“Delicious and flavorful” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Lancaster, California
“Delicious and flavorful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We normally don't stop at restaurants so close to airports but I am so thankful we did this time. Wow-wee Maui is probably within a mile of the airport. All four of us thought it was some of the most flavorful food we had ever eaten. The Mahi Mahi wrap was straight from heaven! My mouth is watering right now just remembering it.

It was so good we left Kapalua early so we could eat there before our flight! Excellent service both times, especially when flying out, when the waitress knew we were on a time constraint.

There is also a sushi bar that I heard was good.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Salinas, California
“Skip it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We arrived in Kahului starving from our 5 hour flight. We wanted something to relax and start our vacation mode. Food was a small portion, I ordered wrap. We were lucky enough to get there during happy hour and got $4 beer that was a plus. Service was slow. I would skip this restaurant on our next visit.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, South Carolina
“A bit of a Dive, but a great Dive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stopped here for lunch on our way to the airport. If you are looking for linen tablecloths, this is not for you. If you want great food served by interesting characters, you must stop here.

We started with the Oyster shooter. An amazing little appetizer cocktail composed of 7 ingredients. I've had my share of Oyster Shooters and this one may be the best on the planet.

We only had the sushi, but other guests were enjoying burgers, fish and chips, and the like. The sushi was awesome. Very fresh, flavorful, and well-prepared. The cost was very reasonable.

For local food and fun, this is a great stop.

Visited January 2014
Carmichael, California, United States
“Thoroughly enjoyed our lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We had a very enjoyable lunch with some friends at the Kava Bar. The decor was nothing too fancy which actually made it feel more like Maui to me. I always feel a bit out of place in fancy restaurants on Maui. I like places with a relaxed atmosphere where shorts and slippahs are the rule. The Kava bar is one of these.

First we tried the baked oysters. They were outstanding. I could eat a plate of these with a nice bowl of rice anytime. Be careful though, because they come right out of the oven and the shells are hot! We shared a plate of sashimi (tuna, yellowtail and salmon) and the fish was very good... fresh and firm. My entree was the miso butterfish. This was also very good. It came with a good-sized side salad too.

Prices were slightly on the higher side but not out of line for the quality and quantity of the food.

Staff was friendly and efficient and they added a liveliness to the room. There was a football game on and the staff got the customers going with occasional cheering. Overall our experience was very good. I would definitely go back and would recommend it as well.

Oh, by the way, we didn't try the kava.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
California
“Good Lunch Before Flying Home”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here before our flight because I wanted to try the Kava. The Kava was OK, something to try once. We ordered lunch, which was good. I order the Mahi sandwich and my wife ordered the fish and chips. Both fish dishes tasted very fresh. The french fries were awesome...just like we used to make at home. The restaurant itself needs to be cleaned and dressed up a bit...rather dingy now.

• Visited September 2013