“The 8th Wonder of the World!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haiku
Maui Retreat
September Special!
Ranked #8 of 9 Haiku B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Utica, New York
“The 8th Wonder of the World!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Maui Eco Retreat is truely paradise on earth! Kutira and Raphael have worked their life's sustainable mission into this sacred land. Completely off the grid, the solar energy and underground water heating system (always more than enough hot water) , along with their bamboo farm and housing is in alignment with the earth's green movement, and they offered this long before it became popular amongst main stream. Maui Retreat offers the tranquility and visual picturesque that few places in the world can aspire to - and with such abundance! Language seems trite in trying to verbalize this amazing experience - watch their video. From doing yoga at sunrise, to visitiing the temples, the ocean, lagoons, and the incredible waterfalls, Maui Retreat is the most profound and spiritual place I have ever visited. You feel it from the moment you arrive and for me, it has been life changing. We stayed at the Thai Hale Cottage overlooking the ocean. Soo healing! Woke up to exotic birds and majestic sunrise. If you are seeking true peace and serenity, Maui Retreat is the place to go! And if you look closely, you may catch a glimpse of a whale or two!

Room Tip: Tell the owners what you are looking for - they will steer you in the right direction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Maui Eco Retreat was a truly unique, peaceful, inspiring, and wonderful place to have stayed, albeit if only for our brief, three-day trip. The property is stunning; a beautiful, eco-friendly home with amazing artifacts from all over the world, sitting on lush, undisturbed greenery. The view of the ocean is incredible, and upon arrival, our hosts graciously provided us with a map of their land and their full support to explore it (with the foresight to tread carefully).

We stayed in the Hawaiian room – sunny, clean, and comfortable – and were woken up by an assembly of birds the first morning and rainfall the next. The other guests at the Retreat were very friendly and pleasant, and everyone seemed to be enjoying their individual experiences.

Situated off of the celebrated Hana Hightway, the Maui Eco Retreat was a perfect destination for our first trip to Maui. On our way to and from the Retreat, we could easily stop by the nearby town, Paia, for any necessities. Within 20 minutes or so of leaving the Retreat, we had our choice of restaurants and grocery stores.

If it’s your first trip to the Maui Eco Retreat, we strongly advise you to arrive before the sun sets, as driving to the Retreat in darkness can be quite intimidating – especially if you’re not completely familiar with the directions. Otherwise, it’s a perfect destination to completely unwind and relax, absorb all of the beauty of Maui, while being gentle and respectful to our planet.

Though we’re now back in the grind of New York City, and many thousands of miles away from the beautiful island, we take solace in knowing that such a haven exists and we can come back to visit someday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Retreat for all 8 days of our Maui vacation at the end of January and couldn't have been happier with our choice. We stayed in the "Bamboo Temple" and found it to be a perfect Hawaiian hideaway - very secluded and peaceful; excellent kitchen; astounding view out to sea past palms and lush greenery; and the private outdoor shower just off the bathroom was a bonus treat. Yes, the Retreat is a bit of a drive from major centers (about 35 minutes from Kahului) but part of the fun of a Maui visit is exploring the whole island anyway so we didn't find it the least bit inconvenient and enjoyed the trips back and forth. In the few days since we've been back home in Calgary, we've both enthusiastically recommended the Retreat to numbers of our personal friends. We are experienced travellers and even own a well-rated boutique hotel in Kimberley, British Columbia so we keenly appreciate the care and effort that the Retreat's owners have put into its development. Go with an open mind and an open heart and enjoy the blessings the property has to offer.
Ted and Val, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bamboo Temple and highly recommend it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Middletown, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am a 57 year old, EMMY award winning writer, producer and director. I have been blessed to travel throughout the world, and stayed in many beautiful places. The Hawaiian islands are a second home for me, and I know four of the islands quite well. This is a prologue to what I want the readers to know: The Maui Retreat in Huelo is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The views are exquisite, and it is a profound experience to be so close to the true nature of Maui while staying in very comfortable rooms.

My girlfriend and i are especially impressed with the owners of the property, Kutira and Raphael. Their love of the land, and devotion to sustainability is an inspiration. I urge anyone wanting a truly eco-friendly experience in the Hawaiian Islands to choose this option first.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

A unique place to be isolated in Maui. The owners and pets are friendly. Not the place I would have chosen for myself, but I suspect my expectations were different than my companion. Certainly off the beaten path and I'm sure it serves a spiritual purpose for most who visit it. Not that my expectations were high. I knew it wouldn't be some resort. Guess I wasn't expecting a hike to the ocean in Maui. But once you get to the ocean, you want to stay a while. My problem is I didn't sleep very well due to the mattress and mostly the croaking frogs from the pond outside our window all night. Still, the place has stunning views and I'm sure very peaceful to most people who appreciate this kind of thing.

