“Very Very Very Good Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Third Night Free
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“Very Very Very Good Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this Four Seasons for a week in mid October for our honeymoon, and it was an amazing trip that surpassed our expectations by a mile.

We originally had planned to stay at the Four Seasons Maui, but when our travel agent informed us that they were undergoing construction and that the main pool might be closed, we chose this property instead, and we could not have been happier.

The resort is one of two on the entire island, the other being closed for renovations and upgrades to another Four Seasons (The Lodge at Keole)

We arrived in the early afternoon and were taken to an upgraded one bedroom suite (we originally booked an Oceanfront room). While the room was great, and very large with a separate bedroom, I felt that it was a bit too far from the main building/pool area. I politely asked to be shown any rooms that were closer, and the woman who was helping us brought us back to the reception area and showed us a map of the property and said “where would you like to be?” I pointed out a few room choices, which she looked up on the computer and we were shown to an Oceanfront room that couldn’t have been more perfect. It was a corner room, ground floor, with a direct view of the ocean and close to the pool. It was smaller than the suite, but had a perfect location, just steps from the pool but far enough away that you couldn’t hear any pool noise at all (not that there was any, we only saw about 3 kids the whole time). For reference, it was room #2308, and it would be tough to get me to stay in another room when we go back. (Have them show you this room if you go, if it is available, and if you are already paying for Oceanfront)

The rooms are very nice, typical FS standards with large bathrooms, double sinks, separate shower and tub, and private water closet. Flat screen TV, empty fridge (which you can fill on your own, a nice alternative to 12 dollar Heinekens) and all the usual amenities.

We had a great package of free buffet breakfast (not including tax, gratuity, but which saved us about $60 a day) one round of golf or one 80 minute massage per person, per day, which was amazing. I am a golf nut, and my wife is a spa nut.

I played both courses, the Challenge at Manele, and the Experience at Koele, both of which were great (although the Challenge has the back nine closed for renovation, which was a bummer because those are the holes that are right on the coast, so you play the front nine twice for 18) The courses were empty when we were there, and I could get 18 done in 2 hours, maybe being waved through 1 foursome the entire round. The Experience is the nicer of the two, and I just loved it.

My wife loved the spa and all the different treatments they offered, she was in there everyday.

Aside from spa and golf, we lounged by the pool reading and playing backgammon, went swimming in the ocean, and basically did whatever we felt like. Even though this is the only resort on the island, we never once felt bored or trapped. If you have young kids I might see that being a bit of a problem.

The restaurants are very good, although a bit pricey. You have only one alternative from the FS, Henry Clay’s at the Hotel Lanai, which we heard was very good. The Italian restaurant was my least favorite, but not bad by any stretch. Although once the other FS opens, your choices will double.

One day we took a 3 hour island tour that the front desk booked for us, and we both found it to be very interesting and well worth the effort. Bruce, our tour guide, was the nicest guy and we learned a ton about the island and the people who live there. You don’t need a rental car when you are there (there is a shuttle that goes into “town” and up to the other golf course) but you would definitely miss out on some history if you don’t take the tour. Say hi to Bruce from the newlyweds from San Francisco if you go.

We felt that overall the service was great. They have a very friendly, sincere, and genuine staff that never once dropped the ball.

We went over to the 4S Maui for a night, just for a change of pace, and liked it, but we were both very glad to get back to Lanai. It just has a different feel to it, and once all the renovations are done at the other property, we’ll be back for sure.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

WOW! I can't say enough about this resort. We have been to nearly every island in Hawaii, and Lanai is the closet you come to tropical paradise. From the minute we arrived, it was heaven on earth. It's the small touches: a member of the front desk met us at the front door, coming off their airport shuttle, she gave us a brief tour and escorted us to our room. Once in the room, we did the registration and received our keys ~ no need to stop by the front desk.

Our room was a full ocean view, and absolutely gorgeous, with also a view of the bay. The poolside service was wonderful, staff came by regularly with cool towels, water/lemonade, Otter Pops, sliced pineapple, Evian spritzes. Aaaahhhh. Staff on the beach equally attentive. Fun to watch dolphins from shore, and other guests swam out to join them. Food in every restaurant fantastic and memorable. Tall, two story lobby with comfy sofas to lounge, read, play games. Great bar on second story to have a cocktail before dinner, or play billards, darts, shuffleboard.

