“Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a Garden View room for our honeymoon which was awesome. Not only did we get a view of the spectacular garden that adorns the resort, but we still had a view of the ocean as well. The staff are very friendly and approachable. Food is a little on the pricey side but then again, it is expected since you are at a Four Season's. If you really need to save some money, take a trip into town to get some groceries - the shuttle bus is very convenient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Laguna Niguel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here with our 4 and 2 yr olds. We stayed a week on Maui before our time on Lanai and questioned whether it would be worth the hassle to ferry over to Lanai and once there, whether we would be bored out of our minds. Non-issues: the transfer was easy and loved every minute of our stay.

The pool is perfect for relaxing. The staff were pleasant and attentive, even addressing our kids by name and allowing them to choose from a selection of pool toys. There was a staff (of Syrian descent) in the main building where the exotic birds are located. I can't recall his name, but he was exceptionally nice and accomodating to us. (In addition, Annette W, assistant director of food & beverage went out of her way to make our stay great.)

The room was large, the balcony was large (great for room service outside), the grounds were well kept. Our kids loved looking for little frogs and feeding the fish (staff supplied them with fish food). When we arrived, there were more than a couple special things prepared for our kids on arrival and throughout our stay. This buys the loyalty of any parent.

We took the shuttle to the Koele Lodge and had an amazing lunch there. They also rode the horses and that was a highlight of their vacation. The transfer was easy and short.

The only criticisms we had during our stay were: (1) Nobu was too pricey for our situation. I rarely complain about price, and Nobu's food was amazing, but just to feed our two toddlers was $60 of our dinner bill. That's too much for kids that eat very little. Bump up the price of our adult meals if you need and make kids under five free - this would feel better. (2) my wife didn't have the best experience in the Spa. It wasn't bad...just not Four Seasons level.

Overall, this was one of the best resort experiences we've had. My wife already wants to book for next year. See you then!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Aloha skitts06,

Greetings from paradise! Thank you for taking the time to add such a thoughtful and detailed review of your family vacation with us. I'm glad to learn your entire family, especially your young children, had an incredible resort experience and discovered the beauty and charm of the island. The resort is well suited for families, especially with the children's amenities, complimentary Kids For All Seasons program and spacious beach setting. Our staff goes above and beyond to assist our guests and I appreciate the special mention of the excellent service you received - I will share with the entire team. Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the children's menu at Nobu. I'm happy to note that the restaurant recently added a kids menu for children under five, which is free! Additionally, we will be hosting our very first kids sushi class on July 4th and hope to do more programming like this in the future. Again, thanks for sharing such valuable feedback about your stay. I look forward to welcoming your family back next year for another wonderful vacation.

Warmest aloha,

Glen Ellyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

What a fantastic island to kick back and relax! Lanai is small (only one stop sign) and picturesque. The entire experienced was aided by our stay at the Four Seasons the island. The service, food, drinks and accommodations were all superior!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great hotel....we've been here several times and love it. However, as we sit here at the pool on our last day, we are about to leave with a sour taste in our mouths....and hungry! We've been here for 4 days now, and not once, even at check in, were we asked for an ID. Now, 30 drinks later, the pool staff decides that they want to card us. After seeing bottles of champagne on a "no drinking" beach, and seeing not a single other person here get carded, I think the discretion of the pool girls to card or not card needs to be handled a bit better. Seeing girls that look 15 get served without being carded, while we're in our 30's feels discriminatory. Management seems to say, "well, my girl is doing her job". I say, then you have a lot of other untrained, law breaking employees. Chris, the manager at the pool bar, and Emily, the hotel manager on duty, should have done a much better job at pleasing their guests. Update to follow...

PS, as I finish this review, the couple next to us, mid 30's too, just sat down and ordered drinks from another server. Think they got carded? Nope!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Aloha travelivenjoy,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay over the weekend. While it's wonderful to learn you have stayed with us several times and love the resort, I'm truly sorry for the service you experienced on your last day at the pool. The inconsistent service is not a reflection of the brand, nor of our service standards, and I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. I appreciate you bringing this important matter to my attention so that I may address our service standards and procedures immediately with the entire team to ensure proper, and consistent, checking of personal identification. This topic will also be reviewed during our on-going service standards training so that it may be prevented moving forward. Again, thank you for your assistance in bringing this to my attention. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to reach out to me directly at the address below. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the island in the near future and regain your trust and confidence in us.