Room Tip: Avoid the Lotus room if the sounds of nature keep you awake.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ingaro, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had a wonderful time at Maui Eco Retreat. The beauty and spiritual presence in both nature and all that Kutira and Raphael offers is amazing. People are very caring and friendly and I had many inspiring encounters. This is a place where I been able to get total relaxation. I enjoyed swimming in one of the waterfalls in the sunrise (only a few minutes walk from the mainhouse), meditating in music temple on the high cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, walking among lovely statues, rainforest plants and the oriental-inspired houses with their carefully considered details, hiking down to the most beautiful and different ocean spots and follow the river to a huge waterfall. Raphael sometimes have music work shops for guests that I highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed with my husband recently at the Maui retreat.I ve been a travel agent for 15 years and traveled all over the world to retreat and i met many spiritual people and nice places!
These 2 owners are not what you expect.THE FIRST THING THEY ASK IS PAYMENT AND SHOWS YOU ALL THE RULES AND RESTRICTIONS which are from another world.!I consider myself ecolo but not flushing the toilet and putting your toilet paper in the garbage when you share with other guests is totally disgusting.Shower are hot or cold , super cold and you can only take a short shower! It is full of rules and not what you expect. No bathroom in some rooms ( and they forget to tell you this over the tel when you book!?)
The road is hard to get to, you need a good steady car or a 4x 4 when raining
The ground is nice yes but the rooms are disappointing you hear your neighbor get up in the midddle of the nights if they go pee cause walls areso thin... !
The owner hardly greeted us( the lady ) never introduced hersellf.they charge you a 25 dollars a day for cleaning fee when it is not so hard to clean a room with no bathroom! imagine after 7 days they make great money with cleaning fee only! and the rooms are not that cheap for a retreat that is ecological and green! GREEN for dollar???
I am sorry but to me it is not worth it .You can be "ecolo"but you should not expect guests to pay 190 usd a night with tax and live their lives according to the owners standard
I could go on and on but honestly there are many great other places in Maui with great prices, "green"environment and great service
I AM AN EXPERIENCED TRAVEL AGENT AND i dont like people who brags that they know all the spiritual people who stayed there( as they say) .I prefer humble people and more welcoming!

Good luck, judge for yourself but think twice before giving your credit card( and half of the bill in cash... why? i guess you can figure this out....)
Namaste
A TRAVEL AGENT VISITING HAWAII

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kutira, Owner at Maui Retreat, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
We are sorry to hear that the person below was unhappy with our place. During our travelers stay, we have our office manager and other staff members available for our travelers concerns and needs. This is the first we heard of this experience. We would like to clarify some of the writing.

First of all I have never met those guests personally and to be “judged” without meeting them says a lot. My husband takes great joy of welcoming each traveler at any arrival time, even late in the night and share about the land and to make them feel comfortable.

Our rules are simply that we ask the people to be careful when walking our land and we give them the ‘mantra ~ motto’, “Feel your Feet on the Ground”, as we have fascinating, elaborate hiking trails and we want to make sure they know they are embarking on a wild adventure. We teach them how to compost: to separate garbage from food so we can feed the chickens and the worms and recycle the rest. We believe that these guidelines are vital to host our guests safely and comfortably. From past experiences over 15 years our guests appreciate these teachings and information that is often seen as a highlight.
We have a website that gives thorough explanation on everything; which rooms have private bathrooms and showers and which rooms have shared facilities.
In regards to the “daily cleaning fee”, we do require a ONE time cleaning service, not DAILY. Again all is written down on our website as we have no intention to invite guests to our land that have not taken their time to read what we have to share. There are no hidden messages, and no misleading information.
We will consider making a German translation for those who are not fluent in English to read our confirmation letter. We do accept the remaining 50% balance to be paid by check within 30 days of their arrival, cashier’s checks or travelers checks. We do give the option to pay in cash for their convenience. Again, this is all written in our confirmation letter.
We understand that throwing used toilet paper in the rubbish bin is not in everyone’s daily routine, but we do focus on self-sustainability. We do allow the toilet to be flushed each time; I’m not sure where this conclusion of not flushing the toilet, derived from. Yes, we are off the grid and our ways of living are, eco-friendly and ask our guests to conserve energy by turning the lights off when not in use (as should we all, regardless of how attainable energy is) and be aware of running water taps. The water works fine, its instant water heating so we can have hot showers instantly. (We do encourage our guests to conserve while staying here, not because we save money, we are very reasonable in our room rates. It is the principle, of bringing awareness to how we consume our natural resources; fresh air, water, organic soil, by protecting our environment)
It is true; our place is off the beaten path, but nothing extremely dangerous or challenging for any normal rental compact car to endure. I myself drive a 10 year old Honda 4 door and have never experienced an issue driving in and out of our property, nor have I heard any of our guests having problems. I must say, that after reading her review, I feel sad knowing that we don’t have guests who leave here happy and tranquil. We cannot stress enough how important it is for everyone to read our website and our in-depth correspondence to make sure this is the place you are comfortable staying in. Please, future guests and trip advisor travelers, make sure you read all of our testimonials and website before making the decision to come stay on our beautiful land.
We are grateful, to have our guests here where we can share our land on this magnificent piece of earth that we tend with love and care.

Been to Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!