“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Travaasa Hotel Hana

Save Saved
You added Travaasa Hotel Hana to your Saves list
Travaasa Hotel Hana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5031 Hana Hwy, PO Box 9, Hana, Maui, HI 96713 (Formerly Hotel Hana Maui)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Hana
Buffalo, New York, United States
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just got off the plane from Maui last night and couldn't wait to tell everyone about Travaasa. After the amazingly treacherous but beautiful road to Hana, we entered the lush vista of Travaasa Hana. We stayed in a sea ranch cottage overlooking the ocean with no ac and it was sheer heaven. The tradewinds blew through the cottage and you could smell the fragrant hawaiian flowers and hear all the exotic birds around the grounds. Both nights a powerful rain came in over the ocean and it was so cool to lay there in bed and listen to the rain and the wind. I don't know how, but everytime you gaze to the sky, there seems to be a rainbow somewhere in your line of sight. I think the Hana staff have pull with the man upstairs.

Here was our day....Get up, grind our own coffee they leave for you, enjoy on your own patio looking at the waves crash into the shore, get ready for the 7:00 yoga class, but decide to go for coffee number two and skip the yoga. Lay by the beautiful infinity pool, do a couple laps to not feel guilty about missing the yoga, have lunch in their beautiful open air restaurant overlooking Hana bay, sit at the beach bar and attend a juicing class with (I forgot her name) but the little cute redhead who inspired me to drag out my Breville when I finish this review, had couples massages that were heavenly, dressed for dinner and had complimentary (strong) mai tais at the manager's cocktail party by the art gallery and then watched Auntie Carol and the lovely ladies of the resort dance the traditional dances of Hawaii backed by a trio of talented musicians while enjoying dinner. Then back to the cottage through the sliding screen doors on the patio, to gaze at the stars and moon. So decadent, so romantic, so bucolic.

Thank you everyone at Travaasa. You are all so friendly and I wish everyone back here at home were as nice and special as you are.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TravaasaMNGR, General Manager at Travaasa Hotel Hana, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Aloha Kelly K,

You just give us too much credit in the rainbow department. If only we could pull those strings. But thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We are thrilled you had such a memorable stay with us. We’ll be sure to pass on your thanks to our entire team, and hope to see you again in the future.

All the best,

694 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Princeville, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Aloha! I have stayed at Travaasa Hotel Hana Maui 3 times; first time in a Garden Suite, and the last two times in a Sea Ranch Cottage. My experiences here have been a little bit varied, and after reading the many diverse reviews on Trip Advisor, I thought I'd share my perspective.

Firstly, Hana is a place where you go to enjoy nature and rest, if you choose to do so. It rains often, and you can expect that it might rain while you are there. The landscape in and around Hana is breathtaking. Enjoy it!

The Travaasa Hotel Hana Maui offers you a place to relax and refresh. It is tranquil and a nice place to just BE. There are no TV's, no clocks or radios, unless you bring your own.

With that said, you do have more time to focus on the things that do not work or might not be up to par with other luxury resorts of the same class. The thing is, I don't know if this resort can be compared to another of the same class. It is so different. I feel like I'm at "Adult Camp" when I stay there.

So, here's a very detailed review of all my stays there...

Garden Suite 12 - I went with a friend and for my first time there, I thought it was nice. There was a beautiful Welcome Basket with fresh fruits and banana bread and the room, lanai and view were all nice. The lighting was not so good in the bathroom. The food at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast was okay and pricey. We stayed only one night.

Sea Ranch Cottage 207 - For my 2nd trip to Hana, I wanted to splurge a little on a Sea Ranch Cottage, and I was traveling with another friend who was visiting the island. When we were taken to the other side of the resort, I felt like I had missed out on my first trip. There's a whole other oasis beyond the Garden Suites, so make sure you venture out there. The views from our cottage were great. The lighting in the bathroom was still an issue, and I felt the bathrooms the lounging areas could use an upgrade. There were ants in the bathroom, on the tile by the sinks which reminded me to cover my toothbrush after every use. Both my friend and I had spa treatments while there, and that was a great experience. When we ate dinner in the Paniolo Lounge one of the nights we were there, my friends food was not so good. Her soup arrived cold & she was disappointed with her main course as well, as she had to send her food back to be re-cooked/re-prepared. I believe we had breakfast in the restaurant once and it was okay. The rest of the time we ate off property.

Sea Ranch Cottage 511 - I just returned and traveled by myself. By far, this is the nicest room I've stayed in. It is an oceanfront suite with a hot tub. Perfectly situated to be the most private and quiet, staying in this suite was a treat. I also had requested an upgraded unit, and thankfully in this unit, there was better lighting in the bathroom. Even though the sink area had been upgraded, there was a problem with ants yet again. It was worse this time, as I went to use a box of tissues and there were ants all over and inside the box. The next day, the ants were climbing all over my products.
I know Hana is in the jungle and animals will be around, as they are on all parts of the island, I just hope in the future that management can address this issue more vigorously.
Other than that, I enjoyed my room, as it had stellar views and I could watch the horses roam the land in front of me.

