“Stressful, but beautiful!” 4 of 5 stars

Long Island, NY
4 attraction reviews
“Stressful, but beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were told if we went off the map & did the alternate route to Hana the car rental would be void--but that didn't stop us. It was SCARY; 2 way roads around mountains that only 1 car could fit; cliffs, rough roads; but the views were spectacular! Also great to stop when you wanted; definitely fill up before you go & make sure you have everything you need (water, snacks, etc.). We had fun but it could cause stress. They even sell shirts, I survived the road to hana!

Visited October 2013

San Diego, California
3 attraction reviews
“Best Day of our Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I was really really nervous about us driving road to Hana on our own. I probably read way too many reviews. I kept imagining us tumbling down the side of a mountain. If you or your travel partner is a confident and competent driver it's definitely a doable drive. I personally, could not do it and I think you know what type of driver you are and whether or not this is doable for you. My husband had no problem with it. Yes, it's long. Yes, there are tons of curves but he took it slow and was watchful. He said it was not stressful for him at all but I know it would have been for me. Most of the fun is at the stops so he was okay with not being able to look around the whole time. For him it was a fun challenge and he wanted to do it. If the drive is not for you then book the tour and leave it to them. We saw one close call between a wide tour bus and a car where they came less than an inch from touching but other than that it all seemed pretty organized and not too reckless. I didn't see any area of road with a drop off to the mountain on one side that didn't have some kind of guard rail or barrier.

We did the gypsy app. You can just download it on your phone. I highly recommend it. We left early. This is a must because with only four stops we spent 10 hours there and without stops the drive back to our hotel in Lahaina was 3 hours and 15 minutes. It was a 13 hour day for us. If you do a tour you probably won't have time to enjoy Pipiwai Trail which was my absolute FAVORITE stop. If I had only seen that I would have been happy. We did Twin falls, Three bears, Waianapanapa Park including Black Sand Beach and Haleakala National Park including Pipiwai Trail, Waimoku Falls, and the Seven Sacred Pools.

There are places to stop for food but it saves time if you don't have to.

This was absolutely one of the best days of our vacation. Rugged trails, beautiful sights and swimming in waterfalls. If you love hiking and love a new adventure this is definitely the outing for you.

Houston, Texas, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Best Day Spent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We did the Road to Hana ourselves in our rented Jeep and it was awesome. Going ourselves allowed us to stop wherever we wanted and take our time as well. We had so much fun driving the twists and turns, stopping at local food stands and hopping in natural springs where you can swim up to a waterfall. Midway we spent a few hours and Homoa Beach where we boogie boarded and just enjoyed the peaceful sound of the ocean. Most people turn around and go back the same way they came but we decided to keep going. The back-end takes you through the farmland and right up next to the volcano. These roads are much scarier and many of them weren't paved so the back end isn't for the faint of heart I would say. Make sure you have at least 6-8 hours to do the traditional Road to Hana; if you take it all the way it took us 12 hours so start EARLY!!!

Belgrade, Montana
3 attraction reviews
“Pretty ride but not really worth the stress.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

We were told the road to Hana was a must do while on maui. The views were very pretty but not worth the stress of the road. A day at the beach would have been more relaxing.

Coram, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Tour - Much To See!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The Road to Hana with Temptation Tours & Eric as our guide was wonderful. Having Eric, who is a native of Hawaii, as our tour guide, was a bonus to this tour. The Road to Hana was a beautiful drive to & from Hana with lush photo-ops! My husband & I were grateful that we were picked up at our hotel at 7 am & returned by 5:30 pm. We were very happy that we did not have to drive ourselves along the windy road. There was too much beauty to see without having to stop. Traveling in an extremely comfortable van with another couple is definitely the way to go. We enjoyed many beautiful spots along the way & a picnic by the beach. It did rain often but had glorious pictures of the day. We had fantastic banana bread & crushed ice cream - yummy! I did not realize that we had to go slow around the island as the road was extremely narrow. The only thing I would have done differently is to take the drive one-way & helicopter ride back. Wonderful tour!

Visited November 2013