Very isolated. Absolutely perfect for honeymooners and romantic getaways. People with young children (under 3) seemed to enjoy it, but I think older kids would get bored. It's so quiet, they may draw a lot of attention.

My husband and I LOVED this property, amazing.

Stayed October 2006
cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

The hotel is so so very pleasant. All the staff is very nice. Make sure you walk and walk the gardens, they are so pretty. Food is very fine GREAT STEAKS. Time there goes so fast. A very very nice resort.

Stayed October 2006
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

We love Lana'i. We live in Honolulu and we''ve been to all of the major islands. This was our first trip to Lana'i and we were wonderfully surprised. Lana'i is owned almost entirely by one single owner and that owner has made a point of keeping Lana'i's rural, small town atmosphere intact. Lana'i has a quiet, relaxed way of living difficult to find even in Hawaii.

We enjoyed the resort's amenities, stunning scenery, and phenomenal restaurants. The food here is as good as anywhere on the mainland. (I say this after having worked extensively in the food and wine industry in New York.) We also swam with dolphins right in the bay in front of the hotel!

• Liked — Stunning location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Lanai, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

We felt like royalty at this resort! Can't wait to go back next year...

Staff: Greeted us with shell leis upon arrival and gave a nice tour of the grounds on the way to our room. We booked a Garden View, but were surprised to see the ocean as we looked to the right from our lanai. We arrived in the evening and all the tiki torches were lit and the sounds of the waterfalls instantly relaxed us. We ordered room service twice and both times, the staff members would tell us interesting things about the island -- so helpful! Everyone was very friendly and made sure our every need was met.

Room: Spacious and clean. White linens with yellow accents. The bathroom was huge with a large tub, glass shower & ample counter space. The lanai was incredible! There was an oversized wicker loveseat at one end that you could literally sleep on and listen to the waves every night. Both times we ordered room service, we ate on the lanai. The only improvement I would suggest is the carpeting in the room had a raised pattern that was worn down and stained. It would look nicer to have a darker carpet to hide the stains. Not a big deal.

Restaurants: We ate the buffet breakfast every morning at Hulopo'e Court and it was super. Lots of variety. I have never seen raspberries that HUGE - yum! Ocean Grille was delightful -- try the gazpacho. Ihilani was fine dining at its best. Let's just say we never went hungry.

Beach: We had it all to ourselves! It never seemed crowded. The tidal pools on the far side of Hulopo'e Bay are so much fun to explore. We spent hours looking at the critters and even snorkeling in the largest one. Yes, we also saw the dolphins! As soon as I hit the record button on the camcorder, they put on quite a show for us.

Lana'i City: Wish I could live there! What a nice little town to raise a family. The people we talked to were very friendly. There are some neat shops and restaurants too. Reminds me of a little Colorado mountain town. Be sure to check out Mike Carroll's Gallery near Dole Park. He is a wonderful artist. Mike & his wife are great to visit with about Lana'i.

Activities: So much to do! We literally ran out of time. This island is for the adventurous. Check out my trip report on the Lana'i Forum to find out more.

Awesome experience -- Fantastic Hotel -- We will be back!

• Liked — It felt like a secluded paradise!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay as long as you can!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

We stayed here from 9/13-9/18. It was very quiet and peaceful. We booked an ocean view room and were taken to a wing that we didn't care for. It was a ground floor room with the next room to the next wing only about ten feet away. We would have had to keep our shutters shut for any privacy. We asked to be moved and they upgraded us to an ocean front room right next to the presidential suite/Ali'i suite. This room had spectacular views of Hulope'e Bay. The lanai had a huge yellow striped day bed/ sofa, a rug and a table and two chairs made from wicker. It was huge and comfortable. Each day we would watch the many surfers doing their stunts upon huge waves. Our view was sheer heaven.

The newly refurbished rooms are quite lovely. The walls are a pale yellow and the bedskirt is in a bright floral. The headboard was done in a two poster pineapple motif. We also had a wicker desk and two upholstered chairs. They also have 40" plasma television in the room. The room was very large. It also had a fridge and coffee maker area. We were very surprised to find that instead of the coffee grinder found in other Four Seasons, they had pre-made packets of lousy 10% Kona blend coffee.

