“Unbelievable !!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston
“Unbelievable !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

In April of 2005, I suprised my wife with a 5 night stay at the Manele Bay Hotel prior to our stay in Kihei for two weeks.
Yet, I was the one who was pleasantly and gratefully suprised with the time we spent at Manele Bay.
Our room was Deluxe Ocean Front, waking up each morning to the sound of sea waves breaking on the rocks below our second floor lanai. Our afternoons relaxing and watching the dolphins swimming not to far out of sight was amazing.
Our experience was one that we both enjoyed so much. We even named our daughter (born April '07) after one of the servers who regularly greeted us each afternoon while we sat looking over the bay. The staff treated us better than we could have expected, and we continue to use Manele Bay Hotel as our touch stone for all our travel experiences.

• Liked — Luxury
  • Tips/Secrets — Relax and enjoy
  • Stayed April 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Yorba Linda, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniverary at the Four Seasons in Lanai. We are frequent Hawaii visitors, but this was our first time on the island of Lanai. It is truly a step back in time. Everything you have heard about the quiet, little town ambiance of the island and the beautiful Four Seasons properties is true.

The best thing is the staff at the 4S. They are simply wonderful and very helpful. Our room was "to die for." We had reserved an ocean front and were upgraded to a prime ocean front. When we walked into our room, it just took my breath away -- it was a first floor corner room with floor to ceiling windows and what a gorgeous view. A chilled bottle of champagne, fresh fruit and candy was sitting on our table. Our agent had let 4S know of our anniversary. Our bed was so comfortable (king size pillows!). My husband said it was better than our own. The food, spa, golf, 4x4 jeep trip, the Lodge were great.

And, yes, we saw pods of dolphins several times that week. The last morning we were there, as we sat on our lanai, the dolphins were everywhere. Several snorkelers were out there swimming with them. It appeared the dolphins enjoyed frolicking with their human friends. What fun.

My husband and I both work long hours, and we went to Lanai to relax and unwind. It was very easy to do that anywhere on the island, EXCEPT around the hotel pool area. I'm a mother and grandmother and love children. But, when I go on a vacation to relax, the last thing I want to hear is screaming kids jumping in and out of the pool. Some even bring their own inflatable innertubes. You get 3 and 4 innertubes into that small pool and that's it folks. I never want to hear Marco Polo again.

In any event, we certainly were thankful we had the opportunity to visit Lanai and the beautiful Four Seasons. We would like to return to Lanai, but it might help to not schedule vacation during Summer or Spring breaks.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

Four Seasons Manele disappointed.

Frequent Hawaii visitors -- Mauna Kea on the big island and Kapalua Bay Hotel on Maui (now demolished) our past favorites -- but had never been to Lanai, and looked forward to snorkeling the celebrated beach and enjoying calm, quiet and comfort.

Problems with the Four Seasons on Lanai :

(1) Drinks and meals are over-priced, even by five star resort standards, and quality mediocre. (2) Only elaborate evening meals possible. (3) Stores in Lanai City too far away for snacks and drinks. (4) Many guests (especially in 20s and 30s) hang around pool, not beach, perhaps because the beach is a stroll away; not ambience we like. (5) Architecture is very un-Polynesian. (6) No fridge in room -- minibar does not refrigerate. (7) Beach, while attractive, is not breath-taking like Kapalua or the Mauna Kea beach. (8) Summer swells (beach is open to sea) limited snorkeling.

Positives:

(1) Service, although unctuous at times (incessant greetings right from employee playbook). (2) Lovely, comfortable rooms. (3) Dolphins off the beach. (4) Beautiful highlands around Koele lodge (although lodge itself very musty).

We left early, went over to Mauna Kea. Obviously, many people like the Four Seasons here but our experience was not good.

• Stayed June 2006
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

Having stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui at Wailea earlier this year, I knew that I was up for expecting nothing but the best here at the 4S in Lanai. Overall, my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and we would gladly come back.

