“Amazing time riding down the volcano.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 30 Activities in Kahului
Type: Biking Trails, Volcanos, Sightseeing Tours
Rockville, Maryland, United States
“Amazing time riding down the volcano.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

The trip was most definitely worth waking up in the middle of the night. Seeing the sun rise over the volcano was amazing and the ride down after was fun and easy. We had Everett and Sam for the ride down and they were both awesome. They were very helpful and didn't make you feel bad if you wanted to get off the bike and ride in the van part way (I got a little nervous and ended up doing that). Worth the money and time!!!

Visited December 2011

Cleveland, Ohio
“Cruiser Phil’s cancelled our tour last minute – left us in a lurch!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I had spent quite some time planning our trip to Hawaii and everyone we knew who had been there said that the sunrise bike ride down Volcano Haleakala was a hands-down highlight. We only had one night in Maui and so we booked with Cruiser Phil’s based on the reviews we saw here … and we were very excited about this part of our trip. Unfortunately, about 13 hours before we were supposed to meet the tour bus, we got a voice message saying that the other parties in our tour had cancelled and that since we were the only two left they couldn’t do the tour. In the voice mail, they suggested we see if tours were still available through our cruise ship --- however, they were all sold out since we were looking into it so last minute. We thought we were in good shape having planned so far ahead with Cruiser Phil’s, but that obviously didn’t matter to them.

I have several issues with how this situation was handled by Cruiser Phil’s:

1. Is it really that they COULDN’T do the tour with just the two of us, or they WOULDN’T?

2. They require 24 hours cancellation notice from customers or they charge you full price. Where was our 24 hours of notice? Since we didn’t get that notice, where was our financial restitution?

3. When I called Cruiser Phil’s shortly after they left the voice message for us, all they said was “sorry, but you’ll get your money refunded.” Of course I would get my money refunded. That should never have even entered the conversation as a possible question! In addition, when I went into scramble-mode and asked for contacts to other companies that did the sunrise bike tours, they gave me a few names but said they could not give me phone numbers. Really? You’re going to cancel on me last minute and then not even spend 2 minutes of time to help me salvage this portion of my once-in-a-lifetime vacation? Nice!

If this was my tour company, when others cancelled, if I really COULDN’T take the remaining two customers on a tour, I would have given them as much notice as possible. In addition, I would have gotten on the phone to other companies myself in an effort to find a substitute. Then, I would have called the remaining customers with all of the information related to their options, apologized for the trouble and offered to pay the price difference if there was one. They did none of that. All they did was leave us in a lurch. Very disappointing!

Visited December 2011
Austin, TX
5 attraction reviews
“Cruise to another provider!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

Short synopsis:
Continental breakfast is a pitcher of water, a pot of coffee, vending machine cheese/cracker packs or vending machine cinnamon buns. Water bottles are available for purchase for $1.
Van service: van is at least ten years old; a/c vent covers are missing; "rated" for 13 people; actual capacity could be 13 if kids are included. Otherwise, it's 11-12 at best for adults.
Bikes-seats are cracked; drum brakes rub; no gears
During the ride-no water is provided. Bring your own.
Staff-excellent and friendly but can't compensate for doing nothing other than driving you to the top and providing a bike to get you down. The cost ($150) is not justified for what is provided.

Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Sunrise bike tour with Cruiser Phil's is a must-do in Maui!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

First, anyone that you talk to will tell you that waking up at 2AM to go see this sunrise is a must-do. They are absolutely right. The bike ride down is just icing on the cake.

After researching several different companies, I decided to book my husband and I on a bike ride with Cruiser Phil's for a couple of different reasons: (1) They seemed to be the safest company based on reviews I read. (2) The group size they took out was much more "intimate" than some of the other companies. There were only 6 or 8 people in total in our group.

I'm pretty comfortable on a bike, but I was a little worried about sharing the roadway with other vehicles coming down the mountain. Our guide thoroughly explained the "rules" that would keep us safe, and this was absolutely true. Don't do anything stupid and you'll have a good time and be safe.

Visited November 2011
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Great ride with a great guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011 via mobile

Rod drove and Tomas gave us a wonderful commentary about everything we were seeing. Tomas also briefed us on what to expect and how to ride down the mountain. Tomas lead the way and Rod drove behind us controlling traffic. What a great way to enjoy the mountain and it's scenery! We didn't have to worry about traffic, we just got to enjoy the coasting. I'd love to do it again!