramp (where all the local scuba diving and snorkeling operations launch from) by crossing the Kihei Surfside Hotel's lawn (next door) and following a (50 yard) path along the shore. Be sure to check on the state of each floor/condo throughout 2006, and also check on parking spaces assigned to your condo - you may have to park in the public (gravel) lot on the east side of the building unless you rent an "A" or "A and B" unit.

Been to Mana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!