“The place to stay in the Hana area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travaasa Hotel Hana

You added Travaasa Hotel Hana to your Saves list
Travaasa Hotel Hana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5031 Hana Hwy, PO Box 9, Hana, Maui, HI 96713 (Formerly Hotel Hana Maui)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Lexington,Massachusetts
“The place to stay in the Hana area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights to use the hotel as a base for seeing the east end of Maui. The facility is in need of a little freshening, so we cannot rate it a 5, but we enthusiastically recommend it as a base for visiting this end of the island. It is in a lovely setting, with wonderful grounds leading down to the ocean, and has a lovely pool. We stayed in a charming cottage. The overall feeling was one of peacefulness and tranquility. It felt very Hawaiian, and was quite a contrast to the more glitzy beach resorts on the west side of the island

Room Tip: we loved our cottage that was across the road from the main buildings and near the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DMynarHana, General Manager at Travaasa Hotel Hana, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for writing! We are in the process of addressing your concerns regarding our guest room product and will begin a complete room renovation at the end of this month. As you pointed out the hotel has a great overall feel with the beautiful oceanfront grounds and Wellness Pool. We are committed to improving all guest amenities and hopefully will be able to welcome you again in the future.
808-270-3257

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I drove the road to Hana with our infant so we decided to stay one night in Hana to break up the long, tiring drive. I took pictures all along the way which only added to the drive time. We get in around 4pm and the Travaasa had everything waiting for us. I took advice from a previous poster on trip advisor and signed up for the iPrefer points ahead of time which allowed us a free upgrade upon check in. I didn't even have to ask for it - the wonderful lady at the front desk informed me that we had been upgraded, for free, to one of the sea cottages. I don't think the garden suites looked bad at all, but the sea cottage grounds are immaculate. The grounds are freshly kept and stunning.

The sea cottage itself was rather large and roomy. Loved the bathroom area and the living room/patio. I wish we had stayed another night but we had already booked a room back in Wailea.

The restaurant on the grounds is ok - could be better. The atmosphere is casual and the service was nice but the food was a little iffy for the price.

We didn't take advantage of any of the activities they offer but they do offer some fun stuff. There is a red sand beach nearby that the staff 'can't' tell you how to get to because some jerk fell years ago and sued on their way. Probably some heavy-set older person who shouldn't have been out of the house let along on a wilderness trail. Either way, just follow the unmarked path behind the cemetary and you'll find a red sand picture perfect beach. Hana bay beach is off to the left and is nice to lay at for a little. Snorkeling is ok here but if you swim from Hana Bay towards the Red Sand beach you can find a massive untouched reef.

When we come to Maui again we will certainly come back to Hana and stay here at the Travaasa again simply because there is nothing else like it in the area, maybe the island. The service was great and the rooms were perfectly clean, as far as we saw. We look forward to our next trip here ...

Room Tip: Sign up for iPrefer membership (it's free) and you can upgrade for free if a better room is avai...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mahalo for writing! I’m glad that your short stay with us was enjoyable. Many of our guests enjoy the variety of activities available both on property and nearby. Hopefully you will have time to take advantage of some of them on your next visit. See you then!
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When I was 37 years old I enjoyed this resort, then known as Hotel Hana Maui, for the first few nights of my honeymoon. We had stayed there a couple times before and several times afterwards. It's without a shadow of a doubt, one of my favorite small hotels in all of my travels!

I had fallen in love with this part of Maui way back in 1974 when I arrived from the mainland. There was always something about the 1,000 shades of green, eclectic tropical blooms, moonbows, rainbows, the wild ocean and meandering streams and waterfalls that kept me spellbound whenever I would spend time in Hana and Kipahulu (which was often).

Although I enjoy the rooms in the original and main part of the hotel, I am a Sea Ranch Cottage kind of girl! I must have a jacuzzi on my deck and if I have a one bedroom suite then I am about as happy a person as you will find on the face of the earth. I like to sprawl out and I work in my room so having my bedroom separate is a nice touch. However, I would NEVER turn down a studio Sea Ranch Cottage. I just want to be clear from the start! I've stayed in every type of SRC, about 10 times altogether. I would hop in my Miata and drive the 2.5 hours this very moment for ANY Sea Ranch Cottage :)

I am also a "room with a view" kind of gal. The views from the Sea Ranch Cottages are spectacular and get better the further down the hill you go towards the pasture. To me, there is almost nothing like gazing out over the pasture, often dotted with frisky grazing horses, looking out to the rugged dark brown lava coast and the wild dark blue ocean. The jacuzzi on the deck is where I find myself often, rain, shine or inbetween. I love staying in my cottage. Room service is a great feature that Travaasa Hana offers to accomplish this goal. A good book, dreamy tropical showers, my camera ready to run out to take pictures of an explosive sunrise, a moonrises on a cobalt blue gray ocean or a rainbow.

Once, there were humpback whales everywhere to be seen from my SRC and walks along the coastline. In fact, during that trip, the water became so calm that I was able to go on a kayak tour with Kevin Coates in Hana Bay and snorkel over pristine reef! Unbelievable!!

There is so much to do if you enjoy nature and the outdoors, not to mention all the great things the hotel has in store for you. Ukulele playing and Lei making lessons were both activities I enjoyed immensely. I rode a bike around Hana town on an escorted bike tour and enjoyed one of the best horseback tours/experiences I have ever been on at the Maui Stables in Kipahulu. I made a GREAT new discovery (for me) at the really magnificent Kahanu Botanical Gardens. Coconuts much bigger than my head AND, hold on to your hats, the biggest ancient Hawaiian Heiau (temple) in the State of Hawaii. It's HUGE! Of course, don't forget Oheo Stream/Haleakala National Park hiking and exploring.

