“Totally at Ease...” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
MN
“Totally at Ease...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Very relaxing atmosphere ! Everything went perfect ! The food, the service, the trails, the room, daily service and view out our balcony ! Snorkeled, sat at the beach, walked the trails, walked the Munro Trail which was 12 miles, golfed the Challenge ! Visited Lanai City a couple days...the people are so friendly there ! It was all over the top ! All you had to do was ask and it was yours. We recommend this resort very highly.

Room Tip: Get a partial ocean to full ocean view. We had a partial ocean view but could still see the garden...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We decided to elope for our three year anniversary so I only had seven days to plan my wedding and without the helpful staff when we arrived, I would have never pulled it off so perfectly and beautifully! Everyone at Four Seasons treated us like royalty even though we were only staying one night. So... if you are like us... and only get to live like a king for one day...do at the Four Seasons Manele Bay!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Living on the west coast, I've been spoiled at how easy it is to get to Hawaii--nonstop flights to all of the major islands, then pick up a car and be at our destination in an hour or less. Door to door, it took 12 hours to get to Manele Bay, connecting through Honolulu (where the commuter terminal was nearly a half hour walk from our arrival gate). Worth it? Absolutely, but we will go through Maui next time (we did that on the way out and it was much easier). The 15-minute flight on the Mokulele Express is a fun trip. There is also a 45-minute ferry to/from Lahaina, but we flew.

From the second you step off the plane, the Four Seasons takes care of you. They meet all arriving guests at the airport with preprinted luggage tags and shuttle you to the resorts (Manele Bay or the Lodge at Koele). It was about a 20 minute drive to Manele Bay, and I wondered what we would find as all we saw on the way was scrubby desolation. Then we turned into the resort, which was the exact opposite. The grounds were lush, tropical, gorgeous. Hotel staff greeted us with beads, cold drinks and even colder towels. Each party on our shuttle was then seated at a table in the open air bar area, where someone checked us in as we looked at the ocean--no waiting in line and watching someone stare at a computer screen.

We had a good-sized, full ocean view room with a fabulous bath and lanai with a table, chairs and sofa. The room furnishings included a very comfortable king bed, a desk and chairs, comfy chair and ottoman. There was a large closet, but no real dresser except for some hard to get to space behind doors under the TV. However, we found that the drawers in the nightstands and the shelves in the closet provided enough space. There was a bar with fridge, which was stocked daily with bottled water and coffee creamers. The Four Seasons will stock it with additional items from a menu. A tote bag for use at the resort is provided in the room--you can leave it behind or buy it.

One of the things I loved best about the resort is that almost everything is open air or outdoors. You walk through breezeways, not hallways, to your room. The bar and restaurants are open air or poolside. It is just lovely. And the resort staff are committed to your comfort. At the pool and beach, they know exactly how to set up your chair and umbrella for full shade, partial shade, no shade. Without you ever asking, they offer water--to drink, be spritzed on your face, in moist cold towels. They come by with a cleaning cloth for your sunglasses or regular glasses and clean them for you. They offer hors d'ourvre and little smoothies. Sunscreen is on tap at their station. Delightful. Of course, you can also order food and drink for purchase from the pool bar from the circulating wait staff.

There are two hiking trails and a jogging trail (we're not golfers, so I can't comment on the golf facilities). We hiked to Sweetheart Rock--not very demanding, but very nice. We took the shuttle into Lanai City--there didn't seem to be much going on there (but other guests told us they had a great dinner at the Grille)--and to the Lodge, where we had lunch and walked around the lovely grounds (guests at each of the resorts can use the other). It was nearly empty and very different from Manele Bay--not at all beachy.

We split our vacation between Manele Bay and another island, and knew as we left Manele Bay that we hadn't stayed long enough. We will stay longer next time.

Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We came in on Monday...greeted by the shell horns blowing with cool washcloths and leis. The staff here treats you like their only purpose in life is to make you happy and comfortable. We did not have an ocean view room, but the view of the garden was beautiful and peaceful nonetheless. I am sitting on my lanai right now writing this review, listening to the peaceful sounds of the birds and e waterfall in the garden. The room is beautiful. The bed and pillows are PERFECT...linens are amazing. Everything down to the bathroom amenities are very nice. The pool staff is wonderful as well. They are there with towels, get your umbrella perfect, serve you complimentary cold water or lemonade, periodically spritz you with cool spray if you wish...and have comp sunscreen if you need it. Food and drinks are a little spendy at the pool and within the resort, but we knew that before we chose this destination. All of the food we have had so far has been INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS!

We rented a jeep yesterday and explored. Not a lot of paved roads here so if you choose that activiy, choose clothing you don't mind getting ruined. Even if you don't think you're getting dirty, you are, and the red dirt is stubborn to clean...even off of your body! Tomorrow is a chartered fishing trip then a massage in the spa in the afternoon. Husband is going trap shooting up at the Lodge. Cool little shops in town for take home gifts....I recommend going to a little shop called "Dis and Dat".

Highly recommend. Wonderful and relaxing...oh and, the local people are very friendly as well.

Room Tip: I can't imagine any room here being less than great, but next time I will upgrade to an ocean vi...
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Great way to spend a vacation in Hawaii. From the minute we arrived off of the boat from Maui we were greeted with Necklaces from the Four Seasons bus drivers. When we exited the bus we were greeted with fresh cold towels and cold adult beverages. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We arrived before check in so we asked if we could wait by the pool and the receptionist said that would be no problem. So off with the cover up and into the pool. The room was ready quicker than they noted and our bags were waiting on us in the room. Now that's service !!!!! Dinner and Breakfast was very good and the waitresses were very nice. Rooms were clean and our view was spectacular. Almost forgot the BEACH. The staff waits on you at the beach, I have never had that kind of service and it was worth every penny.

Cynthia Karkoska

Room Tip: Garden room with a Ocean view was very nice for the price.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were referred to the FS Resort at Manele Bay by a resident of Maui while on a business flight. She knew from talking together that my wife and I had been to Hawaii many times and we loved Maui and Kauai, and had tried the Kona side of the big island as well. I have business on Oahu, so, I am very familar with that island as well. So, she asked me about Lana'i. I had no clue and just accepted her recommendation at face value. So, we stayed outside of Lahaina at a B&B, then the Grand Wailea, and then we took the ferry to the FS Resort at Manele Bay to finish our trip.
First of all, the ferry works very well for getting there and there is no real reason to rent a car except maybe for a day to explore. The resort runs a bus up to the other Resort at the Lodge on the top of the hill all day long, so getting to Lanai City is a breeze. We'll get to that.
On the Ferry, don't worry about bringing what you need. You could probably pack your VW bug with you if you can get it in a rack. The ferry guys just don't care what you bring and coolers, bikes, and bags are normal. The main thing is to be able to physically handle it.
At the dock, the resort folks couldn't be more welcoming and take care of your bags and shuttle to the resort. These folks are excellent and their service is without reproach. On to the resort, you get greeted by staff and taken to a waiting lounge, no check in lines here. At the lounge, your hosts tell you what's going on, and send you a representative to do the all important money end of the reservation. After a nice cool drink and looking over the very ordinary pool area, you are impressed with the appearance and the quiet. Then off to your room. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are fine. They are not spectacular and we did spend the money to upgrade to a front bay view, but the garden rooms would have been fine. They are clean, functional, spacious, and nice, but not amazing or anything that requires much discussion. The lanai is spacious and has a nice table and outdoor couch. At night it is so quiet and peaceful, you will hang out there or in the early morning. You can't resist.
The pool area is again ordinary, but the service from the pool staff, which is required, is excellent and polite. It is so nice not to have misbehaved kids being noisy and splashing you and a bunch of people walking in front of you like the Grand Wailea. It was so comparatively quiet and peaceful, that the lack of pool quality means nothing.
But then off to the Bay where you should spend your time. This is one of the best beach/water/snorkeling areas I have been to without driving to the far west side of Kauai. The beach attendants take care of your every need and the diving/snorkeling is amazing. Our last day was spent swimming with dozens of dolphins peacefully in the bay, not like some schlocky pool on the grounds like at Waikoloa Village. This is in bay wild dolphins and you simply snorkel within their pods peacefully and they allow it. Very cool and do NOT come to this resort without an underwater camera capability. I did and when I was surrounded by over two dozen dolphins, and a sea turtle grazing at the bottom of the 50' depth I was in at that time, I had no way to record it. Stupid on my part. Go prepared to see wonderful sea life if you snorkel. We didn't dive there, so I can't comment on dive services.
I would recommend dinner up at the lodge as well.