The bathroom was marble with seperate shower and water closet. It was very spacious. Of course they had the usual L'Occitane ammenities and big, fluffy towels and robes.

Everyone we encountered were very friendly. Although we wern't called by name, we always recieved a cheerful aloha. We ate mostly in room and the people who delivered our meals were fabulous. We felt a genuine warmth from them. When going to another hotel or island from Maui we always go to Mr. Wine in Lahaina and get the wines we like. We are wine snobes and usually hate the wines on resort menus. When we dine in room we know we have the wines we love and don't have to settle. The food was wonderful. We didn't have one bad meal. My husband is going to turn into an Ahi Tuna from all the sashimi and Ahi steaks he ate. If we wanted something from the menu's in another restaurant, it wasn't a problem. The front desk also gives out fish food to feed the hundreds of koi swimming in the many ponds on the grounds. We looked forward to feeding them twice a day.

The pool area was great. The loungers are padded and have pillows attached. There is always someone to set up your chair right when you need them. They come around often to bring water, fruit, evian spritzes (we find these to be silly) and glasses cleaning. One day we were two of six people at the pool. We were told that the hotel was at 20% occupancy. I love when a hotel is near empty. There was only one other couple on our floor. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.

We went horseback riding at the Koele Stables. Wow, what a ride. For 1 1/2 hours we rode beautiful trails through ironwood groves and had views of the ocean and the island. The people who took us on the ride with two other women were awesome. They told what all the flora and fauna were named and gave all kinds of trivia about the island. It was the first time I have ever ridden and now I can't wait to do it again. I had the biggest horse of everyone and I am tiny. I was really scared, but he turned out to be very gentle and even started falling asleep on the trail. His name was Dallas. I felt very secure on him.

Hulope beach was breathtaking. It reminded me of what Maui must have looked lke thirty years ago. It has a wide expansive beach with a grove of palm tree's growng right out of the sand. There are many picnic tables, grills and showers. You can walk along a rocky peninsula with beautiful trails for some of the best views I have ever seen. At the end I looked across and there is sweeheart rock right across another small bay. The island is sort of desert like in some areas and very lush in others. You barely see any cars. We took the shuttle up to Lanai City. The name is very decieving because it is actually a very tiny little town. Ther are a few gallerys, a couple of stores and a few other shops. It's really quite quaint. We walked down some side streets which are residential and the locals all said hello and told us to have a great day. The island is the most friendly I have ever been to. One old local asked us to sit down at a picnic table with him. He talked a lot of story with us. It was really fun.

If you like a very quiet, laid back feel to an island, then this is the one for you. Extremely friendly people, stunningly beautiful beaches, very few cars and luxurious accomodations. What more could we ask for?

• Liked — Small, Friendly resort
  • Disliked — Cost Of Food
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring own wine/snacks
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Durango CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

We just returned from our stay on Lanai at the Manele Bay resort. This is now our favorite resort on the islands. Until now, the Kea Lani on Maui was our favorite. Our room had a full ocean view and was spacious. The bath room is large and really special too. Seperate glass shower from the soaking tub. Double sinks and really nice toiletries.
I was a bit surprised however to find as many families with young children. I was hoping for a bit quieter experiance by the pool. I big plus would be if they added another children's pool, or just designate one as a quiet pool. I like kids, don't get me wrong, but I find the problem isn't with the kids, it is the lack of discipline by the parents. Screaming children are not attractive anywhere, especially in an upscale resort. As for the restaurants: The food was very good, and pricey as well. but we expected this. Again children crying at the table, and parents just walking them around the restaurant in an attempt to quiet them. Note to parents like this: No one wants to hear your childen cry at dinner. Get them out of the restaurant until they quiet down. If I am paying 175.00 for dinner, it would be nice to enjoy it in peace. I don't want to dwell on this, I realize this is not the resorts fault. the place was stunning. The staff was wonderful and attentive. Puna at the pool was just great. Everyone was friendly. They really take care of you, and that was what we were looking for.
Can't wait to go again. When I do go again, it will be after labor day.

• Liked — Quality and location
  • Disliked — No quiet pool
  • Tips/Secrets — for quiet romantic time, book during the scool year.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay? Share your experiences!