Everyone says Lanai is not a "pretty" island, and that is true. Almost no trees or vegetation. If you have never been to Hawaii or want the lush Kauai look, this is not for you. If you want quiet, read on the beach and do nothing, it might be just right. Read up on Larry Ellison and his plans for the island, interesting.
There truly is little exciting to do, but that is just what we wanted. Jeep rental is interesting for one day, but other than the road to the old Club Lanai, not that interesting but worth it. They may tell you roads are closed, but ask around about conditions, we went anyway and it was fine. We did not drive Munro Trail so not sure if that is drivable or not, heard very conflicting reports so didnt do it. Better to hike it maybe. Town is bizarrely interesting, but you are done in 6 minutes. Check out the old jail. Eat at the Lanaii City Grill (best meal we had) and see the old hotel it is housed in. You would swear Sadie Thompson had been there. Eat at one or two of the little "local" spots, food is not great but a nice change from the Four Seasons, not to mention very inexpensive. don't need a car as hotel shuttles you everywhere.
Food at the hotel was a bit disappointing, that might be my only caveat. Not bad, but we are very spoil in that regard.
As for the hotel, it is being renovated, but as of today parts do still look a tad dated, but very well maintained. Lobby is done and lovely. Rooms very large, will be redone shortly. Do not get a room on the left side near the pool restaurant...you may have a partial ocean view but mostly you look at and hear the restaurant machinery.
Everyone knows about the dolphins! One day there must have been 150, fun to swim with them. Tons of whales if you are there in season. Walk the fishermans trail, look at the ruins, they dot the shoreline and give your stroll a purpose! Tennis is more of an afterthought, golf course looked great! Bill Gates was married on the 12th tee, so you can imagine the view.
There really is almost nothing on the island in the way of stores...so don't forget anything. The helpful concierges can get a runner to go to Maui if you really need something, but other than two tiny grocery stores, and the small Four Seasons gift shop, that is it. I hear the hotel spa has a gift shop too, but didn't go in.
We wanted a quiet relaxing trip, and it was just that. Service was very good, as FS usually is! They never say they can't do something for you, they just figure out how. What a refreshing concept! But course, we never asked for crazy things, just fish tacos at the beach, which are on the pool menu, not the beach menu, for example, but no problem, yes! The small things made it nice...free snacks delivered to your chairs and cold lemonade dispensed at the beach, bottles of sunscreen too. Footballs to borrow. Pool and shuffleboard in the bar. Just enough to do. Very nice trip. Oh and a tip! If you buy the FS travel mug for coffee in the breakfast bar, unlimited refills your entire stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay is the quintessential Hawaiian beach resort. Overlooking a protected marine preserve, Manele Bay is a romantic retreat with championship golf and some of the finest offerings of water sports in the world. Al fresco dining options abound, from Pacific Rim to Italian cuisine, while spinner dolphins and whale watching are sights to behold. Pampering spa treatments and pool and beach side amenities make for a perfect day under the sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Seasons Resort Lana`i At Manele Bay
- Four Seasons Resort Lana`i At Manele Bay Hotel Lanai City
- Four Seasons Manele Bay
- Four Seasons Lanai City
- Lanai City Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Resort Lana'i At Manele Bay Lanai, Hawaii