“If at first you don't succeed, ask for better service” 5 of 5 stars

$1000 Resort Credit!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Aspen, Colorado
“If at first you don't succeed, ask for better service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The physical location of this hotel is nothing short of spectacular, and the weather was perfect, except for one rainy day, during our 5-night stay. My overall rating of this hotel wouldn’t be as high were it not for the response of management to our initial complaints. So credit is due them for making an effort to meet our expectations, which are admittedly high since we’ve stayed at several other Four Seasons resort hotels -- in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Hawaii.

We booked through the AMEX platinum card program that offers a late checkout, upgrade if available, breakfast for two and $100 credit at the spa. Upon arriving late in the afternoon from the US (and jet-lagged), we were told we’d been upgraded to a “lovely ocean-front room with a lot of privacy,” though it was a bit of a walk. However, neither was the room oceanfront, nor was it “private” – just a very long walk. We complained to the front-desk and were eventually told we could move to a much better room the next day.

Our second room was slightly larger and very well situated, close to the pool and the main building with the restaurants and spa. We were very satisfied with the move to a better room, and particularly happy when we were allowed a very late checkout the day we left (6:15pm) – it meant we could enjoy the day as if we were staying one more night, a wonderful accommodation!

We were surprised by the physical condition of the hotel rooms. It seems the main lobby and restaurants have been renovated as they’re contemporary design, furnishings and lighting are far more modern and refreshed than is the case in the rooms. The rooms aren’t bad; they’re just not as modern and fresh as was the case in other Four Seasons resort hotels at which we’ve stayed. Four Seasons shouldn’t look like Marriott, anywhere.

Apart from the slightly tired physical condition of the rooms and the pathways to the rooms, everything else was top-notch: beds, bedding, free roll-away for our 9-year old, wi-fi for up to two devices (though there are various plans for faster and unlimited wi-fi which we used on a rainy day when we wanted to stream Netflix); flat-screen TV, and bedside electrical outlets for various devices, apple speakers, nice bathroom products, good maid service twice per day, a user-friendly coffee maker with refrigerated milk – all the creature comforts. We also had a nice patio out the sliding door and a spectacular view.

One of my biggest beach resort pet peeves is that unless you wake up at 6am to reserve lounge chairs, they’re often unavailable by the time you get to the pool. Not the case at this hotel, even though it was fully occupied. It was a unique pleasure to have choices.

The restaurants (Nobu for Japanese, an Italian and a steak/Hawaiian seafood) are good, though very expensive and with slow kitchens – but they’re virtually the only game in town. We were pleased that our breakfasts (2 adults and one child) were completely included since the breakfast buffet runs $20 for kids and $40 for adults. The pool menu is very good and the poolside service was excellent, both for food and towels and other complementary amenities like sunglass cleaning, refreshing small snacks, and Evian spritzes.

I had an excellent 80-minute deep tissue massage and a so-so pedicure. There is also a full-service fitness room with a full-time attendant, a great view, plenty of aerobic equipment and weights, refrigerated water and wet towels, and fresh fruit. They also teach various classes.

The nearby beach down a short path is exquisite and while we were visiting, scores of dolphins were in the bay to swim/snorkel amidst. We were also impressed with the array of available snorkeling in the area.

There are other activities that are offered like back-roading around the island, which we’d intended to do by renting a jeep for the day, but we couldn’t since rains had closed the back roads. The kids program

Though we’d had some difficulties working with the concierges prior to our arrival (something we’d also complained about), things worked out in the end. The shuttle services to the other Four Seasons Hotel on Lana’i and to Lana’i City was always on time and the ferry shuttle to/from Maui operated well.

We enjoyed our stay and are grateful the Four Season staff was so accommodating in the end.

