“A magical place for an experience like no other.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Travaasa Hotel Hana

Save Saved
You added Travaasa Hotel Hana to your Saves list
Travaasa Hotel Hana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5031 Hana Hwy, PO Box 9, Hana, Maui, HI 96713 (Formerly Hotel Hana Maui)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Hana
Los Angeles, California, United States
“A magical place for an experience like no other.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Travaasa Hana is a magical place. We have been here twice, once before it was owned by Travassa and once since. We will be back for sure.

This resort is unlike anything you have ever experienced. The grounds are beautiful and the location is wonderful. It is the most peaceful place I have ever been to. The hotel is broken up into two areas, the regular rooms and the Sea Ranch Cottages. We have stayed in both.

The regular rooms are closer to the main areas of the resort, the dining ares, the spa etc. The Sea Ranch Cottages are on the other side of the resort.

Part of what makes this resort so special is that is a lot more old Hawaii style than most. It is not all brand new and modern, it is very authentic Hawaiian and a little bit rustic. It is beautifully charming. The regular rooms are large and have a dining area and kitchenette. Ours had a king bed. There is no air conditioning in any of the rooms here. You don't need it, the resort is right on the ocean so you get great trade winds and all the windows can be left open in your room. There are shutters for privacy even with everything open and their are ceiling fans. The rooms have very large bathrooms as well, separate tub and shower, toilet closet and large vanity. Each room has a kitchenette where they provide a small frige, coffee maker, tea pot, coffee beans and a grinder. All kinds of glass where as well. We brought some goodies for the room and our own alcohol as well so we could just hang in the room and have nice time.

On our most recent visit we stayed in the Sea Ranch cottages with a private jaccuzzi. This is really the way to go, it is only a tiny bit more expensive, but so worth it. You get a cottage with a large deck and outdoor jacuzzi. We had one they call an ocean view, vs the ocean front. Ours was about 100 yards from the ocean with dead on views. The Sea Ranch area is great, its like a little community of cottages spread out, very quiet and private. There are two pools, one near the rooms and the other near the cottages, the yoga classes are also done near the cottages. The cottage has a large living area, sleeping are, dining area and kitchenette. We hung out on the deck most of our stay, it was so wonderful.

What strikes you most about Travaasa Hana is that you feel as if you are the only guest most of the time. When we were here the hotel was more than half booked, but we rarely saw another guest. Even at the pool, there was one person, when you walk around you don't see anyone, it is wonderful. The staff said it is always like this even when fully booked. Many people who come here, go hiking, hangs out on their decks etc, so you rarely see anyone. It really amazing how private and quiet it is here.

I read the other reviews before going and was shocked to hear what people have said. I think that people must come here with expectations of a fancy modern resort or something. That is easily found all over Maui, but coming to Hana is a very different type of vacation for sure. Hana is a sleepy little town of about 1200 people. There are two, maybe three places to eat dinner in the whole town, two are owned by the hotel, and all shut their doors by 8:30pm. You have more options for lunch, check out yelp. com for tips on outside eating, our favorite place was the little Thai place down the block. Everything is within walking distance or you can get bikes from the hotel. This is a place to relax, unwind and literally do nothing, or just be with nature.

Our stay here was wonderful, the room was very clean, no issues with bugs as reported by other reviewers, food was great in main dining room at the hotel as well. Keep in mind that you are in the middle of a jungle rain forest, this is a place where there are all kinds of creatures in the outdoors so if one happens to get into your room its kind of expected.

The hotel staff is great, and everything is tended to immediately. Since the cottages are a little farther from the main area you can call for ice or anything and they come right to your door with what you want. The staff runs around by golf cart and they will transport you as well if you wish. Its about a 5-7 minute leisurely walk to the front desk and dining area. You cal also walk to the Hana Ranch Market and restaurant in the same amount of time. If you do stay at the Sea Ranch Cottages, make sure to park in the lower lot, its a lot closer to the room.