First off, we loved the island of Lanai. It really paints a picture of what old Hawaii is like. It is very laidback, unhurried, and relaxing. There is no McDonald's or Starbucks on the island, no *chain* stores, only one gas station, and with a population of about 3,000 people on the island, everyone really does know everyone on the island. There's no need to rent a car during your stay in Lanai. For a very reasonable shuttle fee, the airport shuttle picks you up and whisks you away to the hotel which is a 20 minute ride away to paradise. This shuttle fee covers all the transportation you'll need for the island, as you can get a shuttle to take you to the Lodge at Koele, or into town, or to the clubhouses. You really only need to rent a vehicle if you want to explore the island by 4-wheel drive (only 30 miles of paved road on the entire island and places like Garden of the Gods and Shipwreck Beach can only be explored by 4 wheel drive), which we did for a day with the Lanai Ecocenter Tours (we rented a safari jeep and it was fabulous).

The grounds at this hotel are impeccable, and kept up very well. We were greeted with leis upon check-in, and our room was not ready at the time. We simply took a shuttle to the Clubhouse and had lunch. The view overlooking the bay was amazing. By the time we came back, our room still was not available, so we walked around the grounds a bit. The lobby area is really beautiful- very stately, exquisite with Asian accents all around. IMHO, the pool area is small (only one pool- so no separate pool for kids) but we didn't mind that. The beach is a bit of a walk from the hotel. You walk along a trail for about 5 minutes to the beach.

Our room was a partial ocean view, which we liked very much, and our neighbors (with the exception of the crying baby on the last day of our stay) didn't bother us at all, as it was very peaceful and quiet. Housekeeping was impeccable and probably the best I have ever seen of ANY hotel I've ever stayed in. They picked up any towel we had left used, and it impressed us even more that they actually DID have a nightly turndown (I know other hotels do this, but it's more impressive when they actually really have nightly turndown and not simply just fluff the pillows for you). Bathrooms are marble throughout, and in typical Four Seasons fashion, they have L'Occitane complimentary bath products for you to use so if you're not picky about your soap or shampoo, you don't have to pack them.

We had dinner at the Ihilani (Italian) and the meal was good, not that great. We liked the Hulopo'e Court better for dinner (lobster fried rice was actually yummy)! Also went to HC for breakfast and chose to order from the menu as we are not big on buffets. We actually liked ordering from the Ocean Grill for lunch AND cocktails from the Hale Ahe Ahe lounge the best. Anthony from the Hale Ahe Ahe lounge was awesome! Truthfully, they could have converted the lounge into another restaurant, but they made the space into a comfortable area for recreation (i.e. pool tables, shuffleboard, etc.) and relaxation (comfortable and spacious seating on the lanai so you could enjoy the live entertainment). My husband and I enjoyed our evenings every night here!

My husband and I liked the Fitness Center a lot- each cardio equipment had its own LCD TV screen and headphones to use (just in case you forgot your own), with an amazing view looking out at the ocean. The Nautalis equipment was a good variety. They also provide ice water, Gatorade, Evian spritzes, cold towels and fresh fruit for you to enjoy after your workout. We didn't hang out at the pool too much. My husband did comment that the service at the pool was not as efficient as the 4S in Maui. We had to wait awhile for a pool attendant to get our chairs set up, and my husband had to walk up to an attendant to order a drink because we noticed that they weren't coming up to us to take an order. My husband and I went to the Spa on our last day- I had a relaxing facial with Rita, who impressed me, because she was also the hula instructor for the local hula students who did a hula performance in the hotel lobby (every Saturday afternoon).

We were able to take a shuttle into town and ate in town at Blue Ginger Cafe for breakfast (slow service, food was OK), Pele's Other Garden for lunch (yummy), and Henry Clay's for dinner (I was rather disappointed- I had heard great things about this place and maybe it was just me, but the menu choices were rather limiting and though I enjoyed my steak, I would have been happier if my husband would have enjoyed his meal- he thought his dinner was so-so...).

We took advantage of going to Koele for clay shooting and we loved that. You wouldn't think you were in Hawaii shooting at targets, but anything goes in paradise....As impressive as Koele is, I much prefer Four Seasons because I want to feel like I'm in Hawaii and see the ocean close by! :) In all, I'd rate our experience a very close second behind our stay at the 4S Maui, but the 4S in Lanai is an awfully close second. I'd highly recommend our friends/family to stay here at the 4S Manele. Don't look at a budget or a pricetag when you come here- no need to worry, since the whole point of coming here is to relax and enjoy paradise!

