“Organic, Local, Paradise Lost - a Luxurious Eco-Resort Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Travaasa Hotel Hana

You added Travaasa Hotel Hana to your Saves list
Travaasa Hotel Hana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5031 Hana Hwy, PO Box 9, Hana, Maui, HI 96713 (Formerly Hotel Hana Maui)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Venice, California
“Organic, Local, Paradise Lost - a Luxurious Eco-Resort Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I do not typically write reviews of my vacation accommodations and trips but this one has stayed with me for so long that I am compelled to write about, although I am hesitant to publicize this magical place...

Hidden away on the "other side" of Maui, the town of Hana and it's Resort are lost in a magical time and place. The Resort is beautifully manicured, quietly majestic, and subtly surrounded by the town's markets and mystical beaches. The cottages are unbelievable! Huge open rafter ceilings, amazing ocean views through barn door style giant sliding walls onto the decks and jacuzzi. Giant open bathrooms. Yet, everything is designed with an eye for privacy.

The food is very special. All grown on the surrounding small scale organic farms by families and cooperatives. Beef is from the ranch on the other side of the mountain. Fresh fish, amazing sushi. The hotel restaurant had the best salad bar that my wife or I had ever experienced.

Hana and it's surrounding beaches and National Park are stunning. Waterfalls and idyllic pools abound! The Road to Hana is well worth the drive. The photo opportunities are endless.

Weddings, honeymoons, and anniversaries...any time you want to capture the magic of the moment or celebration, this is the place. The Resort's resident wedding and events planner is a pro and showed us countless spectacular spots for ceremonies from intimate to grand. The photographer, who has a studio on site, is a local who knows all the special hidden spots for once in a lifetime photo opportunities.

The facilities are all top notch. Spa facilities and general amenities throughout are on a standard comparable to luxury spas and resorts in Los Angeles, for example. But, all is tasteful and subdued. No flash or gaudy displays, it would not harmonize with the natural beauty.

The weather is paradise. The warmth and humidity are gently bathed in constant cooling breezes. Cleansing rains punctuate the days. Neither air conditioning nor heating are needed, but if you're habituated to an air conditioned environment and will be disappointed without it, then do not visit Hana.

The lack of in-room television and wifi is a true blessing. The rolling sounds of the ocean and breezes are comforting enough. Time with loved ones is made more special. I was hesitant to be disconnected but it was fine, better than fine, really good. I came back with so much focus that I had two months of solid productivity that has paid off so that now I have time to write this and take time off again this week.

Finally, the Hana-Maui resort, it's town, and the staff are truly authentic, old world Hawaii. Really the antithesis of Waikiki. The weekend dinner performances are true Hawaiian folk performances, with three generations teaching, performing, learning, and continuing the traditions. Often, time feels as if it has shifted back twenty, fifty, a hundred, or a thousand years.

My wife and I have traveled all over the world over the past twenty years and this place is truly special. If you value authentic experiences, supporting local economies and families, stunning natural beauty, and subdued luxury, this is the place. We will definitely be returning to Hana and the Hana-Maui Resort.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Suisun City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

If you're going to splurge and want a taste of old Hawaii, this is the place for you! The grounds are spread out, the Sea Ranch Cottages are private and secluded (relatively speaking - and the cottages are the only way to go...) The ocean is in the distance, unless you really splurge for oceanfront, but it doesn't matter... It's so peaceful and calming and relaxing... Hamoa Beach - a short 5 minute drive away - is THE BEST BEACH for playing in the ways and soaking up the rays anywhere on Maui... No matter how hectic or quick our visit to Maui is, we always stay at least two or three nights at the Hotel Hana Maui...

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

15 years had passed since my last visit to the Hotel Hana-Maui. To my pleasant surprise, not much has changed. The staff is still warm, inviting and helpful. The peace and solitute are still as they were. The Sea Ranch cottages are still a wonderful escape from the world. From the lanais of the sea ranch cottages, you still feel like you have your own private slice of unspoilt paradise. The views from the dining room looking out over Hana Bay are still spectacular. There is still a wonderful serenity to Hana both before the day-trippers arrive and after they leave.

The food is tasty, but not spectacular. It''s a bit pricey, but not exhorbitantly so. There's not much to do, but that's why I like it. If you want to walk, hike, relax on Hamoa Beach, read, daydream, pursue your artistic endeavors or simply spend time with a special person, it's great. If you need to be amused, DO NOT go there.

The only reasons that I'm not giving the property 5 stars are:
1. The maintenance isn't flawless (the fitness center is sorely in need of an update/remodel, and the lower pool area doesn't appear to have had the landscaping touched in months--there are weeds everywhere around the pool),
2. The service isn't as seamless as it should be or as I remember (e.g., housekeeping and room service don't seem to talk to one another). Case in point: I asked a passing housekeeper for a few items for the room, including shampoo and ice. When we returned several hours later, there was plenty of shampoo, but no ice. Later, I learned that "room service" handles ice, not housekeeping. At a 5 Star hotel, the guest should not be bothered with such "internal disconnects".
3. The menu, while nice, is not updated too frequently. For a longer stay (the kind you really need to truly relax), the menu could get a bit old.

