“Good place to relax” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfield County
“Good place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My relatives and I spent ten days here last October. We were fortunate enough to have two adjacent rooms on the ground floor overlooking the bay. Couldnt ask for better.
The property was undergoing a light renovation, but it was so well managed that it had very little impact on our stay.
Our room decor was lovely, if a bit dated. (It is a remote island, so its not really surprising that the furnishings would be slightly out of fashion.) I believe they will be updating this, if they havent already done so. In any case, its fine.
Service was good and so was the cuisine. Spa and gym were very nice as well. Exercise classes were ok, not great.
I would recommend this resort for adults who want a lot of peace and quiet. There isnt a lot to do except lounge by the pool, eat and drink! My husband and I are golfers, so we had a good time playing the beautiful courses while my mother and sister lounged on the terrace and read books.
We were thankful that at the time we were there, there were no kids. The pool area is small and it could be overwhelming if there were alot of children playing there. So I'd avoid booking when kids are off school.
Other than that, I'd say GO and get ready to kick back!

Room Tip: Ocean front of course - ground floor is good here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

1,037 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Lovely hotel, wonderful staff and service, dolphins every morning in the bay, free snorkeling gear, great concierge to help you plan your days, beautiful stunning golf courses at Manele Bay and the Four Seasons Lodge at Koele! What a wonderful hotel. All the restaurants were delicious, and, for Hawaii, in an okay price range. But again, you are in Hawaii!!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the hotel! Beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a Garden View room for our honeymoon which was awesome. Not only did we get a view of the spectacular garden that adorns the resort, but we still had a view of the ocean as well. The staff are very friendly and approachable. Food is a little on the pricey side but then again, it is expected since you are at a Four Season's. If you really need to save some money, take a trip into town to get some groceries - the shuttle bus is very convenient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here with our 4 and 2 yr olds. We stayed a week on Maui before our time on Lanai and questioned whether it would be worth the hassle to ferry over to Lanai and once there, whether we would be bored out of our minds. Non-issues: the transfer was easy and loved every minute of our stay.

The pool is perfect for relaxing. The staff were pleasant and attentive, even addressing our kids by name and allowing them to choose from a selection of pool toys. There was a staff (of Syrian descent) in the main building where the exotic birds are located. I can't recall his name, but he was exceptionally nice and accomodating to us. (In addition, Annette W, assistant director of food & beverage went out of her way to make our stay great.)

The room was large, the balcony was large (great for room service outside), the grounds were well kept. Our kids loved looking for little frogs and feeding the fish (staff supplied them with fish food). When we arrived, there were more than a couple special things prepared for our kids on arrival and throughout our stay. This buys the loyalty of any parent.

We took the shuttle to the Koele Lodge and had an amazing lunch there. They also rode the horses and that was a highlight of their vacation. The transfer was easy and short.

The only criticisms we had during our stay were: (1) Nobu was too pricey for our situation. I rarely complain about price, and Nobu's food was amazing, but just to feed our two toddlers was $60 of our dinner bill. That's too much for kids that eat very little. Bump up the price of our adult meals if you need and make kids under five free - this would feel better. (2) my wife didn't have the best experience in the Spa. It wasn't bad...just not Four Seasons level.

Overall, this was one of the best resort experiences we've had. My wife already wants to book for next year. See you then!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Aloha skitts06,

Greetings from paradise! Thank you for taking the time to add such a thoughtful and detailed review of your family vacation with us. I'm glad to learn your entire family, especially your young children, had an incredible resort experience and discovered the beauty and charm of the island. The resort is well suited for families, especially with the children's amenities, complimentary Kids For All Seasons program and spacious beach setting. Our staff goes above and beyond to assist our guests and I appreciate the special mention of the excellent service you received - I will share with the entire team. Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the children's menu at Nobu. I'm happy to note that the restaurant recently added a kids menu for children under five, which is free! Additionally, we will be hosting our very first kids sushi class on July 4th and hope to do more programming like this in the future. Again, thanks for sharing such valuable feedback about your stay. I look forward to welcoming your family back next year for another wonderful vacation.