• Stayed July 2006
Montgomery
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons Manele Bay at the end of May, 2006 for our 25th anniversary, and the expirence could not have been nicer. We were on the "Fifth Night Free" plan, which included breakfast buffet each day. We had a wonderful room (Garden room that had separate living room with a master bath, plus wonderful bedroom with master bath, both recently updated) and the hotel facilites are excellent. At every opportunmity, the staff made an effort to learn our names and from thereafter would address us "Good Mornig Mr. and Mrs. ...", or "Can I get you something, Mr. ...". Excellent snorkelling in the bay (which you overlook from the hotel and pool areas), and yes, the spinner dolphins do come into the bay regualrly.
Don't go here if you want ot parasail or jet ski, and don't try to go on the cheap. But there is excellent golf at both Manele Bay and Koele, and (according to my wife), the spa is wonderful. We hiked some, and one day we rented a Jeep and explored the island. But what Manale Bay is really there for, in my opinion, is to host your wonderful and relaxing vacation in a beautiful setting with supurb facilities and staff.

• Stayed May 2006
Atlanta,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

My friend and I stayed five nights at the Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay in May. The hotel just became a Four Seasons property in December and underwent some extensive renovations. The property features beautifully landscaped gardens of different themes, has a decent sized pool, and is within a very short walking distance to one of the best beaches on the island. We spent most of our days on the beach. The staff at the beach hut was very attentive and courteous. They set up our lounge chairs and umbrella at our request each day and brought us iced water, cold lemonade and chilled towels every so often. Snorkels and other beach toys were available (complimentary), which we took advantage of to see the abundant marine lives and corals in the Bay. On our last day even the local dolphines visited the Bay (apparently very often throughout the year).

Our room was spacious and well-appointed, with a 40 inch plasma TV and DVD player (concierge has a good selection of complimentary movies to borrow from). The bed was large and comfortable, and the balcony contained a good-size daybed and a set of table and chairs large enough for meals.

We also visited the fitness center and spa. The fitness center had brand new equipments and was well attended. Massages were great though the spa facility itself was a bit dated.

Our meals at the restaurants were good but a bit on the pricey side. Because the property was a little ways from the town, we were sort of at the mercy of the hotel. Buffet breakfast was included with our room, which was quite extravagant with an omelet and waffle station (on par with other Four Seasons Resorts I've stayed). Poolside restaurant was the only choice for lunch besides room service. For dinner the two restaurants on the property were available on alternate days. One featured Asian fusion entrees while the other served Italian fare. Both meals we had were very good. The only minor downside to our dinners was the service. The staff seemed a bit awkard while serving us, making us feeling like they were trying to maintain a formalness that they were unaccustomed to.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much. Staff was very friendly and helpful, the property was well maintained and our room was large and very comfortable. We were told that a new spa facility is being built and other upgrades are being implemented. As the staff gets more fully trained, this property is well on its way to becoming one of the excellent Four Seasons Resorts that I've come to expect.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights May 23-26 2006. It was the most relaxing experience we have ever had at a resort. The service was top notch, and our room was fantastic. We had a partial oceanview room, that was a bit of a walk from the lobby/pool etc. but was so private and quiet, that it was worth it. We didn't hear anyone else from our room, or our lanai. Everyone was very respectful of the peace and quiet, and other than the few children in the pool at times, it was extremely quiet and relaxing. The pool is beautiful and refreshing, and the beach is fabulous. ( you have to walk down a trail to get there)
Our favorite spot to sit was in the cabanas away from the pool, overlooking the beach below. Extremely peaceful. The snorkel equipment is complimentary, and of good quality, and we felt very lucky to be able to swim with several pods of dolphins for over an hour, with just a short swim from the shore. That was really a highlight of our stay. You can never guarantee when the dolphins are going to come in close and stay for several hours, but our timing was good, apparently. Many others have told me that the dolphins didn't show up for the entire time they stayed at the resort. It gets very hot at Menele Bay, so we were grateful for the constant service of ice water to our beach chair and pool cabana, as well as the cold evian spritzes. We found the food to be good in the restaurants, and the food we ordered at the pool, also excellent. We took the shuttle to Koele lodge and had tea and scones in the afternoon after a game of croquet. Worth doing. We didn't golf this trip, so I can't comment on that, but we plan to next time. This is a great place for a relaxation weekend, or a honeymoon getaway for a couple of days. Bring a good book and enjoy.

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay? Share your experiences!