Message from TripAdvisor:

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4865 Uakea Rd, Hana, Maui, HI 96713   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minnesota
“Great stay at Hana Kai Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

What a great place! We loved everything about the Hana Kai Maui!
We had an easy check in and a lovely room (we booked an Ocean View Studio). Great lanai and the view was amazing! The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. Our room was spacious with a great kitchen area. The sound of the waves on the beach lulled us to sleep. My boyfriend became ill while we were in Hana. The manager was very helpful in allowing us a little later check out to see if he would be well enough to travel. He also was willing to allow us to stay another night if he was not. Luckily, we were able to check out and head to our next destination but I am so grateful that we had options!

I highly recommend the Hana Kai Maui!!

• Liked — location, price, beautiful room and grounds
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Scottsdale,AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

The Hana-Kai is a great place to stay.... on the Hana bay with beautiful views from your balcony... we saw amazing sunrises while sipping our coffees...The staff is friendly, we stayed in 202...the room was very clean. They do not have a restaurant onsite but we ate at the Hana-Maui and Hana Ranch. The Hana-Maui has a great buffet with hula-music on fridays for $50 per person ! awesome!! The Hana Kai is where I will stay the next time we are in Hana !

• Stayed December 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GreatLakes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

Hana Kai Maui Resort

My husband and I stayed one night at the Hana Kai last April. Our trip to Hana was a side trip on our week long visit in Maui. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hana Kai as did many others who previously signed the guest diary of room #2.

Upon opening the door and entering the room we were greeted by a breath-taking view of the deep blue sky and blue Pacific waves crashing against the black sand. The glass door wall was open and you could hear the surf. Wonderful! The room was spotless and fresh. We sat on the lanai and watched the waves and surfers. There is no TV nor is one needed. Very relaxing.

We slept on a Murphy bed which we found to be quite comfortable. At night we kept the door wall open and slept with a fresh sea breeze and the sound of the surf. Kitchenette was clean and was nicely furnished with basic cooking essentials.

Hana Kai is a great place to experience Hawaii without the commercialism and tourism. Hana Kai is more than lodging. With its attractive setting and close proximity to the ocean, it is an experience. Would definitely stay here again, next time longer.

Side note is we found the drive beyond Hana far more scenic than drive to Hana.

Stayed April 2007
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

We stayed at the Hana Kai Motel 2nd on our Honeymoon stay in Maui. We had chosen this hotel as it was much cheaper than the other option of staying at the Hotel Hana in this area.
We wanted to stay in Hana after doing the Drive To Hana, as after reading many reviews of people so tired by the end of their day driving to Hana it ruined the experience, we thought it would be nice to be able to crash in Hana and then wake up the next day and finish the other attractions in the area.
Hana has a clearly different feel/style than the other side of the island (ie.Lahaina). Hana is a small village like area, with only 2 general stores for buying food/groceries/etc. There are a few places to eat out, but the best restaurant we found was at the Hana Hotel (very close to hana kai hotel but very expensive).

The views and experience of staying at the Hana Kai outweighed the negatives , although, would be remiss if did not mention that there certainly are some negatives for Hana Kai.
For starters, be prepared for a very rustic feel. Although it does have a full kitchen/bath , no appliances are high end. The microwave did'nt work, the shower hardly worked, no a/c, no tv,no radio. Highly recommend stopping at the general store and buying or bringing your own playing cards/board games. Maybe bring your own ipod/radio too cuz there is no music/tv to play at all. No iron / ironing board, room service,fresh towels.

Seems like a lot of negatives but this stay was pretty fun. Hana is a great place - but you can't expect much from the local lodgings. Even the high priced Hotel Hana has no tv or a/c. It's an experience - recommend staying for at least a day - close to Oheo Gulch, Waipanapa state park, Lava Tube. All lot of fun.

