“Jaw dropping experience.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hana
North Tonawanda, New York, United States
“Jaw dropping experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We were floored when we entered our room. It is modern, well equipped tastefully decorated for the island, and has a spectacular view. We were sad we didn't plan a longer stay. Very quiet, awesome sky at night. So dark there you feel like your in the Milky Way.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Redmond, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had been to Hana before but always a day trip. This year we decided to start our Maui vacation with a trip to Hana and a three night stay at the Hana Kai. The location is great and easily walkable to the handful of sites in town proper. The unit was well equiped and clean. No services at the hotel as it was more of a condo type setup. Nice black beach at the edge of the property. Nice lawn and a few chairs for relaxing in the sun. The balcony was very nice and the sounds of the waves, especially in the evening, was very relaxing. Be sure to stop for groceries in Kahului since there are limited options in Hana. Then relax and spend time exploring what most try to do in a day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I go to Hana a couple times a semester to see student teachers. I tried several places before trying the Hana Kai but now it is always my first choice. I always stay in 106 as it is the cheapest. It is always clean, in good repair and insect free. I really appreciate having a good kitchen so I can bring food to prepare. Keep in mind that you need to get reservations early because they usually fill up.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stopped by as part of our honeymoon in Maui / Oahu in September of 2011. We wanted take our time along the Road to Hana, as the guides we read mentioned a lot of "explorable" stops along the way. And the thought of driving that road at nighttime was not going to happen. =)

Again, we looked into this location based upon the good ratings on TripAdvisor and seemed the best value for money.

Hana is a sleepy town with two convenience stores and a few restaurants. But that sleepy nature just adds to the peaceful setting that this hotel was able to provide for us.

The unit that we stayed in was #204 Waiohinu, an Ocean View One-Bedroom Condominium.

We were greeted at the help desk and were politely attended to, with room keys and a visitor package (information on the hotel and policies).

The room was spacious with a full size living room and full kitchen for our use. Pots and pans were stored away, so we felt comfortable in this homely setting. The room was double-height in the living room area with the balcony and the view of the black sand beach in front.

The bedroom was fitted with some dresser space, but not enough floor space to bring your suitcases in. Those were left in the hallway storage area, where extra blankets and pillows could be found.

This stop was meant to be our base for travels deeper along to visit the Seven Sacred Pools and O'heo Gulch. As our travel distance was much shorter, we were given the freedom to spend more time at those destinations.

And to be able to return shortly from a full day of exploring to a well-furnished, relaxing room with a black sand beach view? Not much you can complain about that.

It was a pleasure to stay there and is somewhere we would go back to if we were ever in the area again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: get a full ocean-view room, not a partial. It is worth it to have that view when you wake up each mo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hana Kai and had the most wonderful time! We are planning on going back and would refer this charming resort to anyone!
The condo we stayed in for 3 nights , #107, was extremely clean(I used to work in housekeeping), the sheets and towels smelled very fresh yet natural, the kingsize bed was super comfy and we slept sooo good every night. The sound of the ocean was soothing and the ocean view from the lanai was awesome! All the the staff was so very friendly and helpful, the grounds were impeccable and we explored the black sand beach with amazing movie set like settings and views and also Hana town and restaurants without getting in the car. What an exotic travel destination...
Thank God for Hana Kai Maui!

Room Tip: #107 was great and a little less than the other units, we will book it again!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leawood, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Hana Kai overnight after the drive on the Road to Hana. We were in room 105-studio with an ocean view. We were pleased with how well equipped and decorated these units are. The view over Hana Bay is spectacular. The kitchen had everything we needed and the bed was really comfortable with nice linens. This is a great place to stay in Hana. We expected a rustic cabin and found this place totally up-to-date with all the good stuff. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

To begin, the setting at the Hana Kai Maui is wonderful and our party had a great time while there. Although a bit dated, the hotel has many amenities and a courteous staff. It's what was discovered after we left that became an issue.
On Oct 24, 2012 my wife and I stayed one night in room 107 and had friends next door in room 106. On the evening of the 25th after leaving Hana, the other couple noticed bug bites as shown in the attached photos.
After leaving Hana, we stayed on Maui for another couple of weeks in Kihei and I decided to wait to report the bug bite incident to the hotel until after we arrived back in Seattle. Once home, I contacted the hotel and spoke with the manager, a Susie Pu. I spoke with Susie about our issue at the hotel and, although sincere in here approach, she did nothing to help rectify my issue with the bed bugs.
After contacting her, she went to room 106 and apparently took photos of the bed, as if I would be able to see bed bugs from a text photo sent to my cell phone. She went on to say that Hawaii doesn't have a bed bug problem as "bed bugs are mostly on the mainland". She further stated that she did a lot of web research on bed bugs after I brought this to her attention and the hotel simply does not have a problem. I then told her I did my own research on the issue and found at least 4 exterminators in the Hana area that offer bed bug extermination and she then rephrased her previous statement and said that the bed bug issues on Maui are mainly in Kihei, which coincidentally just happened to be where our party spent the entire trip minus the one night in Hana. Ms. Pu went on to suggest that the bed bugs must have come from our accommodations in Kihei, which is highly unlikely as our party stayed in the same units before, as well as after, our overnight in Hana and had no previous or future issues.
I am convinced the bed bugs came from the Hana Kai Maui hotel and I feel travelers should be aware of our encounter and should be able to make an informed decision when staying in the Hana area. Ms. Pu, although extremely professional, did absolutley nothing to rectify the problem we encountered.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hanakaisusie, Manager at Hana Kai Maui, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Aloha future potential guests of Hana Kai Maui. I was contacted by this guest 12 days after their stay with this problem. He stated that his friends, who stayed in #106, went to a doctor and were told that they had bed bug bites. Naturally I was extremely concerned and immediately inspected the bed and the entire unit. I knew exactly what to look for because I did my research years ago when bed bugs were first reported to be making a comeback (not after his call as he stated). The entire mattress was pristine; not a single mark. All linens removed, I took closeup pictures of the mattress, box springs and head board, so that he could see the condition of the bed. We also inspected the upholstery and curtains. I texted the photos, and the following day, when he stated that he did not get the text message, emailed the same photos in full size. I also sent the guest links to several websites with information and images of the bugs (which by the way are VERY visible) to further assure him that the bites (which can take up to 14 days to emerge) COULD NOT have come from the bed at Hana Kai. Instead, he became very irate and gave me the ultimatum of a full refund or a negative review. If we had this problem, I would have promptly refunded the guest, paid the doctor bill and burned the mattress, but that simply is not the case. What we found instead was a very clean, bug-free mattress in a newly renovated unit (granite countertops, glass shower, expanded windows, tile floor) on a gorgeous oceanfront property.
It has now been 3 weeks since this their stay and not a single guest has come forward with a similar complaint.

Been to Hana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!