The resort has all kinds of fun things to do, classes and activities, its really meant as an all inclusive type of stay. There have pools, tennis, a mini golf course, yoga and other workout classes, hiking excursions, horseback riding and the list goes on. There is always something to do if you want it.

There is also a full service spa. They offer a pretty great selection of services from facials, body treatments and massages. They have an aqua treatment that sounds interesting where you are pulled and pushed in a warm bath of water, I was not able to get this one, but would have like to try it.

They have a small waiting area just off the locker room with with cold water, not your usual quiet room, you would only want to hang here for a few minutes, nothing to read or do. Locker room has full size locker with fluffy robes and spa slippers. There is a cold plunge pool in the private patio of the ladies locker, steam room and showers. The jacuzzi/spa is outside and shared so swim suits are required. All the treatment rooms are accessed from the outdoor walkway.

I went for the Reflexology treatment 60 minutes of foot and hand reflexology. This was a great treatment for anyone who really enjoys real reflexology. Most places basically just give you a foot massage, but here they do it right. They use a small stick to press and push on the reflexology spots all over you feet, and they do get in there deep, sometimes a little uncomfortable, but that is what this type of treatment is about, releasing tension and aiding in the healing of your body. They begin with a dry brushing of your legs and feet, then the reflexology, followed by a wonderful and relaxing massage of your feet. You are then wrapped in hot blankets and they move on to your hands with a similar routine. I went in and out of sleep through the whole thing and it was heavenly.

Basically Travaasa Hana is a magical place that I can't wait to return to. It is a wonderful spot to really unwind and let the mainland leave you, while you soak up Hana for all its glory.

Room Tip: Stay in the Sea Ranch Cottages and visit the spa!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DMynarHana, General Manager at Travaasa Hotel Hana, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Wow, Elizabeth! It sounds like your experience from start to finish was terrific. Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We look forward to your third visit, and hope to see you again soon!

708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Lexington,Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights to use the hotel as a base for seeing the east end of Maui. The facility is in need of a little freshening, so we cannot rate it a 5, but we enthusiastically recommend it as a base for visiting this end of the island. It is in a lovely setting, with wonderful grounds leading down to the ocean, and has a lovely pool. We stayed in a charming cottage. The overall feeling was one of peacefulness and tranquility. It felt very Hawaiian, and was quite a contrast to the more glitzy beach resorts on the west side of the island

Room Tip: we loved our cottage that was across the road from the main buildings and near the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing! We are in the process of addressing your concerns regarding our guest room product and will begin a complete room renovation at the end of this month. As you pointed out the hotel has a great overall feel with the beautiful oceanfront grounds and Wellness Pool. We are committed to improving all guest amenities and hopefully will be able to welcome you again in the future.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I drove the road to Hana with our infant so we decided to stay one night in Hana to break up the long, tiring drive. I took pictures all along the way which only added to the drive time. We get in around 4pm and the Travaasa had everything waiting for us. I took advice from a previous poster on trip advisor and signed up for the iPrefer points ahead of time which allowed us a free upgrade upon check in. I didn't even have to ask for it - the wonderful lady at the front desk informed me that we had been upgraded, for free, to one of the sea cottages. I don't think the garden suites looked bad at all, but the sea cottage grounds are immaculate. The grounds are freshly kept and stunning.

The sea cottage itself was rather large and roomy. Loved the bathroom area and the living room/patio. I wish we had stayed another night but we had already booked a room back in Wailea.

The restaurant on the grounds is ok - could be better. The atmosphere is casual and the service was nice but the food was a little iffy for the price.

We didn't take advantage of any of the activities they offer but they do offer some fun stuff. There is a red sand beach nearby that the staff 'can't' tell you how to get to because some jerk fell years ago and sued on their way. Probably some heavy-set older person who shouldn't have been out of the house let along on a wilderness trail. Either way, just follow the unmarked path behind the cemetary and you'll find a red sand picture perfect beach. Hana bay beach is off to the left and is nice to lay at for a little. Snorkeling is ok here but if you swim from Hana Bay towards the Red Sand beach you can find a massive untouched reef.