The downsides are few, and can be overcome. So, we will be brief.
1. Lanai City hates tourists. When you go to their stores, they sneer at you and act like you are something disgusting they don't want there. Don't bother. Very rude and unpleasant. We went into four establishments and the result was the same in each. Waste of time.
2. There are very few food options at the resort and it is all very expensive. The solution is stop at the Safeway in Lahaina and pack up a big bag of stuff you can you get into your room refrigerator so you can have a sandwich without paying 50.00 for it. Bring some wine as well for your room.
3. The pool is boring. Sorry, but for those looking for river pools, this isn't the place.
4. The rooms are a bit high for what you get, but the service and the facility is very nice so it is a slight downside. Look for deals.

Summary: Peaceful, really nice people, and a beautiful nearly private bay with a gorgeous beach. Can't lose here. But your wallet will be lighter.

Room Tip: Higher floors, and spend some time looking around and then go back and negotiate. Don't get push...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Aloha Edge_In_Oregon,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay and found the service to be exceptional throughout the resort - from our recreation and pool staff to the warm welcome upon check-in. The poolside hourly amenities of Evian spritzes, sunglass cleaning and fruit skewers make for a luxurious stay in paradise. Hulopoe Bay, just steps from the resort, is a protected marine preserve and allows guests to enjoy an underwater world teeming with fish. Glad you were able to enjoy it and mahalo for offering the tip to bring an underwater camera! We appreciate your additional feedback regarding the culinary options and are currently exploring additional options for guests. We truly appreciate your thoughtful comments so that we make identify areas of improvements. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Thank you again for visiting!

Warmest regards,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Just finished a two night stay at this hotel and it was my first time ever to Lanai.

We loved this hotel! We had a room with a full ocean view. It was amazing, but just saying it doesn't do it justice. Full balcony with chairs, table, and a sofa. We spent a lot of time sitting there and taking naps on the sofa.

The hotel is huge! But I didn't mind the walk from our room to the lobby. The grounds are really quiet because there aren't that many guests.

The pool was a good size. I never went it in, but saw it. Never looked too crowded. I know it's not massive like other hotels, but it's a good size.

The hotel is right on Hulopoe Bay. A short walk to the beach. Further down is a great hike to Sweetheart Rock. Do it! But don't do it if you're scared of heights. I'm glad I did it, but it was a bit scary up there. At least go to the lower part and see Sweetheart Rock and the view of the hotel and ocean from there. The scarier one goes up higher.

We ate breakfast and dinner there. Expensive, but that's expected. The setting for the restaurants were amazing though, especially Fresco's which was right by the ocean. Beautiful!

I used the fitness center a couple times. Good size. Fresh towels. Views of the pool and ocean.

Everyone I came across was extremely friendly. Not complaints with the service anywhere.

I saw that people complained about the property being a bit old. I didn't get that feeling. Yes it needs a bit of work and every single day i saw different workers painting and fixing things. Yes there are cracks in some places, but why are you noticing the cracks when there's the ocean nearby and the smell of flowers?

I loved it and enjoyed how relaxing and quiet it was.

Room Tip: Get a full ocean view if you can. Truly amazing!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Aloha bhsu21,

Greetings from Hawaii! Thanks for your great review of the property. I'm so glad to learn you enjoyed the island, resort and especially your beautiful room with a full ocean view. The panoramic ocean views, combined with the luxurious accommodations and excellent service make for an incredible getaway to the island. The coastal hiking trails are beautiful as well and as you mentioned, suited to all levels. Thank you again for taking the time to write about your recent stay. We hope to see you again soon!

A hui hou,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay? Share your experiences!