Warmest aloha,

Charles Fisher
Resort Manager
charles.fisher@fourseasons.com
Glen Ellyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

What a fantastic island to kick back and relax! Lanai is small (only one stop sign) and picturesque. The entire experienced was aided by our stay at the Four Seasons the island. The service, food, drinks and accommodations were all superior!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great hotel....we've been here several times and love it. However, as we sit here at the pool on our last day, we are about to leave with a sour taste in our mouths....and hungry! We've been here for 4 days now, and not once, even at check in, were we asked for an ID. Now, 30 drinks later, the pool staff decides that they want to card us. After seeing bottles of champagne on a "no drinking" beach, and seeing not a single other person here get carded, I think the discretion of the pool girls to card or not card needs to be handled a bit better. Seeing girls that look 15 get served without being carded, while we're in our 30's feels discriminatory. Management seems to say, "well, my girl is doing her job". I say, then you have a lot of other untrained, law breaking employees. Chris, the manager at the pool bar, and Emily, the hotel manager on duty, should have done a much better job at pleasing their guests. Update to follow...

PS, as I finish this review, the couple next to us, mid 30's too, just sat down and ordered drinks from another server. Think they got carded? Nope!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Aloha travelivenjoy,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay over the weekend. While it's wonderful to learn you have stayed with us several times and love the resort, I'm truly sorry for the service you experienced on your last day at the pool. The inconsistent service is not a reflection of the brand, nor of our service standards, and I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. I appreciate you bringing this important matter to my attention so that I may address our service standards and procedures immediately with the entire team to ensure proper, and consistent, checking of personal identification. This topic will also be reviewed during our on-going service standards training so that it may be prevented moving forward. Again, thank you for your assistance in bringing this to my attention. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to reach out to me directly at the address below. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the island in the near future and regain your trust and confidence in us.

Kind regards,

Charles Fisher
Resort Manager
charles.fisher@fourseasons.com
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

While this hotel is not as fancy as the Four Seasons in Maui, I probably enjoyed our stay here more. It was very uncrowded and there was a very laid back vibe.

Room- the room was comfortable, although it was very humid in the room and the bed was comfortable, but very loud—every time I turned over it would squeak. The bathroom was spacious and I enjoyed the bath products. We were in an oceanfront room on the first floor and the view from the terrace was amazing. I had booked a garden terrace room and we were upgraded to an ocean terrace room for free. We decided to pay a small upgrade fee to the ocean front room and I think the view was worth it.

Service- service was great, although a bit more understated than in Maui (I can’t help but to compare the two resorts). We still received great service from the wait staff and pool employees.

Pool- the pool was not very large, but it was not crowded at all. We spent more time at the pool than I expected because the ocean was rough when we were there. We enjoyed the treats that were provided throughout the day.

Beach- Hulopoe Bay- the most stunning beach we saw on our trip to Hawaii! But the main reason I wanted to visit was for the snorkeling and a swell was in for our entire stay so we missed out on that. I did enjoy watching the dolphins in the bay our first morning and also watching the large waves and surfers.

Food- generally the food was good, but not on par with what we had on the resort on Maui. We had the buffet breakfast included in our rate and it was quite good, but not as much selection as in Maui. The one real miss was the brownie I had at the sportsbar—it was just plain bad! We mostly ate at the resort but did have one meal at the Lodge (quite delicious, at their more casual restaurant). We also ate in town one day at Blue Ginger. Great food and large portions, big enough to share the meal. I’d also recommend having a meal at Hotel Lanai—a nice restaurant with great food and better prices than the resort.

Hike- my husband did the Sweetheart Rock Hike and it afforded more beautiful views.

We did a half day island tour with Rabacca's. This was arranged by the concierge. The tour was 4 hours in a suburban. I highly recommend this. We went through town, to the Lodge, Garden of the Gods, Shipwreck beach where we spotted turtles and also did a hike to some petroglyphs. Our guide was very friendly and knowledgeable.

I would love to come back here—the town is so charming and the beach and resort are beautiful. But I would want to make it a last minute trip so I can make sure to take advantage of the snorkeling.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay? Share your experiences!