“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pali Uli Gardens

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haiku
Pali Uli Gardens
You added Pali Uli Gardens to your Saves list
Door of Faith Road, Huelo Point, Haiku, Maui, HI 94708   |
Granville, Ohio
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We “discovered” Pali Uli 10 years ago and have visited 4 times since then, staying twice in the Cliff House and twice in the Waterfall House. For us, it is absolute paradise! We love to stay at unusual accommodations in beautiful locations. We got hooked on small inns and B&B’s when traveling in the UK almost 20 years ago and we’ve spent a lot of time searching the internet for special places when we plan vacations. We’ve stayed at some very lovely and memorable spots in Ireland, Australia, Canada, and all over the US, but Pali Uli is the best we’ve ever found.

As you turn off the road to Hana onto Door of Faith Rd heading down toward the coast and Pali Uli, you’ll wonder if you made the right turn and the further you go the more you question your directions. It’s a rural single lane road that is paved for the first quarter mile or so, but then becomes a rutted, bumpy gravel road. However, you soon come to the Pali Uli Estate and when those gates swing open, it’s like St. Peter just opened the gates of heaven to you.

There’s a great description of the Waterfall House and it’s amenities on Pali Uli website, but that and the photographs aren’t really able to convey the feeling of the place. As you walk around out by the pool or on any to the three lanais on the ocean side, you can’t see any neighbors, not even the Cliff House right next door. It is unbelievably private and so beautiful! It’s your personal piece of paradise. You will find that even though you’re in Hawaii, on Maui, with so many great things to see and do, you will not want to leave this place, even for a few hours.

A word of warning…Pali Uli is on the north shore of Maui in an undeveloped area. If you’re the type of person that enjoys staying at mega-resorts, sitting on the beach, and being served drinks by cabana boys, Pali Uli is probably not for you. However, if you enjoy privacy and natural beauty in upscale accommodations, and don’t mind mixing your own drinks, you may just fall in love with it like we did.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Clifton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We loved this place!!! We vacationed here with family who had been visiting for years and raved about it. It truly was the most beautiful place we had ever visited. The pictures on their website are gorgeous but that does not even prepare one for being there. We stayed in the Cliffhouse and my sister-in-law and her husband were in the Water Fall house next door. Amazing privacy! While we did get out to drive to Hana and to Mama's Fish House, we were all content to soak in the beauty of this retreat. The pool, outdoor shower, hot tub, views...spectacular. Special thanks to Cindy for being such a wonderful hostess. I could not do any better of a write up than those already posted here.
A week was not enough!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary here and it was, as another reviewer so aptly put it, heaven on earth. The grounds are exquisitely maintained and the place is immaculately clean. The setting is so peaceful and private, and the vistas over the lush gorge out to the ocean and coastline are magnificent. And there is no more spectacular place or way to experience the night sky blanketed with stars than from the perfectly heated soaking tub. The property management of the place is world-class. I kept pinching myself because I could not believe it was real. Honestly, the one "negative" was that we loved Pali Uli so much we did not do much sight-seeing because we could not bear to leave. We will definitely go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This whole place has recently gone through an amazing transition to offering eco tours. My husband and I attended for a week . It was simply spectacular. The idea of using your vacation/travel funds to both learn how to garden organically with awareness of your natural habitat and to support a Woofer farm program – where young folks come learn and practice these skills for several months at a time – is just cool.
We took a couple different tours and learned a lot from the gardener and workers. This is an amazing area of the island that most people miss. If you get the opportunity to go to the Hale Akua Garden Farm – as it is now known, go! As they begin to offer accommodations (they are working through B&B certification under the new rules), it will be interesting to see how soon most of us will be priced out of the market. The Cliff House and Water Fall House are like something in a movie. The view is just like in the pictures here – ocean and water fall (you can actually arrange for someone to walk you down to the base of the falls). But the surprising thing to me was the sound. It is truly tropical…..like the one sound that will relax you.
And for those who seem to worry (I never saw a single bug there). The staff was always on call but totally unobtrusive. I think this must be hard to manage (or just come naturally). It looks like a cool location for a wedding, family reunion or business retreat. We walked a lot in the area and enjoyed going to the original church up the road. And it was close enough (and far enough) from Paia, and the beach. Mostly, for us, it was just romantic I’m really proud they are sticking it out (a number of the old B&Bs on Huelo Point are folding due to the new restrictions). I returned home inspired about how much change is possible and the spirit of the Woofers, farm hands and staff working to implement it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

I've been sitting on this review for entirely too long. Why - because I'm afraid others will discover Pali Uli? It's not like we will be going back again soon (not because we don't want to, but because it was just so wonderful). It's also a l-o-n-g way from North Carolina, and for us the Caribbean is so much closer and more convenient. Nevertheless, for us it was the trip of a lifetime.

My wife and I stayed in the Cliffhouse for seven nights, the middle week of our three week honeymoon. We are in our late 40s and this was the second time around for both of us. We felt we deserved a long, romantic vacation. Did we ever get it.

