“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hale Akua Garden Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haiku
Hale Akua Garden Farm
You added Hale Akua Garden Farm to your Saves list
Haiku, 110 Door of Faith Road, Haiku, Maui, HI 96708   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #5 of 10 Haiku B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed one week in The Villa at the Hale Akua Garden Farm for a yoga and meditation retreat. I was overwhelmed by the beauty and serenity of this place. It was literally as living in Paradise. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2015, traveled solo
Shiva-and-Team, Manager at Hale Akua Garden Farm, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Aloha Susanne,

Thank you very much for staying with us and enjoying our paradise! Please come back for a visit sooner rather than later. You deserve it!

Mahalo,

Hale Akua Garden Farm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

I was upset with the room we had originally booked. The caretaker let us stay in more suitable room that night. the next day the owner or manager of property offered us the very nice room in the main house and it really made the stay there a very happy one for me. You really cant go wrong with marble floors and the best bed i have ever had in any accommodation. The bathroom made me feel like a goddess with an open shower. The ceilings were high and there was another great surprise in that room. They upgraded us to make us happy and this was a wonderful compensation . So not only are the grounds beautiful and fresh vegetables and eggs you can pick up at the farm area awesome but they extended themselves to accommodate us. The location is also great to start your trip to Hana and nearby paia has one of the best organic food stores in ALL of Maui.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

This was a lovely little spot for my husband and I to stay for 2 days before continuing our Maui trip. A quiet and remote area, the garden farm was quite off the beaten path, which we loved. We stayed in the Gardenia Room in the Ohana House, and it was just lovely-- very clean, with a comfortable bed and plenty of closet space, and our own bathroom, including a wonderful enclosed, outdoor shower! Very relaxing atmosphere, almost like staying at a spa.

The grounds were also nice, with two hot tubs and a number of hammocks to relax in. We also made use of the common kitchen, which was a nice option and alternative to eating out every day. The place is about 20 minutes from any other town (Haiku), but we of course had a rental car so that wasn't too much of a problem.

My only small complaint is that the website implied that there would be yoga classes as well as an environmental education component, but we didn't see anything like that happening. It's possible it would have if we inquired further, or gone on a tour of the farm, but we were just as happy to relax and explore the surrounding areas (including a somewhat secret bamboo forest with a waterfall!) Recommended!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Hayward, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2014

We highly recommend this exquisite property, as well as the staff there – of the many wonderful highlights of our belated honeymoon, this unique farm is right near the top of our list! Although I had no problem with using stairs, and had booked a very nice room with a private balcony in the main house, the staff at Hale Akua decided, upon our arrival, to provide a free upgrade to a first floor suite – the master bath and bedroom! It was a humbling surprise, the perfect way to start our honeymoon, and the Grand View Room is truly marvelous; it comes with a private lanai, a separate patio section in front of the house, and an amazing bathroom – one that’s actually an experience all on its own. The name is perfect for the space, and we can’t imagine what one would have to do to have a superior stay on this part of such a truly breathtaking property. The grounds are extremely well maintained, highly picturesque, and evidence attention to detail everywhere – in addition to being staffed by very kind and informed folks who truly care about their guests and their home (most appear to live and work there). The tour was quite interesting, the farm is very well thought out, and the ladies who handle housekeeping are super helpful; also, all household appliances are modern (there is a coin-operated washer and dryer). Having seen virtually every aspect of Hale Akua, we can’t imagine how anyone could go wrong booking any of the living spaces there, each of which has its own special character. The whole place immediately feels like home, and the eco-friendly nature of everything speaks to the need to practice true stewardship of our world.

My husband and I are both mature “hospitality” professionals, and we possess not only experience and eyes for detail but also a thorough understanding of the legal, real estate, lodging, and transportation industries, as well food and beverage services. As a result of my broken ankle, I was laid up for three months and able to do extensive research and planning for the many aspects of our first trip to Maui, and Hale Akua proved to be an absolutely fantastic way to kick off the first real vacation that either of us have taken in 20+ years. (Follow us on our trip, if you’d like more good info. – the next stop was Tutu’s House on Hana Bay.)

We had to postpone our first anniversary plans, which were originally to be celebrated by going on our honeymoon (cost was the factor related to our budget for both the wedding and the trip). Logistics being what they are, we waited for a few months, first went to Napa to play “tourist in our town” (see our reviews of Cedar Gables Inn and the Napa Valley Wine Train), then waited a few more months to give me adequate ability to walk. John is a limousine driver and I didn’t want him to spend much time going from place to place on the island, so we stayed at five different types of “alternative” accommodations in all of the best areas – and we’re glad we did!

Interestingly, there’s only two things on which I could recommend changes: one, the mats being used at the community hot tub area are uncomfortable for bare feet, and two, it would be helpful to have instructions for the TV. (It’s not that we wanted to actually waste time watching the thing, but we arrived on election day and were concerned about the results of a controversial measure on the Maui ballot, plus we would have liked to connect to our rented camera to see how we were doing with that complicated unit.) Otherwise, we have no complaints and nothing but glowing reports about Hale Akua Garden Farm, which is actually very conveniently located on the island and an excellent choice for a place to stay – for either long or short term, small or large groups, and as a basic or retreat-style lodging.