Overall, I have mixed reviews of this property. On one hand, when I want to have a hotel experience in Hana, this is the place I go. I enjoy the Spa, the views, the people, the activities (definitely take advantage of the activities!!!) and walking the grounds. It is beautiful, scenic and relaxing.
On the other hand, I expect a certain level of quality and service when spending the money that Travaasa Hana charges, for their rooms and food, and I personally don't feel there is a match. Even with a Kama'aina discount on the room, I feel there is more that can be improved upon.

I've heard that Management is making improvements slowly over time. I do hope they continue to do so, as I feel there is so much that could be gained by upgrading and improving the rooms, and food. And if those improvements are made, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Sea Ranch Cottage 511 is the most private, has beautiful views, and has a hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear LisaEaseTravels,

Thank you for pointing out so many of the wonderful attributes that have made the property here so special all these years, particularly the natural environment of Hana. It’s this beautiful environment that we love which frequently contributes to the ongoing maintenance challenges. Please be assured that those, along with other issues you brought up, are currently being addressed. We do hope you will come back to experience each and every improvement, and make new memories.

Yours truly,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Any island I go to - it's here that I return... this is the true Hawiaan experience to me. It leaves the kitschy Hawaii far behind - this is a real tropical paradise. Service isn't bend over backwards, but these are real people from a real community full of connected families. The weather isn't perfect... but again.. it's the real Maui. Lush tropical forest with enough activities, beaches, hikes... it's the only place I ever feel "home", as odd as it sounds. It never disappoints, from the crashing ocean view with horses on rolling pastures, to the fun open mic nights at the grill..... one of the most stunning properties in the world far enough from the real world to forget yourself and reconnect with simplicity and calm... it's fairly amazing. And very special.

Room Tip: Foot the bill for the Sea Ranch Cottages. I see you out there, trying to figure it out. Get the Se...
Aloha OnlineConcierge,

Hāna really is one of the last, true Hawaiian places you will find. Our environment, our community and our people reflect genuine Hawaii. It is so great to hear that you have connected with us in so many ways. We look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.

A hui hou!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our stay at the Travaasa Hana exceeded our already high expectations. We stayed in a wonderfully appointed & very private sea ranch cottage with breath taking views. All staff were incredible, genuine, polite, warm & friendly. There were a wide range of on-site activities and off-site tours. Wish we could move in!

Dear veilsahoy,

We are so pleased to have been able to provide you with such a memorable stay. You are welcome to come back and “move in” anytime you wish. We promise we won’t make you do the dishes. Congratulations and best wishes to you both!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is amazing. The grounds are gorgeous and the views to the ocean are breathtaking. It's in a great location near everything in Hana. The staff were nice and helpful with any questions and help we needed. Patrick works on the grounds and escorted us to our rooms after arriving by golf cart. He grew up in Hana and has been working at Travaasa hotel for over 20 years if that's any indication of how much he loves his job and the hotel. They take care of you and they are extremely environmentally friendly. My only complaint would be no air conditioner. I over heat easily so I need really cold air sometimes but, for the most part, the fans and ocean breeze were enough for me.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Blphotognyc,

It is so kind of you to single out one of our team members for compliment. No matter how beautiful our place is, it still comes down to people like Patrick, as well as each of our staff. Thank you for your comments. We look forward to your return one day soon so we can provide you with an even more comfortable stay.

All the best,
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here last May for two nights. We were in one of the sea ranch cottages and it was fabulous. The sweeping ocean views and quiet, private cottages were a welcome respite after the long drive. I would agree with other reviewers that the bathrooms are a bit outdated, but they are large, very clean and comfortable. I love the wood floors and vaulted ceilings. We ate at the restaurant several times, which was lovely. Hana shuts down pretty early, so it was nice to be able to eat a little later than the other restaurants and enjoy a stroll back to the room after eating. It's expensive, but Hana is expensive, so be prepared to pay top dollar. I've stayed at other properties in Hana and the Travassa is the best by a long shot, particularly if you like to have a clean, comfortable bed, no bugs in the room and no noisy neighbors. What's also wonderful about the location of the cottages is that you can walk down to the raging ocean in almost complete solitude. From this property you can also visit some spectacular beaches - the red sand beach is just to the south along a rather sketchy walk. Also, you can easily walk into Hana Town. If you want a true holiday in Hana, splurge and stay at the Travassa. (I know that they've recently made the sea ranch cottages adults only, which I actually like. You won't be bothered by children screaming, "Marco!!!," "Polo!!!," ad infinitum, which is something we've had to tolerate at other properties on Maui. That said, I think it's a bit unfair to segregate the property so much so that families can't stay in the larger, more spacious cottages. Perhaps there's a happy medium?)

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a cottage - these are lovely.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear portland_traveler21,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. It’s gratifying to hear that you had such a wonderful visit and took the time to connect with the community. We agree - the Sea Ranch cottages are a remarkable experience. Please note as well that we currently offer three separate Open Family periods each year, which lift age restrictions during those times. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Yours truly,
San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Go here at the end of a longer Maui vacation. Spend at least 3, preferably 4 or 5 nights to really get the feel of the place. Upgrade to to the best room you can barely afford. You will not regret the extra expense.

Room Tip: Sea Ranch Cabin with private hot tub
Dear Mike E,

We would be happy to host you for your entire Maui vacation! But we do agree, everyone should spend at least part of their time here in Heavenly Hāna. So glad you had such a memorable time.

A hui hou!
Danny Mynar, General Manager

Been to Travaasa Hotel Hana? Share your experiences!