“Great location and view; nice owners; fairly clean; need new beds.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aloha Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Aloha Cottages
You added Aloha Cottages to your Saves list
73 Keawa Place, Hana, Maui, HI 96713   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hana B&B and Inns
Lovell
“Great location and view; nice owners; fairly clean; need new beds.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Loved the area. View of ocean from unit. Centrally located. The owners are super nice. Place definitely needed some repairs and overall I'd stay there again except the beds were horribly uncomfortable. Gives you the old Hawaii vibe for sure. Walking distance to Hana Bay. Couple of ok restaurants nearby, but pricey. Easy drive to several parks including Haleakala N.P.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Mrs Nakamura is a very nice host, the cottage that we rented (off property) was beautiful, nice view of the ocean. Met the son Keith in the morning, and we shared stories while I held my 3 months old son. What an amazing place... makes me wonder why I live in such a cold climate!

My blessings go to this family, long time Hana residents, I hope to visit them again soon.....

Room Tip: Try to ask for their nicest cottage - im guessing its their most expensive one, but at just over $10...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was warned by multiple reviews of how bare this place is. I found it to be as described, simply a roof over our head, a quiet bed to sleep in, living room to lounge in and a VERY short walk to Hana Bay, where our 6 year old son loved to swim. The Mrs. was courteous and friendly, she offered helpful hints for dining and good beaches to explore. If you are looking for the lap of luxury or looking to be catered to...this is NOT the place for you. It is better then having to set up a tent at the end of a long day when your kid is cranky. And I found the location very central. If you have camping background...you will find this lodging very adequate!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you are looking for luxury in Hana, this is not the place. If you are looking for something reasonable and simple that hearkens to the Hana days of yore, jackpot. The owner, Mrs. Nakamura is old-school Hawaiian. She mentioned her father was born near Hana in 1892. Yes, father not grandfather. You do the math. But I digress. We stayed for one night. Our cottage was clean and simply appointed. No TV, nor did we want one. The corrugated metal roof was awesome in the midnight rain. It is a 2 mintue walk to Hana Bay and centrally located in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The place did not say it was a five star resort, but location and the hostess...Mrs. Nakamura were priceless...If I dare the road again it would be great to hang out a few days, the cottages have been there 25 years and were well appointed for a quick overnight before you travel downhill. It was the only way to avoid crowds at the seven sacred pools, or you could drop five hundred at the hotel across the road. Sunrise over the water was AMAZING. I was there last night. Thanks.

Room Tip: All 3 cottages close, ours had best view of bay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Well we arrived in Hana after a few hours of driving at 20miles per hour and viewing the sites along the way on the road to Hana from Kihei. We didn't want to rush back to Kihei after the drive so we called ahead and booked the room. I read all the other post from the other travelers. I thought, how bad could the Aloha Cottage be?
Well we checked in with the Mrs and she was very pleasant and handed us a map and told us what time the stores and restaurant closed.She handed us the keys and we were on our way.( have to say I was a little disappointed I didn't get to meet the Mr. that everyone wrote about. Sounds like a charmer. :)
We stayed in the upper unit which was a one bedroom and a separate living room area.
We walked up the stairs and the door was so flimsly, you didn't feel safe being on the inside. The rooster cock-a-doodled all day long. The stove in the kitchen did not work. there were ants on the table. Bathroom was basic and not too bad.
However, the view from the living area is spectacular of Hana Bay. Its a great location, but I would suggest paying a little more and stay at another spot. Its well worth your peace of mind and just having nicer amenities and not feeling scared or eeked out.
The location is great but I would deter anyone from staying here. You can hear the other tenants in the below room.
The best part of this place was when we were leaving the cottage. I couldn't wait to get out of there. The least I liked about it was how rickety and creepy the place was.

Room Tip: The top units looked like the better option....lesser of the two evil. This is where we were.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
durango
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've lived and stayed all over the pacific, often budget traveling....so i've stayed in many basic places over the years. this place was among the most run down and unclean of all the places i've ever stayed. on the plus side, it is in a convenient in-town location and the manager is very sweet.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Aloha Cottages? Share your experiences!