“Fun enough but not worth the big bucks.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 18 things to do in Haiku
Victoria, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Fun enough but not worth the big bucks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This was my first ever sport fishing trip so maybe others at set up differently. With strike zone we had 12 people "fishing" and several spectators. The sport fishing part is completely non interactive. The rods just sit on the boat with hooks in the water while everyone sits around. If a fish bites then they draw a number(everyone is pre assigned one) and that person gets to real it in. So basically you are paying lots of money to have a 1 in 12 chance of reeling in a fish if the line happens to catch something. We were lucky that a fish was caught so we did all get to take some grey snapper home even though none of our group actually got to partake in the "sport fishing". On the bright side everyone gets to do the bottom fishing and almost everyone caught a small fish to take home. If the sport fishing part is all you want then you might want to go with a different company so at least your odds of getting to reel something in are better. When we booked with a discount place in Lahania we were mis informed, he told it was a max of 6 people and strictly sport fishing and not a mix of sport and bottom.

Maui
“Friendly crew, good fishing, reasonable cost”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

First time bottom fishing and sportfishing in Maui. The 3 man crew were friendly, helpful and shared their knowledge of all of the fish caught. The trip is 6 hrs and includes a light lunch (sandwiches, chips, cookies, soda and water). The crew clean all of the small fish (there were lots) caught and bag them for you to take home. Any large fish caught are filleted and shared among all of the passengers and crew (there were 2 (8 lbs +) grey snapper caught on our trip).

Good value for your money and we would certainly go on this trip again.

Visited December 2012
Altoona, Iowa
“"Wow"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Everything was really great. Caught four fish. Liked going out in the morning only. Afternoons would be hotter and rougher on the ocean.

Everett, Washington
3 attraction reviews
“Yes We Have No Bananas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My daughter and I when out bottom fishing with the Strike Zone crew and really had a great time. The boat trolled as we headed out to bottom fish and we caught 2 Onos that we all shared at the end of the day.
Even though my daughter was with the Old Dude (me) and had a banana on board she caught more bottom fish than any one. We found out that Bananas are bad luck and not to be taken on a fishing boat, let alone eaten. Jay, one of the crew members, would not even touch the peel and used pliers to toss it over board. Well we proved them wrong and had a fun trip.
I would recommend the Strike Zone to anyone looking for a fun fishing trip that is less intense then sports fishing. You might want to bring along a few extra goodies (no Bananas) as the lunch is a little lite but who cares it is all about the fun and fishing.

Lahaina
“Family for Life <3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have been going on the Strike Zone ever since I was about 6. I live on the Beautiful island of Maui, and am blessed to have Uncles and Aunties, and even my father, with the best jobs on the island:) This is one of my favorite things to do, EVER. For me, I am a total mermaid, so I love being on the water and listening to the small waves crashing:) I recommend Strike Zone to people who can follow instructions, get along with others, handle sharing a boat with a possible 19 people, and be OK with the possibility of not catching fish. Fishing is not all about how good you are. It is about how the tides are, how the moon is, and even what mood the fish are in! You have to be OK if you dont catch any fish because you may or may not. If you dont catch anything, enjoy the ride! you have 6-8 lovely hours on the waters in Hawaii! If your there in Whale season, maybe you will see some Humpback Whales, or you might even see some dolphins! Please enjoy the ride on Strike Zone, and remember Aloha, and Kokua:)
- Tyler <3