“Bland food, bad experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 143 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine
Calgary, Canada
“Bland food, bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Food was bland and expensive. Has a terrible experience. Went later at night, was loud, crowded and service wasn't very good, food was dry, bland and overpriced. Wanted to try this place after a local told me if was good food but I was very disappointed. After trying about 10 different restaurants on the islands this was by far the worst one.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Fm Mmmmmm yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Amazing food and service was first rate. Started with mango martini and hubby with Maui wowe with calamari appetizer. Not a bad start. Then on to tossed greens with basalmic and bleu cheese crumbles. Entrees were for me seared ahi and hubby macadamia honey crusted pork. Oh my! Finally amazing lilikoi cheese cake with kinda coffee. It doesn't get much better. Our waiter was spot on. Attentive but not intrusive. Can't recommend this place enough. If in Kihei put it on your special dinner night stop

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Prince Rupert, Canada
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

You can't go wrong with cafe o lei. Best value on the island and the food is good. The noise level is a little loud but the servers are engaging and fun. Nice to see the owners pitching in when its busy too!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
British Columbia
“Only one thing wrong...we didn't find this restaurant sooner!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Wow....I can't say enough about this restaurant! We were trying to find a place for 8 of us to eat without having to sell the farm to do it. We looked on Trip Advisor in the Kihei area, and realized that Cafe O'Lei was under our noses the whole time, or should I say, over our noses?
We went to S & Q Shave ice once a day, and we saw the VERY unassuming stairs up to this restaurant. When I say unassuming, I mean it! DON'T LET THE OUTSIDE OF THIS PLACE SCARE YOU OFF! The look of the sign outside would easily scare me off....lol. All sun bleached and peeling.
Not only is the food fantastic, the service was bar none....yes, even the water server was so attentive without "bugging us" and my water glass was never empty! Because my mom and dad were fitting the bill, its was all we drank. But the drinks looked very yummy too! I had the blackened mahi mahi and their special for dessert, the Banana Cheesecake in Philo Pastry....WOW!!!
Also, DO NOT over look the daily special....my brother-in-law ordered it and it was amazing...I think it was mahi mahi with curry butter and an amazing salad, huge portion for $7.95!!
So there you have it: try this restaurant....it was the best one we ate at, and we were there for 2 weeks! And the cheapest!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lillington, North Carolina
“Great consistent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We've been here several times over the past few years and we always go back, it's always great food and never disappoints. Call for appointment as it gets very busy . Ask for a table on either side of father roster aunt as some tables in the middle can be a bit close, noisy and people bumping into you. Still worth for the great food.

• Visited February 2013