Kind regards,

Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

While this hotel is not as fancy as the Four Seasons in Maui, I probably enjoyed our stay here more. It was very uncrowded and there was a very laid back vibe.

Room- the room was comfortable, although it was very humid in the room and the bed was comfortable, but very loud—every time I turned over it would squeak. The bathroom was spacious and I enjoyed the bath products. We were in an oceanfront room on the first floor and the view from the terrace was amazing. I had booked a garden terrace room and we were upgraded to an ocean terrace room for free. We decided to pay a small upgrade fee to the ocean front room and I think the view was worth it.

Service- service was great, although a bit more understated than in Maui (I can’t help but to compare the two resorts). We still received great service from the wait staff and pool employees.

Pool- the pool was not very large, but it was not crowded at all. We spent more time at the pool than I expected because the ocean was rough when we were there. We enjoyed the treats that were provided throughout the day.

Beach- Hulopoe Bay- the most stunning beach we saw on our trip to Hawaii! But the main reason I wanted to visit was for the snorkeling and a swell was in for our entire stay so we missed out on that. I did enjoy watching the dolphins in the bay our first morning and also watching the large waves and surfers.

Food- generally the food was good, but not on par with what we had on the resort on Maui. We had the buffet breakfast included in our rate and it was quite good, but not as much selection as in Maui. The one real miss was the brownie I had at the sportsbar—it was just plain bad! We mostly ate at the resort but did have one meal at the Lodge (quite delicious, at their more casual restaurant). We also ate in town one day at Blue Ginger. Great food and large portions, big enough to share the meal. I’d also recommend having a meal at Hotel Lanai—a nice restaurant with great food and better prices than the resort.

Hike- my husband did the Sweetheart Rock Hike and it afforded more beautiful views.

We did a half day island tour with Rabacca's. This was arranged by the concierge. The tour was 4 hours in a suburban. I highly recommend this. We went through town, to the Lodge, Garden of the Gods, Shipwreck beach where we spotted turtles and also did a hike to some petroglyphs. Our guide was very friendly and knowledgeable.

I would love to come back here—the town is so charming and the beach and resort are beautiful. But I would want to make it a last minute trip so I can make sure to take advantage of the snorkeling.

Melbourne Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The island of Lanai is epic, the hotel capitalizes on Lanai's scenery, and is well built. The service and rooms are less than you'd expect when paying a pile of money to stay here, but you don't have many options. You only have the two Four Season resorts, Hotel Lanai, or camping. The hotel has sweet ocean views, cool breezes, a nice pool that overlooks the beach, and a free shuttle to town. The food in the hotel is overpriced, but again, you do not have many options. If you are looking for a cheap meal take the shuttle into Lanai City, and eat at one of the tiny local restaurants there. Otherwise, it's five star, expensive dining for you. The food was descent, but expensive. Make sure you leave the hotel, as the best stuff takes place outside. Good snorkeling in Hulepo Bay, spinner dolphins come into the bay often, fun coastal hiking, epic tidepools, etc. Don't forget to ride the shuttle up to the Koele Lodge and play their miniature golf course and/or crochet. The mini golf course is on manicured, real grass, and is rarely busy. Lanai is a hidden Hawaii gem, and the Manele Bay Hotel is in a great location, which is why it gets four stars from me. If you don't want to spend a ton of money, camp on Lanai and access all of the great activities for a 1/10 of the cost.

Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We visited Lana’i to relax and after staying at the Four Seasons Maui, the bar was set higher then imaginable for Four Seasons Manele Bay. Turn down the volume, hit the breaks, and understand what serenity is by staying at this property. We arrived via the ferry and our bags were immediately taken by a bellman and we were driven to the resort on a separate shuttle. With a three-minute ride, we arrived at the resort, to be greeted by Ian, the Rooms Division Manager. Ian not only escorted us to our room, but was extremely informative and accommodating. He truly started the second leg to our trip off right. Also, within minutes, our bags arrived to our suite. We were here for our 5-year anniversary trip, and here are the details:

We had a corner ocean view suite with almost a 270-degree panoramic ocean view. Housekeeping was impeccable. From the cleanliness of the room, to the service, to the warm greetings, we truly appreciated everything they did for us.