Room Tip: Try the Grand View in the Main House
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

For this trip I was seeking just a place to rest my head at night. What I found was a establishment that catered to my independence and physical enjoyment, exceeding all my expectations. I stayed in a room that had a shared shower, toilet and a fully functional communal kitchen and dining area with a large side-by-side refrigerator freezer, stove and appliances. A laundry room (which I did not use) is available. The solar heated saltwater swimming pool beckoned but I elected to spend time in the sauna instead, which was next to the outdoor hot tub/jacuzzi. Next time, I'll bring my steaks and try out the gas grill! I was next to the lily pond and the chorus of frogs croaking was the only thing that could be bothersome to light sleepers - so be aware that this is Hawaii and after all, this is a "garden" farm environment! Also available are yoga classes that are on the calendar - so if you just happen to be staying during those times, guests are welcome to attend, another perk. Perfect place to retreat and relax, although you might need mosquito repellant if spending significant time outdoors. I had my trip spending all day in traveling and conferencing, so wasn't able to take full advantage of what Hale Akua had to offer-which I'll be sure to plan in, the next time I visit Maui!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Delanco, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

We traveled to Maui for my husband's work event, which was being held at one of the best resorts in Wailea. We were able to come in a few days early..spend a few days on our own to recover from 12 hours of travel and explore the island. We wanted to stay in a place on the flip side of Wailea, and we were also on a budget. Hale Akua fit the bill - it's located on the north side of the island off of the road to Hana, and the price for the "Pond Room" was right.
Judging by descriptions and images, we expected it to be a bit rustic. Shared bath, showers kind of nearby, etc. But as we were checking in at a big resort with all of the modern conveniences a few days later, we decided we could deal with "roughing it" for a bit.

It turned out to be our favorite vacation destination of all time - our favorite place, period. It was also the most romantic three days of our marriage. Absolute perfection - we didn't miss a thing and couldn't have asked for anything more.
It's set well off the main road, though we didn't have any trouble finding it. There were a few other guests, but we had a sense of being alone together - complete solitude. Privacy wasn't an issue. The landscaping is carefully planned so the path to each part of the property curves through trees and brush, crosses streams, passes waterfalls, turns through gates...with sculpture and statues tucked away here and there. AS mentioned elsewhere, there are several hot tubs - all with views of the ocean below. It faces east, and is an amazing place to watch the sunrise each morning.
The Pond Room is located in the Cabana building, so the amazing pool is almost right outside of our door. It was always clean and well maintained. The pool area is beautiful - pictures don't do it justice. The water was just cool enough to be refreshing, but not cold.
We didn't have a private bathroom, but facilities were directly across a small breezeway outside of our room, and were kept very clean. Showers may be 'around the corner', but I would walk that 20' to stand and shower with those trees in view every day if I had the option. The kitchen is large and well equipped. There are additional facilities located in teh main house which we were invited to use, but the Cabana building kitchen was much more convenient for us.
Our bedroom was smallish, but sufficient for the two of us. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bedding was fantastic. This room has two windows that open on to the pond and waterfalls. The sounds coming in were incredibly relaxing. The room is not air conditioned, but an oscillating fan was placed in the room for us and we were perfectly comfortable. In any case, I would have hated to close the windows.
There is a washer and dryer nearby, close to the office and on the way to the main house.
As far as we know, there weren't any events being held on the property while we were there. We didn't have time to participate in the farm tour - I wish we had.

We hope to go back one day soon, and if budget allows we'd love to stay in the house over the ocean. The sunken hot tub (not a bubbler like the other, this was just still and hot) is still on my mind - nothing like sitting in it as the moon comes up, with all of the stars over your head. But I'd stay in the Pond Room again in a heartbeat.

It was just peaceful and relaxing and everything you think of when you think "Hawaii". We'd been to Kauai twice in the past, both times splitting our time between a top-end resort and off the beaten path type places. This was our first trip to Maui, and after leaving Hale Akua we stayed at an amazing resort. We've stayed in the best Disney has to offer on land and at sea, in five star resorts in the Caribbean...and Hale Akua is hands down our #1 favorite of them all. It's been two weeks and we still talk about it with deep sighs. Don't pass it up.

** Before you leave Kahului, be sure to stop at the Whole Foods or Safeway for food items. There's another grocery ten minutes or so up the road in Paia, a natural foods store called Manna Food but they don't have everything and it can be quite pricey. After leaving Paia, it's a 20 minute drive to Hale Akua and you won't have another opportunity to shop. There is nothing down Hana Rd going east.
There are several few decent restaurants in Kahului, several in Paia, but again - none after Huelo. If you're heading out on the road to Hana from Hale Akua, be sure to fill your tank and bring water and snacks.

Room Tip: We enjoyed every aspect of the Pond Room. Rooms in the main house had views of the ocean and were pr...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

Words cannot adequately describe this off the beaten track retreat center/ hotel. Accessible to the hot spots and remote hideaway from it all. I had a room overlooking the ocean with a private bath and study upstairs. The sunrises and sunsets were stunning and a full moon eclipse as well along with the stars shining brightly. The scenic setting and grounds were spectacular. The hot tub and pool were delicious. A full kitchen to use. Lots of books, games, a tv and laundry in the main house if you needed them. The atmosphere was peaceful and idyllic, perfect for contemplation and rest or creative thought. Morning yoga was based on breathing which woke me up for the day. The farm has organic veggies and there is a great organic market in town, along with lots of funky restaurants with great food. A wonderful respite for those who live in the islands or for tourists who don't want to be at the crowded beach spots.Staff was great; stay was perfect.

Room Tip: The staff helps you make the right choice based on your needs.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haiku
Paia Inn Hotel
Maui Ocean Breezes
Maui Ocean Breezes
#2 of 10 in Haiku
5.0 of 5 stars 282 reviews

Been to Hale Akua Garden Farm? Share your experiences!