“Horrible All Around” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Travaasa Hotel Hana

Save Saved
You added Travaasa Hotel Hana to your Saves list
Travaasa Hotel Hana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5031 Hana Hwy, PO Box 9, Hana, Maui, HI 96713 (Formerly Hotel Hana Maui)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Hana
“Horrible All Around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

First of all a Tip to everyone. Sign up ahead of time for the "Preferred Hotels" membership, which is free and they will upgrade you from a normal room to a "Sea Cottage". Usually a $50/night upgrade. Ok, now to the bad. Travaasa is one of the only full service hotels in the Hana area. If you want to do the drive to Hana and not drive back the same day, you need to stay in Hana, which is why we decided to stay here. I made my reservations using Travelocity, because they offered a $125 one-time credit, broken into $25 food, $50 activities and $50 spa. At check-in they said they had no record of any credit from Travelocity, but they would leave a note and the morning employees would check on it and let us know. We got to our cottage, which required a 5-minute golf cart ride from the lobby where the restaurant and all services are. Even with the lights all on, the room was dark. Then we started seeing bugs, including roaches. I called the front desk, they sent a maintenance guy over who saw the roach (luckily I killed it as proof) and he recommended we change rooms. We then took another golf cart ride to another cottage, which also was very dark, but we didn't see any bugs, right away so thought it was okay. Throughout our 2 night stay, I must have killed over 10 bugs inside the cottage. In the morning I went to the front desk to inquire about the Travelocity credit and of course no note was left from the previous employee and they had no idea what I was talking about. They had me call Travelocity from my cell phone while at the front desk and try to get it figured out. After over 30 minutes on the phone with Travelocity, they tell me that Travaasa should have been aware of the credits and they called Travaasa to ensure I would receieve them. After wasting over 30 minutes of my time on my phone, I didn't get a sorry from Travaasa for not knowing about the credit or any sympathy at all. It was basically a figure it out yourself situation, with no help from front desk. Travelocity charges taxes and fees as part of their transaction, so I was shocked to see that Travaasa also charges $75/night for additional resort fees. Keep in mind that I already paid $530/night on Travelocity, now I"m paying an additional $75/night......for what??? Basically they know you have no other options in Hana and they gouge you because you can. The sea cottage upgrade ended up being a downgrade, because of the long walk from the cottage to the lobby where the restaurant and all services are. Not only is it a long walk, but you have to have a key card and go thru a small car gate each way. It would have been much more convenient to stay in the regular rooms, which are located in the same lobby coampus,versus the cottages are across the street and a ways away. Also, the sea cottages are in a secluded area and each cottage is a large distance away from each other. While this is good for privacy, the fact that it's so secluded made my wife uncomfortable in terms of safety and security. If you scream, will anyone hear it? I won't even get into the horrible restaurant as others have mentioned. Just review TripAdvisor and Yelp and you'll find the Thai place nearby which is amazing food at amazing prices just outside Travaasa. Worst Experience and Paid Alot for it!

• Stayed January 2013
DMynarHana, General Manager at Travaasa Hotel Hana, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Aloha Blkmustng,
I am sorry to hear that our property did not meet your expectations. As you can see from the hundreds of positive reviews we strongly feel that we offer a unique boutique hotel experience at a great value. I have personally spoken to hundreds of delighted guests that commented very favorably on our amenities, the beautiful setting and warm service of our staff. Although we were not able to meet your standards during your visit we truly hope that you enjoyed your vacation and visit to the beautiful island of Maui.

708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Del Mar, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We loved our few days here at Travaasa. So glad that we did not drive to and from Hana in the same day. We sprung for the ocean view and could not have been happier. Food at the hotel was ok, less expensive option is the lounge, but you have to know the happy hour hours. That menu was much simpler than the main dining room and we would have been happier with that menu than the dining room. I purchased a facial for myself, which was great. And photography lesson for my husband, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Room Tip: Definitely the ocean front cottage. And Sunrise right outside is phenomenal!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahalo (thank you) for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It sounds like you were able to capture the essence of Hana during your stay and I hope that you left feeling refreshed and energized. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel Hana Maui WAS a five star family experience. What the new owners are doing is taking away one of the greatest family places and turning it into a joke and putting a huge price tag on it. Give me a break, "net fishing" and "two step lessons" - no ultra rich fool cares about that. Stop putting a price tag on something and try and turn it into a cold "four seasons" experience. Hana is about family - even the name Hana means "beloved home or house", although I bet Travaasa has never looked that up yet.

I hope the new owners fail and the treasure goes back into a family that cares about the town and people of Hana first and the family visitors as well.

