“My favorite Maui activity” 5 of 5 stars

$129*
and up
Ranked #2 of 30 Activities in Kahului
More attraction details
Owner description: Swim beneath waterfalls, hike through rain forests & Haleakala Crater with a renowned naturalist. Kayak and snorkel on colorful reefs attended by Maui's most knowledgeable and personable guides. Awarded Hawaii EcoTourism Assoc. 2010 Operator of the Year, Hike Maui has received countless raves for guided hiking tours on the island of Maui since 1983. Hike with guides recognized for their knowledge of Hawaii's natural environment and culture, and who lead with aloha and safety consciousness. They'll immerse you in the beauty of nature, engage you throughout the tour and inspire you to expand your boundaries of fun. Hike Maui is the oldest hiking tour company on the island, and the only one with permits to conduct tours in the national park and on all state hiking trails as well as some private trails. Ask about hotel pickup; book online and save 10%.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Portland, OR
9 attraction reviews
“My favorite Maui activity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I requested this activity for an anniversary present from my wife after reading the overwhelmingly favorable reviews on this site. It's not inexpensive, but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. (Also, it's comparable to what you can expect to pay if the folks from The Pearl Factory get their hooks into you when your refusal skills are at a lull.)

We did the 6-hour East Maui Waterfalls & Rain Forest Hike. Kahi was everything I could have hoped for in a guide, as an affable native resident of 54 years to the island who gained his knowledge of the rainforest while knife hunting pigs with his cowboy grandfather. In addition to the flora and fauna (almost entirely flora, truth be told, but that's Maui for you,) he gave us information about the north coast, sugar cane, and the town of Paia that we wouldn't have easily come by elsewhere.

Our tour began when we were informed that Maui has nothing venomous, no snakes of any kind, no ticks or chiggers, and nothing like poison oak, ivy, or sumac. Basically, a few mosquitos were our biggest threat. Then I felt a tinge that there might not be enough threats for the price when I realized that our party included an 11 year old girl who texted during most of the ride up, our guide hadn't changed out of his flip flops, and plenty of other people were passing us on the trail, which was really a gravel road that cars could drive on.

However, once Kahi started explaining about all the plants and picking things for us to sample, all thoughts of buyer's remorse evaporated. In addition to passionfruit, I ate a fern that tasted like a walnut, a flower that tasted like a mushroom, and an ant that tasted like honey. I was also astonished to see an agave plant the size of a 2-car garage or an elephant ear plant with a leaf the size of an end table. I got the sense that the people who passed us wished that they had a guide to get all the information they were missing out on. There was literally something new and interesting every 20 feet. Also, I was quite unprepared for how amazingly good a rainforest smells, especially immediately following the rain. It was like every impressive floral arrangement I've ever encountered, only all encompassing, somehow without being overpowering.

The tour-provided water socks also made a big difference. Different from aqua-socks or reef shoes, the fibrous soles of these footwear provided excellent traction on slippery rocks, which can make a huge difference between a miserable outing and a fun one. Once again, I sensed envy from people on their own, and several people asked where they could get them (Kahi's answer: Wal-mart, $15.)

Swinging from the rope swing and splashing in the cool water was definitely the highlight of this excursion, and probably my whole trip. Also, having the option to jump off a high waterfall into a pool made up for walking that was a little on the easy side, and it was reassuring having a guide to tell me where the deepest parts of the pool were.

The tour concluded with a third (and highest) waterfall that Kahi said most people miss because it's right by the road and they think they have to hike a ways in to get to the waterfalls. We were returned to our hotel at 3:30, exactly 6 and a half hours after we were picked up. I'm 34 and consider myself pretty fit (I walk my dog where there are a lot of hills and I cycle regularly) and I felt like this was exactly the right level of exertion, especially being on vacation, and even more especially with a wife who isn't as into exertion as I am (and I suspect we're not the only couple in this situation.)

Austin TX
13 attraction reviews
“A Lot of Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Sure, we could have found the falls ourselves. But our guide, Kahi, was informative and fun. Maybe most importantly, he was the man with the goat shoes and bug spray. (You'll understand the importance when you go.) The three waterfalls / swimming holes were awesome.

One note: We did the half day hike that is rated Easy to Moderate. Certain parts of this hike would probably be difficult for someone with a physical limitation. The shorter hike may be a better choice.

Northern CA
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We took the full-day waterfall hike, and it was spectacular. Our guide was Stephanie, and we couldn't have asked for better--she was knowledgeable, informative, and patient with my 8-year-old's endless questions. The drive to and from the hike site at Kipahulu was beautiful and the hike itself was spectacular. The pools at Oheo were closed to swimming, so we went to a different waterfall pool and the caves at Wai'anapanapa instead. The water was cold, but how many people get to say they've gone for a swim in lava caves? I highly recommend Hike Maui and Stephanie in particular as a guide.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“10 out of 10”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife and I hiked with Kristin for the day on our recent trip in May. The day was a full 10 out of 10! We loved the drive to the O'heo Gulch and the hike up to the main waterfall through the bamboo forest. Kristin knew so much about the island, the natural environment, and the Hawaiian culture, it was like spending the day exploring with a college professor outside in the "classroom." I left wanting to see and do more on our trip to Maui, which we did with all the ideas and recommendations we got from her. I'm so glad we chose to hike with Hike Maui. It was one of my top day trip experiences ever!

Maryland
6 attraction reviews
“A great adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

We did the waterfall hike with Hike Maui - what a blast! We are a family of 5, with children ages 9, 11, and 14. Our guide, "Ula-Ula" (apparently it means "red" in Hawaiin, you'll understand if you meet him - not many natural redheads on the island) was outgoing, entertaining, and extremely knowledgable. There were 2 other young /adventuresome couples on the tour, and a middle aged couple who were perhaps not as used to exertion in the great outdoors. Somehow, Ula-Ula made it work for everyone. He filled the hike through the rainforest with a nice balance of entertainment and information about the Hawaiin rain forest. The packaged lunch was yummy, and supplemented with apple bananas and oranges from his own yard. The highlight of course was the waterfalls - I was both proud and terrified to see my children fearlessly head up for the jump and ropeswing from the surrounding cliffs into the falls. I am proud to say that I , an overworked middleaged mother of 3, promptly followed them and had the time of my life! Every tour taken in Hawaii is expensive when multiplied by a family of 5, but we have no regrets about this one - it was a great day!