When we come to Maui again we will certainly come back to Hana and stay here at the Travaasa again simply because there is nothing else like it in the area, maybe the island. The service was great and the rooms were perfectly clean, as far as we saw. We look forward to our next trip here ...

Room Tip: Sign up for iPrefer membership (it's free) and you can upgrade for free if a better room is avai...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mahalo for writing! I’m glad that your short stay with us was enjoyable. Many of our guests enjoy the variety of activities available both on property and nearby. Hopefully you will have time to take advantage of some of them on your next visit. See you then!
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When I was 37 years old I enjoyed this resort, then known as Hotel Hana Maui, for the first few nights of my honeymoon. We had stayed there a couple times before and several times afterwards. It's without a shadow of a doubt, one of my favorite small hotels in all of my travels!

I had fallen in love with this part of Maui way back in 1974 when I arrived from the mainland. There was always something about the 1,000 shades of green, eclectic tropical blooms, moonbows, rainbows, the wild ocean and meandering streams and waterfalls that kept me spellbound whenever I would spend time in Hana and Kipahulu (which was often).

Although I enjoy the rooms in the original and main part of the hotel, I am a Sea Ranch Cottage kind of girl! I must have a jacuzzi on my deck and if I have a one bedroom suite then I am about as happy a person as you will find on the face of the earth. I like to sprawl out and I work in my room so having my bedroom separate is a nice touch. However, I would NEVER turn down a studio Sea Ranch Cottage. I just want to be clear from the start! I've stayed in every type of SRC, about 10 times altogether. I would hop in my Miata and drive the 2.5 hours this very moment for ANY Sea Ranch Cottage :)

I am also a "room with a view" kind of gal. The views from the Sea Ranch Cottages are spectacular and get better the further down the hill you go towards the pasture. To me, there is almost nothing like gazing out over the pasture, often dotted with frisky grazing horses, looking out to the rugged dark brown lava coast and the wild dark blue ocean. The jacuzzi on the deck is where I find myself often, rain, shine or inbetween. I love staying in my cottage. Room service is a great feature that Travaasa Hana offers to accomplish this goal. A good book, dreamy tropical showers, my camera ready to run out to take pictures of an explosive sunrise, a moonrises on a cobalt blue gray ocean or a rainbow.

Once, there were humpback whales everywhere to be seen from my SRC and walks along the coastline. In fact, during that trip, the water became so calm that I was able to go on a kayak tour with Kevin Coates in Hana Bay and snorkel over pristine reef! Unbelievable!!

There is so much to do if you enjoy nature and the outdoors, not to mention all the great things the hotel has in store for you. Ukulele playing and Lei making lessons were both activities I enjoyed immensely. I rode a bike around Hana town on an escorted bike tour and enjoyed one of the best horseback tours/experiences I have ever been on at the Maui Stables in Kipahulu. I made a GREAT new discovery (for me) at the really magnificent Kahanu Botanical Gardens. Coconuts much bigger than my head AND, hold on to your hats, the biggest ancient Hawaiian Heiau (temple) in the State of Hawaii. It's HUGE! Of course, don't forget Oheo Stream/Haleakala National Park hiking and exploring.

And let's not forget the Spa! Remember I've been going to this hotel for many many years. When they created the Spa, heaven had just been made better! I experienced my first Thai massage here and my first Watsu water massage/treatment. Honestly, all of the Therapists are great. I do have an affinity to Cynthia Johnson. If you have never tried a Thai massage, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Although I have never stayed in one of the Waikoloa Suites, I did inspect and video one and I have to say that for families, these suites (more like apartments) are amazing. They are spacious and very nicely furnished, full gourmet kitchens, TV's (yes....and internet). They are on the Hana Bay side of the property and it is an easy jaunt to the Bay to go for a dip or watch the local canoe club practice or ...

My last visit to Travaasa Hana Resort & Spa left me with the warmest fuzziest feeling I have ever had. The food was great and the staff were sweet and kind and so very hospitable. You arrive as a visitor and leave as a friend!!! They share the true Aloha with their guests.