As a kid I was lucky enough to ride the horses, surf the waves, etc. I got married on Hamoa Beach. I played soccer with the locals and go to their pot luck fundraisers. I'm sure Travaasa hasn't put this in the brochure because, God Forbid, a child steps near their ocean suites.

The cows that used to roam those fields wouldn't let kids in either. But at least, they were protecting the Hana way of life, not the fake spa and nurture facilities... You're turning this into a Hollywood re-hab center with the B.S.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Aloha JimS
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed five nights in one of their cottages with an ocean view. It was large, private, clean, and comfortable. The food in the restaurant was very good, and the grounds were beautiful. The staff was friendly and helpful. We loved watching the waves crash on boulders along the shore. There were a few minor problems with the cottage (nonfunctioning vent fan in the bathroom, low-wattage light bulbs that made reading a challenge at night). We really liked their no-tipping policy. We would stay there again if it weren't for the 3-hour, narrow, winding road from the airport at Kahului. The plus side of this drive was that there weren't many people in this part of Maui, making driving tours once we got to Hana a lot more pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha – Mahalo for your post. Our recent partnership with Mokulele Airlines now gives our guests an option to fly to Hana. Rental cars will be available for day excursions. Perhaps you can give that a try on your next visit?
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When u contemplate staying at the Travaasa Hana you are also biting off the "road to Hana". We did the full circle with its hairpin turns requiring a horn honk since the road and bridges can be totally blind which add to the experience, a bit laborious, and unbeknownst to us we were out of compliance with our rental car contract. We were celebrating our 4th anniversay and they graciously sent a bottle of Sparkling wine and a loaf of banana bread to go with our delicious coffee in the am. Since, we are "I Prefer" members they upgraded us to an OV cottage for our two night stay, which by the way was the perfect length of stay. The panaramic view of the grounds and ocean was gorgeous. The sea view cottage was clean, serene and rustically simple but hasn't changed since my husband was their several years ago. The garden cottages across the street are a LONG way from the ocean. The Spa which has been rated the "best in Hawaii" was not. We chose to dine early and take advantage of the ocean vistas and really enjoyed taking in the live local Hawaiin music by "CJ". The seafood was fresh and the local grass fed beef was delicious. I highly recommend this trek once!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay less than ocean view
L D, Manager at Travaasa Hotel Hana, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Aloha Sandy C.
Mahalo (thank you) for visiting Travaasa Hana, and for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted that our facilities, staff and especially our entertainment and culinary offerings exceeded your expectations, and will be sure to share your positive comments with our staff and management team.
It would be my pleasure to personally assist you with any future inquiries.
A hui hou (until then).

Carmichael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was one of the finest hotels I have stayed in. With a staff that was excellent and the perfect spot to get away from it all. The ocean front room were out of this world and watching the horses i the morning grazing with the ocean in the background spectacular. Love Love Love this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
L D, Manager at Travaasa Hotel Hana, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Aloha Igal45,
We are delighted that our facilities and staff exceeded your expectations, and will be sure to share your positive comments with our staff and management team.
It would be my pleasure to personally assist you with any future inquiries.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to Hana in the very near future. A hui hou (until then).
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed Dec10-17 2012 in pricey sea ranch cottage. Location,pools,grounds beautiful, however placed us in a cottage way at the back overlooking a field, ocean view only if you leaned out and craned your neck. They moved us to a better view room yet the blinds were broken, towels dirty and coffee maker took 20 minutes to clean out, Yuk. Asked to move again, this time got amazing view and clean room. Staff were great about it all. The only issue we had was with the waitress in the Paniolo Lounge. She needs to be fired. We arrived to eat about 45 minutes before closing. She asked us to eat in the main dining room since they had the same menu. The dining room is cavernous,we'd be the only 2 in there so we wanted to stay in her Lounge with the other patrons. Her eyes rolled and took our order. She spent the whole time with her boyfriend who was waiting for her to get off work, he sat a table near the bar. We had to beg for coffee, dessert menu and the bill. She just wanted us out of there. The boyfriend we met the next day, he runs the Travaasa beach facility at Hamoa beach, she was visiting him while he tried to do his job there. It's not the only place to stay in Hana so I would not stay again for the $$$ charged and they need to know about that staff in the Lounge, shame on her.

Room Tip: If you pay for a sea ranch cottage, get the ocean "front" rooms, the ocean "view"...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha – Thank you for writing! We are in the process of addressing your concerns regarding our guest room product and are planning a complete room renovation at the end of this month. As you pointed out the hotel has a great overall feel with the openness of the lobby breathtaking pool and beautiful grounds. We are committed to improving all guest amenities and hopefully will be able to welcome you again in the future.
Danny Mynar

Been to Travaasa Hotel Hana? Share your experiences!