I did a lot of homework before choosing Pali Uli. Our first week was spent at a huge Hilton resort on the big island, and I wanted something smaller and more intimate next. I zeroed in on the inns and resorts on the Huelo coast of Maui with my research, and eventually picked Pali Uli.

One of my concerns was the remote location of the property. With a little planning (something I am {pat-pat} pretty good at) we made that work to our advantage. What we ended up doing was being "home" every night for dinner, and going out during the day to explore (that is, some days - others we stayed in).

I corresponded with the gal managing Pali Uli several times before the trip, inquiring about everything from what kind of coffee pot and filters they had to whether there was a blender (yes) to what kind of barbeque grill (gas) they provided. Prior to flying to Hawaii I made arrangements with a prepared food company to pick up several premade fresh frozen meals, and on arrival in Maui our first stop was the Safeway grocery store where we stocked up on steaks, snacks and stuff for the blender. In mid week we got some wine and gourmet take out from Mana Foods in Paia, all of which allowed us to stay in every night, which was fine with us. We reveled in the seclusion.

And my oh my are you ever secluded. The Cliffhouse is off the main road off a side road behind a gate at the driveway and through another gate into your own private paradise. Standing on the deck overlooking the cliff and ocean you can see one other house, sort of. If you lean out you can see the deck of Pali Uli's other rental home, the Waterfall House. The staff cannot see you, will not bother you, and will not enter the Cliffhouse unit unless they call on the telephone. If you want total seclusion, this is it.

And that is not what some folks want. If people watching, a lively bar, walking or a taxi ride to restaurants, nightclubs and attractions is what you seek, then Pali Uli is not the place for you. It's not real close to a beach. But if total quiet and a self contained paradise are enough to make you happy, then Pali Uli is your nirvana.

The setting is totally lush. You enter the Cliffhouse by walking up a rain forest lined path and pass through a hand carved door into your private sanctuary. There you enter a garden with a small pool and a single roomed luxury bedroom hut that opens with French doors to the pool. There are two separate outdoor sitting areas; one slightly elevated and more open to the sun, and the other, next to the grill, more "jungle" like under an umbrella at an outdoor dining table. The second, larger building contains another bed in the center, an ornate bathroom with a wonderful outdoor shower, a small but well equiped kitchen, an entertainment nook with TV, satellite radio and DVD player, a tiny dining area that opens onto the deck that overlooks the cliff and ocean, and a multi level deck with a hot tub sunk into the floor. The pictures on their website are truly representative of the property.

The gal who checked us in was very friendly, helpful and informative. The guy who does the daily maintenance showed up the next day, after he called first, and asked us when we would like the hot tub the warmest and then set it to cycle on our schedule (sunrise and sunset). Through a recommendation from Pali Uli we arranged for his and hers massages and two masseuses came, with tables, and rubbed us down there in the entrance to the deck. We arrived at the Cliffhouse at 7 pm on a Sunday and the first time we left was mid-morning on Wednesday.

The location is right at the start of the Hana highway, a curvy, meandering road to the town of Hana. We drove about halfway one morning, stopping to walk at some of the parks and overlooks along the way, before heading back past the property to go shopping in Paia. Another day we went all the way to Hana, and on Saturday we went to the swap meet in Kahului (highly recommended). We ate out for lunch several times, but other than those trips we stayed in at Pali Uli, and were entirely content to do so. Some might get bored; we loved being alone together.

Pali Uli certainly isn't the kind of place to go with kids. It is an unbelievable honeymoon destination, or if you want to sit back, recharge, refresh and revitalize, you can do that here. I would recommend it in a heartbeat, and truth be told, am dreaming of going back again someday.

I have checked the "willing to be contacted" box on this review, and so am available for any inquiries.

• Liked — Lascivious luxury
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

It has been over a year since we stayed at the Pali Uli- The Cliff House and everyday I wonder how soon we can go back. We opted to stay 8 full days on Maui and rent a car to see the whole island. I can not possibly give this place a better review- we have stayed at hotels, rented condos and houses before but still nothing compares. When my husband and I arrived the property I looked back at him and he said "It Does Exist" that pretty much sums up our 8 days in paradise. During our stay -Hawaii experianced a large earth quake and even though roads shut down and power was out- it was only temporary and it didnt affect us since we hung out by our private pool till all the power was restored. In fact it allowed us to see one of the best features of the property- Its personal water fall which was dry the whole week till the earthquake. We made the decison to have a completely different honeymoon than traditional Hotels and I thank god we did- truely an undescribable experiance!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

We stayed here in Sept 2006. I can't say enough nice things about this place. It was excellent and No bugs were found during our stay.

I always were about whether the pictures on property websites are deceiving - in this case - the pictures just don't do the place justice.

It's out of the way, but in the cliffs, but it was just want we wanted. To feel like we were the only 2 people around. Peaceful, serene, tranquil.

We also had 2 masseurs come to the cottage and it was like heaven!

• Liked — The views, cleanliness, and out of the way oasis!!!
  • Disliked — Pool was too cold for this Florida Girl
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pali Uli Gardens? Share your experiences!