“Pleasant stay between beach and upcountry” 4 of 5 stars

555 Haiku Road, Haiku, Maui, HI 96708   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Haiku B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Sherbrooke, Quebec
“Pleasant stay between beach and upcountry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed for two days in this relaxed B&B, in April 2012. Sandy was very accommodating and resourceful. I dearly recommend the place but not if you are looking for some fancy place. It is not; and it is not meant to be (and the price goes accordingly). I dearly recommend the place.

Room Tip: Didn't see the other rooms...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We had a lovely experience during our stay in March. Rainy weather made for peaceful nights listening to the rain fall on the banana and palm leaves outside the window. Roosters crow each morning, and for this country girl it felt like home...but in Hawaii!
Sandy is great and it was nice to share stories with our fellow guests. The home and grounds are beautiful and well-kept. Nothing is perfect in a 100+ year old home set in a rainforest, but if you want sterile, air-conditioned and zero character, go to a hotel. For us, this was perfect and we can't wait to stay next year and the next...

Room Tip: The Plumeria room is nice with lots of windows and a good breeze, but close to the roosters. If that...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Sandy was there greet us when we arrived, and bid us adieu when we were off on our journey to see other places in Maui.

We stayed at Haiku so we were close enough to the Haleakala sunrise trip, getting up at 4.15am to arrive at the Crater around 6.15am and the last one in for a parking spot! It was freezing and invigorating to be there amongst around 100 others.

We were also close enough to do the Road to Hana (which is quite doable even for those who are used to driving on the opposite side of the road). The thing was when you got to Hana, I expected to see a Big Welcome you've reached your destination ... guess it's all about the journey and the beautiful scenery you'll see along the way.

For a meal and a drink, you could drop by Paia which was only 5-10 minutes away. Very convenient!

We were very happy with our stay ... I was initially concerned about the "noise" which I read about ... what noise? From memory I did hear roosters crow but that wasn't enough noise to ruin my holiday. The room were comfortable, the breakfasts were filling, and the hostess was accommodating.

If you are looking for a place to stay which gives a Hawaiian vibe, this is the place. So Sandy more success to you!!!

NB the other couples/family also had a very comfortable stay. Haiku Plantation Inn gave out a vibe of "one big happy family"

PS I be posting photos in a short while.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MauiTravels, Owner at Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Aloha and mahalo. We do believe in taking the time to make our guests feel comfortable and at home. We want you to relax and enjoy all that Maui has offer and realize just how valuable your stay is not only to us but for our island. We appreciate all the kind words and friendships we make along the way here at the Inn. We hope you all love Maui as much as we do and make wonderful memories and if we can be a part of those fabulous moments, we have done our job well.

Please just let us know if we can assist while you are here or prior to your arrival.

We just have the best guests!

Mahalo again
Makawao, Hi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I send all visiting family/friends to the Haiku Plantation Inn as the owner is great, the place is great, the grounds are great! (And I have no room for guests.) I was shocked to read the terrible review from "twolargedogs" as everyone I've sent there has absolutely loved it and loved Sandy, the owner. This is a 150 year old (or more) historic plantation house and it's lovely. I've been there inumerable times and have never noticed anything like "twolargedogs" talked about, obviously, or I'd never send my family and friends there...nor would they all love it. As a Maui resident myself, I know that after a lot of rain (which we had in March) mold happens...we all know that and clean it properly and accordingly afterward.Also, when we have big winds (like we did recently), phone land lines go out and there's nothing that can be done about it until downed lines are found and repaired by the telephone company. I also happen to know that the owner is almost always there, but had to make an emergency trip to the Mainland and normally does not have a "fill in". I would discount that review and pay attention to the other reviews, personally! I fully intend to keep sending family and friends there! (I do NOT, by the way, get any compensation whatsoever for sending people there. I send them there because I know they'll be happy there! I have other friends on Maui who also send people there for the same reason.)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I was so happy to stay in this beautiful old redwood home. It is just beautiful. The beds are so comfortable, sleeping was a pleasure. I was in Maui working and have stayed at numerous hotels on the island. However I really wanted quiet and a comfortable bed. That is exactly what I got and then some. The bathroom was clean and elegant. The room had a beautiful antique sleigh bed with the best mattress ever. And the decorations in not only my room but the whole home were so tasteful and authetic hawaiian. I am not sure what the other people were talking about ripped screens and mold, but I never saw any of this and I had to put things into the refrigerator several times. The grounds are absolutly private and beautiful. I recommend if you want a beautiful quiet place to stay, stay at the Haiku Plantation Inn.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
MauiTravels, Owner at Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you for your perspective and honest comments. We do have a lovely home, which is over 150 years old and that is the charm of staying with us. A clean, vintage home, which is truly the oldest standing home on Maui which you can enjoy a lovely stay and experience the real Hawaii.
We do work hard for our guests daily, as well as on the house and grounds to bring a sense of home and comfort to our travelers. Unlike most bed and breakfasts we allow the guests more freedom to explore the home and also use of the main kitchen and not just a microwave and fridge. Mahalo again
Prior Lake, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed here at the end of March with another couple for 5 nights. This was 5 nights too long! When we got there the lady standing in for the owner pretty much was clueless. She handed us the keys for the room and told us when breakfast was. Upon entering the room, at first glance it looked fine. Then we started noticing the stained bed cover and headboard. As we looked in the bathroom, the lack of any maintenance here started to show. The floor was rotting and full of mold! The shower was full of dead bugs! Guess they had enough of this place also!! My favorite feature of the bathroom was the 4 foot height of the shower head. Nothing like kneeling to wash your hair! And I am not 6 feet tall or anything! Over the course of our stay we found multiple creatures within the room. While there are a lot of creatures in a rainforest area, the lack of maintenance of the screens certainly contributed to how many were in the house.