Hana IS one of the last holdouts of an authentic Hawaiian community that is living and breathing. It's culturally rich and stunningly gorgeous. You can feel the stress melt away after the first day or two. The 1,000 shades of green embrace you and let you rediscover who that person is that is too busy to sit still. YOU! Amazing for a solo traveler and awe inspiring for a romantic couple looking for a nurturing place to let their love flourish for a few days, Travaasa Hana is a wonderful place for all types of folks. Do yourself a favor. Don't rush in and out for a night. You deserve to give yourself a few days to relax, unwind, de-stress, and breath in the life that this magical part of Maui (and Hawaii) offers you. IDEA: Instead of going to Kauai and Maui, why not go to Maui and Maui? Wailea/Hana or similar? There are direct stops from Oahu now so why not Waikiki/Hana? Give it a thought! Do it for yourself and/or the ones you love!

And, on that note, I'm going to get my duffle out and start packing :) I'm sure there is a Sea Ranch Cottage with my name on it..................

Please enjoy! Melissa McCoy

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Aloha – thank you for writing. Mahalo for your enthusiastic review, and for your long-time support of our resort. I am delighted that you continue to enjoy all that Hana and Travaasa Hana have to offer. Check back with us regarding our Kamaaina Specials. Hope to see you on a return visit soon!
Manchester, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to Hotel Hana for our Honeymoon in September of 2011 and it is such a special place. Having visited many Hotels around the world and this one in December of 2001 there is nothing like it. If you are looking for a place that has limited People, the heaviest amount of oxygen in the air, truly unique activities, and a paradise then Hotel Hana is the place to go.

The only downside to Hana is the attentiveness of the breakfast and lunch staff. Jay and the other dinner staff are Exceptional. The food is always top notch during all meals, and I am confident the morning and breakfast staffing problem is a result of the exclusive location. The activity staff are all great and especially Andrew. Make sure that you sign up for a massage at least once a day, as you will be hard pressed to find a group of people that can make you feel more at ease.

If your budget allows visit Hotel Hana and enjoy every minute!

Room Tip: Definitely book a Seaside cottage if your budget allows.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha – Thank you for coming back to visit and for appreciating all that Hana has to offer. I am thrilled that you were able to participate in the activities and breathe the air! I hope to see you on a return visit!
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After the "white Knuckle" drive to Hana we spent two nights here and it was wonderful. We did not take part in any resort activities because we had so many other things we wanted to do. Breakfast was great though. The red sand beach is basically right next to the property (tricky trail...wear good shoes...not flip flops) Black sand beach (state park) very near. Thai restaurant is very close and excellent. Resort a bit pricey, and no a/c in rooms (which was not a huge issue in march) but the people were friendly and the property was beautiful. I would like to stay a week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear lansingisland -
Thanks for writing. It sounds like your (2) night stay was filled with many adventures! I hope that you will be able to take advantage of our on-property offerings on a return visit to further enhance your vacation. Until then….
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is quite possibly my favorite hotel. If you make the sojourn to Hana, stay here! Even if only for one night, you will fall in love with this place. Service is outstanding. The food is awesome. The spa is heavenly and the views are breathtaking. We stayed one night last year and it was not enough...so we returned for a longer visit. Throw the extra dough for a Sea Ranch Cottage. You will not be disappointed. The employees at this hotel will do back-flips through hoops of fire to make you happy, seriously! Hana is a world apart from the big resorts on the other side of the island. No clocks, no TVs, no radios....it is the most relaxed I have been for years. If the Hana Highway seems too much, they have stay/fly packages that bring you to Hana's small airport.
Bottom line: If you are planning a trip to Maui....make this your first and last stop!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahalo (thank you) for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It sounds like you were able to capture the essence of Hana during your stay and I hope that you left feeling refreshed and energized. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
808-270-3257

Been to Travaasa Hotel Hana? Share your experiences!