Still, the HHM lives up to its reputation. It offers wonderful solace and beauty and a welcoming home at the end of the Highway!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

The Hana Maui is the most frustrating hotel that I've ever stayed at. By that I mean it could be so much better than it is. There is the potential for it to be a world class resort but, unfortunately, there are just too many flaws with it right now.

By way of background, I stayed here with my wife for one week as part of our honeymoon. I would only recommend this place to honeymooners or other loved up couples as this really is supposed to be a romantic retreat. There were a few guys there with 'friends' who must have felt very uncomfortable.

Firstly, the good bits. The location is absolutely fantastic. Isolated on the east side of Maui and hours away from any large towns, the hotel is set in impeccably maintained gardens which back onto the sea shore (not a sandy beach though). (When I say isolated it's only 30-40 miles at the end of the road to Hana, but it takes about 2 hours to drive. Do not think about driving along the road to Hana unless you are a reasonably competent driver!)

The hotel facilities are very good - 2 tennis courts and a pitch and putt (free to use and equipment provided), 2 swimming pools (one of which is excellent), a fitness centre, free desktop internet access, laundry facilities and the spa of course. All very nice.

We had a very warm welcome when we arrived and were given a free upgrade to an ocean cottage (which would otherwise have been $100 extra per night). The cottage was large with a free minibar (in theory re-filled everyday with water and soft drinks - see below), very comfy bed, sofa and welcome basket of cake and fruit. There was an ample sized bathroom with power shower. Other reviewers seem to have encountered all kinds of nasty bugs - the only problem we had was with mosquitoes (bring insect repellant!). We also noticed a lot of geckos running around but that's it.

Sadly we had a long list of gripes with the Hana Maui which tarnished our stay a little:

- The number one problem with the hotel is the level of service, which is amongst the worst I have ever encountered. Should the hotel review its recruitment and/or training policies then it would improve dramatically. The waitresses at the main restaurant all seem to be middle aged local women who really really don't want to be there. One of them in particular would shout at you when taking your order. It was almost comical. You really have to see it to believe it. Whether you then got what you ordered would be 50-50 at best. Or they may choose to completely ignore you. One morning my wife actually got up and walked into the kitchen to check if anyone was still serving us.

- On a similar theme, housekeeping was equally abysmal. Our mini bar was supposed to be re-filled each day but it was hit and miss whether the maid would bother to do so. Missing out on cans of coke is one thing but when you plan ahead that you're going to have 4 bottles of water in there each day and you end up with none, it can be a bit annoying! We also left a note asking for English Breakfast tea to be added to the tea selection in the room. The maid wrote back that housekeeping didn't have any (which we thought odd given that we had it in the restaurant no problem). We called the concierge and she agreed this was nonsense. The next day about a dozen bags of English Breakfast tea mysteriously appeared in our room. Also, we had a serious problem with getting clean towels. Each day we would be given only 4 towels and despite complaining each day to concierge that we needed more, we only ever got 4. Until one day when we came back and found we had been given no towels at all! Finally, as I've mentioned above, there is an issue with mosquitoes in the area. Despite this, our maid would leave our porch doors (including the netting to prevent bugs coming in) wide open, which is also a bit of a security concern.

- The Hana Maui cannot be a world class, or even a 5*, hotel until it provides a greater number of restaurants serving a wider variety of food. There is only one restaurant, which serves dishes that are supposed to be a fusion of cuisines and made from local ingredients. This is fine and the food is generally very nice, but day after day it gets a bit tiresome. The menu is supposed to change daily but it doesn't, or at least it didn't while we were there. At least one other restaurant serving say Japanese, oriental, Italian or French or anything else would be welcome! The only alternatives are the local Hana Ranch restaurant (which is essentially a karaoke bar serving burgers) and the hotel bar (which is essentially a wine bar serving expensive burgers).

- The cost of food and drink is outrageous. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the final bill at check out. I'm so glad that breakfast was included in my package because it would otherwise have cost us about $60 per day!

- Everything closes way too early. The pool bar closes at about 5 and the restaurant stops serving at 9. Even the hotel bar stops taking orders at around 9.30! Totally bizarre.

- 90 degree heat everyday, fairly high humidity, expensive hotel - no air conditioning ... anywhere ... Why??

After a morning of typically abysmal service at breakfast followed by the no towels incident we'd had enough and asked to see the manager. To be fair, he came to our cottage straightaway and was very apologetic. He offered us a free meal that evening and a voucher for 2 nights' free should we ever come back. This was the best bit of service we experienced there.