• Liked — Location in Hana
  • Disliked — The comfort / quality of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buffalo, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

Ok, I read all the books; Maui Revealed, Frommers, Maui Trailblazer, and I read ALL the reviews on Tripadvisor. So when I was booking my trip, I mentioned this place to my travel agent and she arranged for my wife and I to stay here on the last two days of our honeymoon. All the books say "You have to Stay in Hana... you have to Soak it in"; I say don't bother. The road to Hana was nice, glad we did it, but I wish I had just turned around and went back to Kaanapali. We rolled up to the Hana Maui Kai and IT IS as beautiful as everyone said it is. We splurged for the oceanfront deluxe and it was a great view, huge condo, two balconies, two bathrooms, just as I has imagined. The sun coming up as you lay in bed was amazing. The bad however outwieghed the good. There is hardly anything to do in Hana. And this is coming from someone who enjoys just being in nature. There is ONE good restaurant, at the Hana Hotel. Food was good, but as I ate dinner, I wished I was in Kaanapali. The second night I went to the "General Store" which is a general dump, and got a Digiorno pizza which was pretty much the best thing they could offer. I was in Hawaii, on my honeymoon, and the best food in town was a frozen pizza. After I made my pizza, I cleaned up. I cleaned everything, as there are warnings that if you don't there will be critters. Oh and there were (and I don't mean bugs), I don't even want to get into detail about what I saw in my room that night. Lets just say the large droppings on the floor the next morning told the story. I sealed up the bedroom, got in bed and didn't even tell my wife as she would have made us leave right then and there. The next morning when I went to check out, I told the office what I saw and they said "sorry, we'll check it out"... sorry? It breaks my heart to write this review, the location was beautiful and I suppose there are those people that want to experience "old Hawaii". But this was an awful experience and I wished I would have stayed at the lush resort in Kaanapali for the same price instead. I loved Maui and will go back, but never to this place and never to Hana.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

Hana Kai was awesome! The staff was so welcoming and helpful when we arrived, after our long drive from Kaanapali! The room we orignally booked had some issues, so instead of cramming our party of 5 into a small room, they actually give us two different rooms....so we had plenty of space! The no phone, no tv, no air conditioning concept was a bit of a shocker at first - but trust me it was so appreciated the longer we stayed there. The breeze from the ocean was amazing and the seclusion of the resort on the beach is so unique and well worth the drive on "The Road to Hana"! The rooms were well kept and the resort is very peaceful. The resort is defintely a kid-free zone - so if you need entertainment for your kids, you may find more at another resort. If you are looking for a beautifully relaxing place to put your feet up and enjoy a cocktail after your day long drive....this is the ultimate place to do it.

Stayed July 2007
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

My husband and I stayed one night at the Hana Kai Maui on July 15. We weren't sure what to expect upon our arrival in Hana, but were so happy to stay here! There are limited accommodations in Hana and we didn't want to stay at the main hotel, which was costly. We found this place online and the Trip Advisor reviews were helpful & accurate.

There are only 18 units between the two buildings. Our studio was in the back building, but we could still see the ocean from our first floor balcony. Our room contained a bed, table and chairs, a small, full kitchen, and a bathroom. No phones or tv, but you won't miss them. (there is a courtesy phone near the BBQ/picnic area) We did have a ceiling fan in our room. At night, we left the balcony doors open and listened to the waves. We found the staff very friendly, although we only interacted with them when we checked in/out. There was a large family split up between a number of rooms while we were there, but the staff told us at check in they informed the family of the "quiet hours" and everything was fine.

The grounds are beautiful with koi ponds and direct access to the black rock beach. I don't think you can swim here, but its absolutely beautiful and there are beaches a short drive away with swimming, I think. Hana is definitely a sleepy town with one general store where you can buy groceries to cook in your unit. Since we only stayed one night, we opted for dinner at the only restaurant, located at Hotel Hana Maui. We had a fabulous dinner sitting outside of the bar, opting not to eat in the formal dining room (you can get the same menu in the bar). I recommend their lemonade!

We would definitely recommend the Hana Kai Maui for a peaceful, relaxing stay in Hana.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — We had to leave
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!