And let's not forget the Spa! Remember I've been going to this hotel for many many years. When they created the Spa, heaven had just been made better! I experienced my first Thai massage here and my first Watsu water massage/treatment. Honestly, all of the Therapists are great. I do have an affinity to Cynthia Johnson. If you have never tried a Thai massage, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Although I have never stayed in one of the Waikoloa Suites, I did inspect and video one and I have to say that for families, these suites (more like apartments) are amazing. They are spacious and very nicely furnished, full gourmet kitchens, TV's (yes....and internet). They are on the Hana Bay side of the property and it is an easy jaunt to the Bay to go for a dip or watch the local canoe club practice or ...

My last visit to Travaasa Hana Resort & Spa left me with the warmest fuzziest feeling I have ever had. The food was great and the staff were sweet and kind and so very hospitable. You arrive as a visitor and leave as a friend!!! They share the true Aloha with their guests.

Hana IS one of the last holdouts of an authentic Hawaiian community that is living and breathing. It's culturally rich and stunningly gorgeous. You can feel the stress melt away after the first day or two. The 1,000 shades of green embrace you and let you rediscover who that person is that is too busy to sit still. YOU! Amazing for a solo traveler and awe inspiring for a romantic couple looking for a nurturing place to let their love flourish for a few days, Travaasa Hana is a wonderful place for all types of folks. Do yourself a favor. Don't rush in and out for a night. You deserve to give yourself a few days to relax, unwind, de-stress, and breath in the life that this magical part of Maui (and Hawaii) offers you. IDEA: Instead of going to Kauai and Maui, why not go to Maui and Maui? Wailea/Hana or similar? There are direct stops from Oahu now so why not Waikiki/Hana? Give it a thought! Do it for yourself and/or the ones you love!

And, on that note, I'm going to get my duffle out and start packing :) I'm sure there is a Sea Ranch Cottage with my name on it..................

Please enjoy! Melissa McCoy

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Aloha – thank you for writing. Mahalo for your enthusiastic review, and for your long-time support of our resort. I am delighted that you continue to enjoy all that Hana and Travaasa Hana have to offer. Check back with us regarding our Kamaaina Specials. Hope to see you on a return visit soon!
Manchester, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to Hotel Hana for our Honeymoon in September of 2011 and it is such a special place. Having visited many Hotels around the world and this one in December of 2001 there is nothing like it. If you are looking for a place that has limited People, the heaviest amount of oxygen in the air, truly unique activities, and a paradise then Hotel Hana is the place to go.

The only downside to Hana is the attentiveness of the breakfast and lunch staff. Jay and the other dinner staff are Exceptional. The food is always top notch during all meals, and I am confident the morning and breakfast staffing problem is a result of the exclusive location. The activity staff are all great and especially Andrew. Make sure that you sign up for a massage at least once a day, as you will be hard pressed to find a group of people that can make you feel more at ease.

If your budget allows visit Hotel Hana and enjoy every minute!

Room Tip: Definitely book a Seaside cottage if your budget allows.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha – Thank you for coming back to visit and for appreciating all that Hana has to offer. I am thrilled that you were able to participate in the activities and breathe the air! I hope to see you on a return visit!
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After the "white Knuckle" drive to Hana we spent two nights here and it was wonderful. We did not take part in any resort activities because we had so many other things we wanted to do. Breakfast was great though. The red sand beach is basically right next to the property (tricky trail...wear good shoes...not flip flops) Black sand beach (state park) very near. Thai restaurant is very close and excellent. Resort a bit pricey, and no a/c in rooms (which was not a huge issue in march) but the people were friendly and the property was beautiful. I would like to stay a week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear lansingisland -
Thanks for writing. It sounds like your (2) night stay was filled with many adventures! I hope that you will be able to take advantage of our on-property offerings on a return visit to further enhance your vacation. Until then….
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is quite possibly my favorite hotel. If you make the sojourn to Hana, stay here! Even if only for one night, you will fall in love with this place. Service is outstanding. The food is awesome. The spa is heavenly and the views are breathtaking. We stayed one night last year and it was not enough...so we returned for a longer visit. Throw the extra dough for a Sea Ranch Cottage. You will not be disappointed. The employees at this hotel will do back-flips through hoops of fire to make you happy, seriously! Hana is a world apart from the big resorts on the other side of the island. No clocks, no TVs, no radios....it is the most relaxed I have been for years. If the Hana Highway seems too much, they have stay/fly packages that bring you to Hana's small airport.
Bottom line: If you are planning a trip to Maui....make this your first and last stop!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahalo (thank you) for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It sounds like you were able to capture the essence of Hana during your stay and I hope that you left feeling refreshed and energized. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Travaasa Hotel in Hana is a special treat! The drive there is amazing, you have to do it during the day so you can see all of the great views (and the one lane bridges!!). The pampering starts the minute you arrive with a lei, fruit drink and lemon wash cloth! We loved the golf cart tour of the property that took us to our very comfortable suite. A couple of my favorite things at Travaasa...wonderful meals, breath taking views, relaxing spa visits, early morning Yoga overlooking the Pacific, tour of Ono Organic farm (another break taking drive!) Did I mention waterfalls, so many incredible waterfalls around every bend! I only wish we had more time to participate in the many offerings at Travaasa. So we hope to return with our family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha – thank you for writing. Mahalo for your enthusiastic review! I am delighted that you were able to enjoy all that Hana and Travaasa Hana have to offer. Hope to see you on a return visit with your family!
808-270-3257

Been to Travaasa Hotel Hana? Share your experiences!