The nice continental breakfast they claim to serve is less than substantial! The table was set for 6 people the first morning, even though there were 12 people staying there. The second morning she managed to set it for 8 people, again with 12 people still staying there. Guess the fill in should learn how to count! Anyway, there was never enough food to feed everyone! One pineapple would be cut up for all guests to share. There would be six yogurts to be shared among the guests. The advertisements indicate homemade muffins, jellies, etc. but we never saw anything like this. Went to grab some water from a Brita pitcher in the refrigerator and just happened to lift the cover off! It looked like a science project! Needless to say, I skipped the water!

The inn itself was very much in need of some maintenance. The screen doors that the guests used were either broken or the screen was torn. Windows needed to be held up with sticks and the screens had holes in them. The grounds of the Inn were very nice. And the location of the inn was good.

Apparently things are tight there as well, since the fill in lady had to borrow my phone multiple times to make phone calls as there were no other working phones there. How does one run a business with no working phone? We had experienced this phone issue when trying to make our final payment but accepted the answer that there had recently been a storm and the phone was not working.

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
We just want to let not only these guests, but everyone know we take action on any maintenance issue immediately. Unfortunately during this time period, a guest did lock both the screens from the inside while they were here at home. Others not in their party, found it necessary to make a couple inch cut in the screen to unlock the door. They felt extremely bad, notified us right away and we called for repairs.

Since this is such a rare home. it takes a very skilled carpenter to rebuild the frames for any screen. so a typical screen company or general carpenter can't handle the job. Our carpenter completed all the repair work swiftly. The screen doors look lovely! He also went around the entire house and touched up any screen or window frame that needed even slightest of attention.

None of our bathrooms have a 4 ft shower, nor rotting floors. We did have a huge rain storm travel through for several days, actually weeks and even golf ball size hail for the first time on record.. just before these guests arrived so many of the local services including internet and phone and electricity were up and down for several days. However, it was not just with us but island wide and even state wide.

If you read the info on other B&Bs on Maui most do not serve breakfast, and those that do have a one time seating. We set a lovely table, and prepare enough for the earlier risers first and then replenish servings to keep the items fresh. I do believe this is what these guests saw and did not realize, that we continue to serve as guests arrive. This morning for example we had, banana bread, purple sweet potato pastry, kashi cereal, blueberry bagles, cream cheese, fresh cut pineapple and papaya, juice, milk, coffee and jams, and maple brown cow yogurt parfaits made with mixed trail with dried fruit and whole nuts. Some of these items are best kept in the fridge until the guest is at the table. Again we are not allowed by law nor any other traditional style B&B, away from a resort or commercial area, to serve hot food.

Fridge: Our guest fridge is located in the lobby, and does provide a location where guests may store personal beverages, food items or bottled waters etc. Possibly these guests did not realize they were accessing my personal fridge, which is well maintained, and is home for a britta pitcher. It does use a charcoal filter system, and small particles at times can be seen in the fill tank. which is normal for a britta. The pitcher does get cleaned and maintained daily.

I am truly sorry these guests did not enjoy their stay in such a wonderful and gracious old home. It is well over 100 years old and is very rare here on Maui. As with everything here in such a tropic environment , even mega hotels, sometimes you just have to see the beauty and not focus on small minute things because Maui is truly a rural and isolated area with limited supplies and services. Thus we have power outages, phone service interruption, low fuel stock at times, heck Hana does not even get cel service. It is part of our charm and a main reason why visitors are attracted to come here. The culture is different, the people friendly, and the pace slower as well. Please come and enjoy!
South Gate, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

True O’hana

As a travel consultant I have been to the Islands many times and have always stayed at Resort. But now that I have found this B & B, this is where I will be staying form now when I visit Maui.
From the Vintage Hawaiian décor of the house to the beautiful grounds, it was hard for me to leave.
The staff was so friendly it was more like family, asking if I needed anything and was welcome to anything I needed or wanted.
I loved every minute of my stay at Haiku and can’t wait for my next stay in June when I bring my family for a much longer stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!