My husband and I stayed at this hotel in early June as a part of our honeymoon. We are generally budget travelers, so this was a treat for us. To address the mixed reviews on this website - it is all about expectations. We were expecting a stay far better than we've ever experienced, and we definitely got it. Of course, we've never stayed at a Four Seasons before.
We arrived by ferry to the dock, which was under construction. It was pretty obvious to us who to drop our bags off with, which is fortunate since the construction made it difficult to get around. Getting onto the shuttle and checking into the hotel was very smooth, included the guided walk to our room. We definitely needed it, we would have gotten completely lost trying to find it on our own the first time.
Our room was the very last room in the Starfish wing on the first floor (2722, I think?). We had made reservations for a garden view, but our room did have some view of the ocean from the lanai. But it's not like we really needed that view, since I really enjoyed our private plumeria tree, bougainvillea, and view of the trees outside the property. Others may not like the long walk to some of the rooms, but my husband and I loved it! We felt so private, being way on the end, and it really let us enjoy the grounds, including our shortcut through the Hawaiian garden. I felt sorry for the people whose rooms were right on the gardens - no privacy at all.
Both my husband and I really enjoyed the service at the pool (otter pops in addition to the usual stuff!) and at the beach. Again, we're not used to this kind of service, so we had no expectations going in. But we did enjoy it very much! The free use of snorkel gear was definitely a plus.
We also took the shuttle to enjoy the Lodge at Koele - horseback riding (his first time, and my first in about 15 years), lunch, and exploring the grounds. He didn't like it as much, he didn't think it was "Hawaii" enough (Brooklyn boy), but I loved it. From growing up on Oahu, I have great memories of camping in the mountains, so I love that whole "upcountry" feel.
The other shuttle stop was Lana`i City, where we stopped by for lunch one day. I really wanted to see what it was like in the town, since I'm so used to the busy city life of Honolulu. I wasn't sure how the food would be, not sure if it would all be haole-style, run by mainland transplants for the tourist crowd. Not that that's a bad thing, it just wasn't what I was looking for as a former local girl missing her local food. Well, I was pleasantly surprised! We had some yummy Filipino plate lunch at Cafe 565, with strawberry Icees (strawberry flavor is impossible for me to find where I live now, but it's all over Hawaii). We also planned on having a local-style breakfast at one of the other plate lunch places on our last morning, but decided against it because of our limited time. That was my only regret of the trip, should have gotten some portuguese sausage, eggs, and rice!
Overall, we had a wonderful time on Lana`i. We got exactly what we wanted out of it - a relaxing, laid back honeymoon at a hotel with facilities and service better than we've ever experienced before.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay is the quintessential Hawaiian beach resort. Overlooking a protected marine preserve, Manele Bay is a romantic retreat with championship golf and some of the finest offerings of water sports in the world. Al fresco dining options abound, from Pacific Rim to Italian cuisine, while spinner dolphins and whale watching are sights to behold. Pampering spa treatments and pool and beach side amenities make for a perfect day under the sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Amex, Otel, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Agoda so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Four Seasons Resort Lana`i At Manele Bay Hotel Lanai City
- 4 Seasons Resort Lana`i At Manele Bay
- Four Seasons Manele Bay
- Four Seasons Lanai City
- Lanai City Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Resort Lana'i At Manele Bay Lanai, Hawaii