“Bring heaven to the earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haiku
Maui Retreat
September Special!
Ranked #9 of 10 Haiku B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Mateo, California
“Bring heaven to the earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Maui Eco Retreat is the most peaceful and harmony place we have ever visited before. We are really proud of the land owner: Kutira and Raphael who have contributed more than 20 years to create this sacred unique place for our human-being. It seems to bring heaven to the earth! Amazing phenomena! Our family spent whole week to stay at the Thai Hale cottage which is totally made by bamboo, visited the temples, the ocean trail, beautiful waterfalls and enjoyed sunrise and sunset just in front of oceanview. What a serenity and calm. We also love their Eco-friendly enviroment and solar energy systems. It provide enough hot water and illumine lighting. The retreat only use the nature resourse to supply their facilities and try their best to return back to the mother of earth. In order to protect our limited resourse, Maui Eco retreat show us many good habits and living style. We learned a lot from the host of retreat. Deeply appreciate from our hearts. We believe we will come back sooner or later and strongly recommend to all of our friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Utica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Maui Eco Retreat is truely paradise on earth! Kutira and Raphael have worked their life's sustainable mission into this sacred land. Completely off the grid, the solar energy and underground water heating system (always more than enough hot water) , along with their bamboo farm and housing is in alignment with the earth's green movement, and they offered this long before it became popular amongst main stream. Maui Retreat offers the tranquility and visual picturesque that few places in the world can aspire to - and with such abundance! Language seems trite in trying to verbalize this amazing experience - watch their video. From doing yoga at sunrise, to visitiing the temples, the ocean, lagoons, and the incredible waterfalls, Maui Retreat is the most profound and spiritual place I have ever visited. You feel it from the moment you arrive and for me, it has been life changing. We stayed at the Thai Hale Cottage overlooking the ocean. Soo healing! Woke up to exotic birds and majestic sunrise. If you are seeking true peace and serenity, Maui Retreat is the place to go! And if you look closely, you may catch a glimpse of a whale or two!

Room Tip: Tell the owners what you are looking for - they will steer you in the right direction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Maui Eco Retreat was a truly unique, peaceful, inspiring, and wonderful place to have stayed, albeit if only for our brief, three-day trip. The property is stunning; a beautiful, eco-friendly home with amazing artifacts from all over the world, sitting on lush, undisturbed greenery. The view of the ocean is incredible, and upon arrival, our hosts graciously provided us with a map of their land and their full support to explore it (with the foresight to tread carefully).

We stayed in the Hawaiian room – sunny, clean, and comfortable – and were woken up by an assembly of birds the first morning and rainfall the next. The other guests at the Retreat were very friendly and pleasant, and everyone seemed to be enjoying their individual experiences.

Situated off of the celebrated Hana Hightway, the Maui Eco Retreat was a perfect destination for our first trip to Maui. On our way to and from the Retreat, we could easily stop by the nearby town, Paia, for any necessities. Within 20 minutes or so of leaving the Retreat, we had our choice of restaurants and grocery stores.

If it’s your first trip to the Maui Eco Retreat, we strongly advise you to arrive before the sun sets, as driving to the Retreat in darkness can be quite intimidating – especially if you’re not completely familiar with the directions. Otherwise, it’s a perfect destination to completely unwind and relax, absorb all of the beauty of Maui, while being gentle and respectful to our planet.

Though we’re now back in the grind of New York City, and many thousands of miles away from the beautiful island, we take solace in knowing that such a haven exists and we can come back to visit someday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Retreat for all 8 days of our Maui vacation at the end of January and couldn't have been happier with our choice. We stayed in the "Bamboo Temple" and found it to be a perfect Hawaiian hideaway - very secluded and peaceful; excellent kitchen; astounding view out to sea past palms and lush greenery; and the private outdoor shower just off the bathroom was a bonus treat. Yes, the Retreat is a bit of a drive from major centers (about 35 minutes from Kahului) but part of the fun of a Maui visit is exploring the whole island anyway so we didn't find it the least bit inconvenient and enjoyed the trips back and forth. In the few days since we've been back home in Calgary, we've both enthusiastically recommended the Retreat to numbers of our personal friends. We are experienced travellers and even own a well-rated boutique hotel in Kimberley, British Columbia so we keenly appreciate the care and effort that the Retreat's owners have put into its development. Go with an open mind and an open heart and enjoy the blessings the property has to offer.
Ted and Val, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bamboo Temple and highly recommend it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Middletown, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am a 57 year old, EMMY award winning writer, producer and director. I have been blessed to travel throughout the world, and stayed in many beautiful places. The Hawaiian islands are a second home for me, and I know four of the islands quite well. This is a prologue to what I want the readers to know: The Maui Retreat in Huelo is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The views are exquisite, and it is a profound experience to be so close to the true nature of Maui while staying in very comfortable rooms.

My girlfriend and i are especially impressed with the owners of the property, Kutira and Raphael. Their love of the land, and devotion to sustainability is an inspiration. I urge anyone wanting a truly eco-friendly experience in the Hawaiian Islands to choose this option first.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

A unique place to be isolated in Maui. The owners and pets are friendly. Not the place I would have chosen for myself, but I suspect my expectations were different than my companion. Certainly off the beaten path and I'm sure it serves a spiritual purpose for most who visit it. Not that my expectations were high. I knew it wouldn't be some resort. Guess I wasn't expecting a hike to the ocean in Maui. But once you get to the ocean, you want to stay a while. My problem is I didn't sleep very well due to the mattress and mostly the croaking frogs from the pond outside our window all night. Still, the place has stunning views and I'm sure very peaceful to most people who appreciate this kind of thing.

Room Tip: Avoid the Lotus room if the sounds of nature keep you awake.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ingaro, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had a wonderful time at Maui Eco Retreat. The beauty and spiritual presence in both nature and all that Kutira and Raphael offers is amazing. People are very caring and friendly and I had many inspiring encounters. This is a place where I been able to get total relaxation. I enjoyed swimming in one of the waterfalls in the sunrise (only a few minutes walk from the mainhouse), meditating in music temple on the high cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, walking among lovely statues, rainforest plants and the oriental-inspired houses with their carefully considered details, hiking down to the most beautiful and different ocean spots and follow the river to a huge waterfall. Raphael sometimes have music work shops for guests that I highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!