Despite the flaws, the Hana Maui can be easily fixed and I'd be tempted to go back in a few years when hopefully they might have sorted themselves out. As I say, it could be a fantastic hotel.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

After 8 nights at family friendly hotels, our final two nights of our Hawaiian honeymoon were well spent at the Hotel Hana-Maui. THIS is what I imagined our honeymoon to be in Hawaii. We were warmly welcomed and offered fresh fruit juice, a kukui nut lei, and a cold towel. After we were checked in, we were escorted via golf cart to our private sea ranch cottage. The grounds are beautiful, serene, and uniquely Hana. Even the drive on the golf cart was peaceful -- quite a change from the previous 8 nights at family-infested Hyatts.

Admittedly, I was a little "nervous" when we walked into our cottage and noticed that there was no TV, no alarm clocks, and no air conditioning, but I was quickly at ease after a dip in our private patio's hot tub. Our room was stocked with complimentary water, soda, and champagne, as well as banana bread, crackers, jam, fruits, and sweets. The bathroom was magnificent. Inviting tub and wonderfully comfortable stand-up shower with a heavenly shower head.

Dinner at Hotel Hana was very good the first night. We ate at the hotel's main dining room and were impressed with the service and quality of food throughout the night. We also enjoyed fresh fruit and rum beverages at the adjacent bar before dinner.

We spent most of our second day at the Hamoa Beach and then the hotel pool, then back to our cottage for the hot tub and relaxation. Later in the afternoon we played the hotel's 3-hole practice golf course a few times. The hotel is great because they give you balls, tees, and clubs for free. They also gave us snorkel gear for free. No hidden surcharges, which I greatly appreciate in a hotel.

Dinner the second night wasn't so great. We ventured off the main hotel grounds to the Hana Ranch restaurant. Very limited menu and painfully slow service. My steak arrived undercooked and the white rice was cold. I woke up the next morning with horrendous stomach ache. I also didn't particularly enjoy the feral cats moaning next to the table throughout dinner.

Back at the hotel... we were back in bliss.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed overnight during our drive to Hana. The property was HUGE (60 acres) and beautifully manicured. We stayed in an ocean front suite (room 412) and it was great. Lots of spacious green grass, beautiful ocean, stunning infinity pool and one of the best views from a jacuzzi in all my travels.

We ate on the property (not many options in Hana) because we didn't want to leave and come back. We didn't eat at the "fine dining" restaurant (we felt under dressed) but we did eat in the lounge. There was live entertainment from 6-8:30pm. The food was coming from the fine dining kitchen and it was about 25% less on the price. I had the kalua bbq pork sliders and fries. The fries were seasoned with a seaweed/salt/spice (I specially requested the upgrade on the fries) and they were amazing! My fiancé had a cheeseburger and it was really good (huge).

We self parked our cars across the street from the lobby upon check in, only to find out our suite was on the other side of the street behind the lobby. Later that night we moved our car to a closer lot. The hotel has a golf cart provided to take guest anywhere on the property. If you prefer to go into town to eat, the bell staff will take your party to and from the location. Upon check in they automatically give you a "tour" of the property on the way to your room and ice for your room in the golf cart. It's then you realize how huge the property really is. We called for the cart to go to dinner but ended up driving back to the second lot. Be prepared to tip if you use the golf cart service (especially if you are leaving the property). We gave $5 for the "check in tour and ice" and $3 for the ride to dinner. The hotel gives you a "mahalo card" to put money on at the end of your stay for their "group tips". The "group tips" exclude the Concierge and food and beverage.

The property provides transportation, chairs, towels and bathroom facilities for guest at Hamoa Beach (voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the world). The hotel also offers free morning yoga classes and a recreation room with games and a TV.

If money is not an issue, I highly recommend staying here overnight and enjoying Hana and the property.

Pros: Room
Pool and Jacuzzi
Quiet & extremely private
Food on property was great
Waking up to horses by the ocean (next to the property)

Cons: No air conditioning in ANY of the rooms (but you really don't need it at night)
Not very well lit if you are walking back to your suite from the lobby at night
No TV or clocks in the suites

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

This hotel is off the beaten track and worth it for the peace, beauty and quiet. If you want to be well taken care of and away from it all, this is the place. There are no phones, no TVs and no clocks. What it has are comfortable rooms, beautiful grounds, pools, tennis courts, a beach, spa and really attentive staff. All sports gear is included. Free daily yoga classes.
We stayed three nights in the Sea Cottages with the Romance package. The cottages are plantation style, with wood floors and a huge lanai overlooking the water. Rooms are large and well appointed. There was a welcome fruit basket and banana bread. Locally grown and roasted coffee provided in the rooms daily. There is no air conditioning - but no need for it. The sea breeze comes in and the rooms have shutters and ceiling fans, so you are able to stay very comfortable.
The hotel restaurant is very good, but expensive. I think it would get old after more then three nights, but for our stay it was just right. Our package included breakfast and I recommend you get a package that does.

This is not the place for everyone - if you need nightlife and constant stimulation, you won't be happy. But if you are looking for low key luxury and pampering in the old Hawaii style, you will love it here.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Travaasa Hotel Hana? Share your experiences!