Room Tip: We preferred closer to the main lobby/pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Aloha Melanie S,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of your recent stay. It's wonderful to learn that you are loyal to the brand and have stayed at some of our other exotic locations. I appreciate your feedback regarding your overall stay and as a parent myself, appreciate how pristine, safe and family friendly the resort is. From the poolside service, dining options, to the white sandy beach, the island really offers wonderful opportunities for families. Additionally, while I apologize for any inconvenience prior to your stay with the Concierge, I'm glad all details were sorted out during your stay, including the well appointed room. I appreciate the "top-notch" review of the room amenities, such as complimentary Internet and roll-away for your daughter, as well as the luxurious bedding and housekeeping service, all items mentioned truly allows for a pampering stay in paradise. As you mentioned, the public areas of the resort showcase a contemporary design reflective of our recently completed enhancements. While the interior of the rooms are quite comfortable and very luxurious, our intent is to have a cohesive design throughout the entire resort and will be taking a closer look at the interiors in the near future. Thank you again for spending your family vacation with us. We hope to welcome you back soon.

charles.fisher@fourseasons.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

An excellent resort for laid-back relaxation at a beach in the tropics. It is tempting to dwell on recent changes, but we found them mostly positive and the net result is an improvement.

The feel of gentle sea breezes, sound of surf lapping a pristine beach, colorful fish, spinner dolphins, tropic bird calls, and smells and tastes of Hawaii are still at their best. The service of an enthusiastic helpful staff permeates the resort.

The restaurants are much improved with variety and depth of choices on the menus.

We are already anxiously awaiting our next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We enjoyed every minute at this resort! The views were breath taking and the service was outstanding. Everyone was so kind and willing to help. The previous reviews are pretty accurate, the resort is beautiful but you have limited activities on the island. If you are going for absolute relaxation (or golf), this resort is perfect!

The pool was great. The wait staff were very attentive and would bring around fresh fruit skewers daily. This was a really nice touch on a warm day! While we were there, one of the screws fell out of my sunglasses and they were able to repair them for me at no charge. They also provided complimentary sunscreen if needed.

The spa was amazing. I had the signature massage for my first spa service and it was great! I had another massage scheduled but got a bit sunburned the day before so they worked me in to have an aloe body wrap. It was wonderful and perfect for my sun kissed skin!

We found the food at the resort to be VERY good. All restaurants are expensive, but expect it, it's the Four Seasons.The sports bar is a lot of fun with pool tables and free popcorn. The sushi was amazing from Nobu-I had a roll by the pool one day. We ordered room service for breakfast daily and loved everything we ordered throughout our stay. They would set our meal up on the Lana'i each morning, so we enjoyed our breakfast overlooking the ocean. Portions at all of the restaurants were very large, so we found that a lot of dishes can be shared.

The grounds are so unique and peaceful. From the flowers to the waterfalls, to the exotic birds in the lobby, everything about the resort was beautiful. There was a little bit of a walk to the actual beach, but we didn't mind the extra excercise. We hiked up to Sweet Heart Rock one morning and got some great pictures. It wasn't a long hike, but I would recommend it.

The fitness center is very nice with a great view. One morning while I was on the treadmill, I spotted multiple dolphins playing in the water. Very nice entertainment for my morning workout.

The golf course was beautiful! My husband played The Challenge at Manele Bay and I rode along. Amazing views! He loved every minute of it. And the club house has the most wonderful fish tacos I've ever had in my life!

Our stay was just perfect! I would recommend this resort for anyone looking for a peaceful, beautiful place to just kick back and relax. I missed it before I left!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Aloha RaeB58,

Greetings from paradise! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and detailed review. I'm pleased to learn you enjoyed "every minute" of your stay. Between the breathtaking views, attentive service, culinary offerings and activity offerings - the island is truly an escape from the every day. Sweetheart Rock is one of my favorite coastal hiking trails as it leads to panoramic views of the neighbor islands, glad you discovered it. Thank you again for your great feedback. I hope we have the pleasure of seeing you on island again soon.