For Dining, there was Kailani, One Forty, Nobu, the restaurants at the Lodge and the local restaurants in Lana’i City. We spent our lunches daily at Kailani with the best Margaritas imaginable (spicy with foam toppings). For dinner we ate at Nobu, One Forty and the Dining Room at the Lodge. One Forty was a good traditional steak and seafood restaurant, with great service. Breakfast offers a fantastic buffet, which was too much for us, and a great a la carte menu. However, the highlight was the One Forty after dinner drink. It is big enough for two and the presentation is second to none. Cognac lovers will truly enjoy.

Nobu, was fantastic. We ate there twice and would have been there every night if we knew how great it was. The most challenging part of this restaurant is deciding what to order since everything is great. Sushi is good, but only a side show compared to the other dishes. I hope you like spicy, because the best dishes have a kick and their chef’s creativity is driven with a spice. You do have the option of dining at a sofa table or standard dining room table. The sofa tables have a great view and seem nice, but the dining tables are more practical.

The Dining Room at the Lodge was pleasant, and very quiet. The lobby’s live music kept the restaurant from playing their own. The Hawaiian Snapper was the best of the dishes, but Nobu’s creativity made it hard to compete with.

The pool was nice and relaxing, but the chairs on the lawn (steps from the pool), overlooked the ocean and were the best view in the resort. Drink and food service were available to this location. We did however, spend most of our time at the beach. Unfortunately, state law prohibited liquor at the beach, however a short walk back to the pool bar provided all the food and drinks needed. Additionally, it was such a safe and friendly feeling island, we left all of our belongings at the beach during our back and forth trips with no issues. Also, make sure to say hi to Winnie, the security officer along the way to the beach. She appeared to be more of a fantastic greeter to the resort and was so kind we talked forever.

Some of us have had the opportunity to swim with dolphins in a lagoon or in a controlled environment, but how about in the ocean, uncontrolled? Lana’i is famous for their spinner dolphins, which we saw two times in five days. Once while I was swimming in the ocean, I had twenty dolphins swim below me, within arms length. I watched as they spun out of the water around me. It was amazing. The second time I was on a paddle board and they swam up to me, this time double the amount of dolphins. Because they are protected, the beach can’t rent out snorkeling gear while the dolphins are visible. So make sure you reserve ahead of time and if they come out you can visit. However, as requested and advised, do not chase the dolphins. If you are out there, they will likely come to you.

As for the beach rentals, I wished Four Seasons rented more. In order to rent a paddleboard or surfboard (I rented both) you had to go through an outside source (Nick). Nick was nice, but seemed to be on Hawaii time, regardless of how many times the four seasons contacted him. So if you are interested, reserve days ahead of time.

Another great service is the shuttle, which takes you into town (two streets of local shops and restaurants) and to the Lodge. We played the executive putting course (sand traps and creeks), which was fantastic. We also played croquette, with a few rules skipped. The grounds are fantastic.

Finally, my wife and I had the luxury of renewing out vows here. Rosalynn was a sweetheart and was so accommodating. From the moment I emailed the group sales team to the moment we renewed our vows, it was perfect. The local officiant was amazing and the site, on the lawn overlooking the ocean, was exceptional. It was a moment we will never forget. Afterwards, we had dinner on the balcony of our suite – can’t beat it!

Overall, this vacation provided memories of a lifetime and we are already planning on how we will make it back. The Four Seasons Lana’i team felt like family and we couldn’t imagine not returning. Thank you!

Aloha ThePerfectCritic,

Greetings from paradise! Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your stay in May. Congratulations as well for celebrating your fifth anniversary. We are honored that you selected our resort to not only celebrate, but also renew your vows. I will share your praise with Rosalynn for coordinating such a special and flawless occasion. Thank you as well for the wonderful feedback regarding the dining outlets. As you noted, there are a variety of options each with a distinct menu - from Nobu and One Forty to Kailani and The Dining Room, there's something for everyone. Your review truly captured the spirit and genuine warmth of the island, as well as the impeccable service. I believe you summed it up perfectly with "the team felt like family." On behalf of the entire team, thank you again for such a sincere review and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more years to come.

Warmest aloha,

charles.fisher@fourseasons.com

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay? Share your experiences!