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon and it could not have been more perfect. The resort is is great condition and the staff is amazing. They would call us(by name) every morning with the weather and water temp. Breakfast buffet was great every morning and we would even wake up early to get there first. The hotel is beautiful and very well taken care of. The water was great and we even swam out into the bay to be surrounded by dolphins. This resort was very quiet and we really had a chance to relax. They great thing is you can visit the other Four Seasons on the island via the bus and we had dinner there one night. It does get colder at the top so bring a light jacket. I can't say enough good things about this place. I know we will be back soon.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room and it still had a good view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

As you know from reading other reviews the ownership has changed to Four Seasons. We were here last year just at the change over to the new owners so to see the changes was illuminating. The prior owner was fascinated with Asian antiquities-- so there were lovely bowls with orchids at every possible area.Now most areas are "empty" and who knows if they will once again be filled with art or antiques but that is rather sad compared to the "old days" of lovely orchids and pots at every possible location. Having said that the hotel is incomparable in terms of location. The spinner dolphin "show" is amazing-- they have signs that swimming with them hurts them but we were just coming back from the reef when the pod swam with us---they apparently CHOSE to swim around us...

The beauty of the surroundings is the key. If you want shopping or entertainment this is not for you. If you want peace and quiet and ocean sounds--- come here.

On the trail up to Sweetheart Rock in March be aware of the burrows in the sand. The nesting endangered Hawaiin Petrals which are a pelagic sea bird out to sea except to nest are here. Thousands of them due to the fact that the enlightened local residents have captured the only predator-- feral cats. The burrows are filled with breeding birds who have an unique and strange "moaning" call-- which reminds one of a sick cat-- they fly off before dawn to forage and come back after dark. You can see foot prints of their "duck like " feet in the sand and if you go just before the sun rises over Maui you can see thousands of them fly out to sea from the burrows. This is an endemic Hawaain bird so for ecobirders this is really special.

I found the new decor to be lifeless and "boring"-- looked right out of a catalogue-- not interesting at all. I also found the changes to the breakfast buffet to be distressing -- I guess trying to be "light" but also restriciting. The grounds are still lovely. Very little local flavor-- they used to showcase local artists but no more. Nobu is a great addition -- see my review for that.

I found the staff to be trying really hard. But the turn down service was lackluster and often really too late. The breakfast buffet was not that interesting and the new decor was pretty much out of a catalogue. However the view and the location was such that we'll be back.

Room Tip: there were cockroaches!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Aloha LaurettaYoung,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm pleased to learn this is your 10th visit to the island and I very much look forward to welcoming you back for many more visits to come. As you noted, the pristine and beautiful setting of the resort is breathtaking. Between snorkeling in the protected marine preserve to hiking Sweetheart Rock, the surrounding areas allow for adventure and the opportunity to enjoy the tranquil settings of the island. I appreciate your honest feedback regarding the new decor, breakfast buffet and turn down service. We have recently completed a series of enhancements, which included a new art collection featuring local Hawaiian artists, landscaping that focuses on indigenous Hawaiian plants, new furniture, and new dining options such as Nobu Lanai. Our priority remains on offering the very best experience, from dining to decor - your feedback is truly valuable. I have shared your comments with the various departments mentioned so that we may identify areas for immediate improvement. Please feel free to contact me at the below email address should you like to discuss your visit further. Thank you again, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you have never been to Manele Bay, you will love it! See other reviews for all the reasons why. If you are a long time fan of the hotel, be warned that the decor and gardens have lost their distinctive warmth, color and charm. Yes, freshening was needed, but I find the beige/brown contemporary decor just a nice version of what's 'In' for every hotel these days. The public areas are done and they are just starting to redecorate the rooms. I hope they add much more color before they are finished to make a new kind of distinctive charm. For now, I can no longer say that Manele Bay is my favorite place on earth, and that makes me very sad.

• Stayed March 2013
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Be ready to be taken care of. Cost a bit, but worth every penny. Breakfast was Great, pricy for a Buffet Never had a problem with privacy at the Beach or Pool. Plenty of places to hang out and the Staff was always available to see to my every need,.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay? Share your experiences!